Stadium and pitch investment

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

TBH calling those drawings approximations would be polite. 

They do literally say they would retain the south stand and a 'podium' (i.e. a raised platform area) would be built outside.

39 minutes ago, bendan said:

They do literally say they would retain the south stand and a 'podium' (i.e. a raised platform area) would be built outside.

Ah right, missed that detail (disclaimer, was still pished from last night).

1 hour ago, bendan said:

It would obviously cost a lot but what's being suggested I can't see why this would even be close to £1bn. It's not going to be internally like Tottenham's stadium, and I don't think they'd do a lot to the south stand other than external alterations.

Well for a current example: a few days ago it was confirmed Everton's new stadium is now costing £760m... it's 20% smaller with no retractable roof or pitch, only 1 different stand, and on an empty site.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Well for a current example: a few days ago it was confirmed Everton's new stadium is now costing £760m... it's 20% smaller with no retractable roof or pitch, only 1 different stand, and on an empty site.

Does that include filling in the dock and all the retaining walls etc for the new land? Weren't they having to bring material in by ship? That will be more expensive. And we can't compare anything to Spurs, which is both a bit of a vanity project and also in London where costs are much higher.

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

The £760m figure is disputed by people working for Everton, but even if true, Hampden wouldn't be including anything like the internal suites and facilities of a stadium like that.

The main stand at Hampden would be retained and it contains the most expensive facilities. You could spend £500m on the other three sides, but I don't think that means you have to. It would have far less hospitality than Everton/Tottenham etc, for example, as there aren't enough games to justify the cost. 

1 hour ago, bendan said:

The £760m figure is disputed by people working for Everton, but even if true, Hampden wouldn't be including anything like the internal suites and facilities of a stadium like that.

The main stand at Hampden would be retained and it contains the most expensive facilities. You could spend £500m on the other three sides, but I don't think that means you have to. It would have far less hospitality than Everton/Tottenham etc, for example, as there aren't enough games to justify the cost. 

Exactly. A stadium used for internationals and cup finals etc won’t have anything like the amount of hospitality and daily/weekly revenue generating facilities that a club stadium has and needs.

I think a better comparison would be Cardiff Arms Park/Millennium Stadium/Principality stadium, whatever they’re calling it now. An existing stadium with no land to buy, on essentially the same footprint, re-purposing some of the stands/facilities.

Just because some stadiums cost exorbitant amounts of money doesn’t mean they all have to. I’m sure there are many very impressive stadiums around the world that have been built on relatively small budgets when compared to a the likes of Spurs or Everton.

Edited by Tattie36

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Just because some stadiums cost exorbitant amounts of money doesn’t mean they all have to. I’m sure there are many very impressive stadiums around the world that have been built on relatively small budgets when compared to a the likes of Spurs or Everton.

Yes, I don't know why Tottenham have come to set some kind of standard for what a sports stadium costs. It's a gigantic hospitality venue.

The GAA want to rebuild Casemount Park as a 34,000 capacity stadium. Recent estimates put it at £110-120m (well up on initial estimates of £70m). Should we let them know that as it's more than half the size of Tottenham's ground it's going to cost £400m+?

It’s fantastic that the issues with Hampden are at least being acknowledged. I had thought that those in power had convinced themselves that Hampden was an elite European stadium with no need for anything done to it. 
It certainly is not. These plans will probably come to nothing, but step one is always admitting we have a problem. 

On 10/06/2023 at 21:34, Tattie36 said:

Exactly. A stadium used for internationals and cup finals etc won’t have anything like the amount of hospitality and daily/weekly revenue generating facilities that a club stadium has and needs.

I think a better comparison would be Cardiff Arms Park/Millennium Stadium/Principality stadium, whatever they’re calling it now. An existing stadium with no land to buy, on essentially the same footprint, re-purposing some of the stands/facilities.

I would disagree. Hampden is used extensively for events/conferences etc throughout the week and most weekends, given that it hasn’t had a team playing week to week. Wembley will be similar in comparison to London clubs.

I think people would be surprised as to what’s inside the South Stand if they haven’t been in.

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

Did they start at 10 minutes?

Yes. Technically the game wasn’t suspended until a few minutes of discussions had taken place after the goal, and the clock wasn’t stopped until the ref actually summoned the players off.

Does however mean there should be at least four minutes of added time before the interval. 

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Yes. Technically the game wasn’t suspended until a few minutes of discussions had taken place after the goal, and the clock wasn’t stopped until the ref actually summoned the players off.

Does however mean there should be at least four minutes of added time before the interval. 

Ah, that explains why there were 4 minutes added to the end of the first half despite no injuries or subs. We were late in due to problems at turnstiles so had no idea where the added time came from. 

4 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Mibbe a bit of investigation work needed re pitch drainage issues?

Oh stop it....... it was a fekin cloudburst ......get it?

Every pitch.....natural grass or not....would not have coped with that amount of sudden water.

Behave.

6 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Oh stop it....... it was a fekin cloudburst ......get it?

Every pitch.....natural grass or not....would not have coped with that amount of sudden water.

Behave.

What about the roof? East stand toilets had to be closed last night because the ceiling came down due to the rain. 
place needs ripped up and rebuilt.

and the pitch has done that before against San Marino 6-0. Almost unplayable that night aswell.

45 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

What about the roof? East stand toilets had to be closed last night because the ceiling came down due to the rain. 
place needs ripped up and rebuilt.

and the pitch has done that before against San Marino 6-0. Almost unplayable that night aswell.

Agree with the state of toilets etc, was in the East Stand and the water coming through lights etc was ridiculous. However the ground with the weather recently wouldn't have been able to absorb that biblical downpour.  The game shouldn't have been started and had everything done between being stopped and started could have kicked off a lot earlier than half 9.  Even Clarke was waving his arms minutes in to stop it. 

ETA - Is there not work getting done on the pitch soon, hence the ridiculous decision to not have QP play there till end of September.

Edited by callum-ayr

16 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Mibbe a bit of investigation work needed re pitch drainage issues?

There was nearly a weeks worth of rain in about 10 minutes. There doesn’t always need to be something to blame.