Raith Rovers vs Queen's Park

Good performance today with McDonald’s penalty save the highlight.  Great to be hanging in for our play off ambitions, although still very much an outside bet. Hamilton on Tuesday another huge game. Three points to edge up the table but a win and we’re officially a Championship team next season. 

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I missed it at the time, but that stamp from Fox is absolutely rank behaviour. Glad the linesman caught it. 

Madness, because up till then Fox was one of Queen’s best players…and now he’s gone for at least two matches.

Looking at the PK, it seems Jamie waited and saw the plant foot angled wide left and dived to his right in response…very impressive if he had the nerve to wait for that to dive.

Great performance from us today and a good way to bounce back from last weekend. Watching the highlights, it occurs to me that we've developed a bit of a thing for shooting from halfway if we spot the opposition keeper off his line. Frederiksen vs Queen's Park in the Challenge Cup and vs Cove in the league (albeit the latter with disastrous consequences...), Isma vs Rangers, and now Easton today. Don't recall seeing so much of this in previous seasons. I wonder if it's something Murray is training our forwards to look out for and try if the circumstances are right, or if it's just coincidence?

13 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This is disingenuous pish, to be honest. We were good today, we gave QP a bit of a hiding, especially in the second half. Gave them no time on the ball and we were better at the dirty side of the game throughout. Ferrie got his angles all wrong at the second goal, Vaughan should never be able to drill the ball across him from there. Akio should really have sealed the deal at the end, pretty straight forward lob finish. But the game was done by then. Beat Hamilton on Tuesday and it’s game on! 

Almost forgot, that was Scott Brown’s best performance of the season, in a long list of great performance. Love him, a fantastic centre midfielder. Delighted he’s signed for next season, an absolute dynamo in the middle of the park. Player of the season by a distance, for me. 

Yep.  Absolutely fantastic signing.  Can carry the ball a good 20/30 yards up the pitch and is absolutely vital to how we play.

Ended up absolutely strolling that game, Queens were really poor indeed.  Not for the first time this season, it should have been more to be honest.

Good reaction to Sunday, and just about keeps the season alive.

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Madness, because up till then Fox was one of Queen’s best players…and now he’s gone for at least two matches.

Looking at the PK, it seems Jamie waited and saw the plant foot angled wide left and dived to his right in response…very impressive if he had the nerve to wait for that to dive.

Vaughan was also pointing in that direction just before Thomas took it. Not sure if that had any bearing or not. 

Unfortunately Murray’s departure seems to have killed our chances of winning this league. A real shame but that doesn’t take away that certain players have been underperforming for a wee while now. I’m a massive fan of Grant Savoury and I think he’ll go on to have an excellent career but how he continues to be starting at the moment is beyond me. He looks miles off it and the amount of times he lost the ball yesterday was incredible. 

The Connor Shields hype train seems to have came to a premature halt. Started off like a house on fire but he’s been posted missing for a few weeks now. He needs to do more even if things aren’t going his way in terms of service. Why we decided to bring McPake back from nowhere was pretty incredible. Another dreadful performance. I’m not saying Healy is a world beater at this stage but surely he’s done more to deserve a start now ? 

It’s a young group and slumps were inevitable. It’s just unfortunate our worst patch of the season has came at this point in time. Play offs are more fun to get promotion from anyway 😬

Also please start Jake Davidson. For me, there hasn’t been a legitimate reason to drop him over the last couple weeks and he’s improved in pretty much all areas of his game as the season has progressed. No surprises we lose two on the trot as soon as he drops to the bench. We looked scared on the ball again yesterday yet Davidson is one of the few that’s pretty fearless running at players. I like Oakley but is he giving much going forward recently ? 

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

I missed it too at the time.  Uncharacteristic of him, he is seldom booked.

30 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Also please start Jake Davidson. For me, there hasn’t been a legitimate reason to drop him over the last couple weeks and he’s improved in pretty much all areas of his game as the season has progressed. No surprises we lose two on the trot as soon as he drops to the bench. We looked scared on the ball again yesterday yet Davidson is one of the few that’s pretty fearless running at players. I like Oakley but is he giving much going forward recently ? 

Oakley is a better defensive option than Davidson who is, I believe, a midfielder by trade, and for all his attacking strengths is prone to getting caught out of position.

Neither fullback was overlapping yesterday, which is a big part of our attacking play, which really seemed to limit our options. Tactical change perhaps? If so I didn't help us.

I can't and won't defend Fox. That stupidity could really cost us. On the game I can't help but feel that Jarrett and Davidson, particularly, should be in that starting eleven. Also, has there been a fall out between Williamson and Coyle? He just doesn't seem to get a chance right now when we really are struggling for strike power. Like others, I think the Murray decision is really coming back to haunt us. His enthusiasm alone was electric and wherever he ran he took two defenders with him.

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Unfortunately Murray’s departure seems to have killed our chances of winning this league. A real shame but that doesn’t take away that certain players have been underperforming for a wee while now. I’m a massive fan of Grant Savoury and I think he’ll go on to have an excellent career but how he continues to be starting at the moment is beyond me. He looks miles off it and the amount of times he lost the ball yesterday was incredible. 

The Connor Shields hype train seems to have came to a premature halt. Started off like a house on fire but he’s been posted missing for a few weeks now. He needs to do more even if things aren’t going his way in terms of service. Why we decided to bring McPake back from nowhere was pretty incredible. Another dreadful performance. I’m not saying Healy is a world beater at this stage but surely he’s done more to deserve a start now ? 

It’s a young group and slumps were inevitable. It’s just unfortunate our worst patch of the season has came at this point in time. Play offs are more fun to get promotion from anyway 😬

Indeed. McPake starting was nearly as perplexing as the 4 out of 5 star Google review for the Esplanade Bar 😄

Although tbf McPake is a very rightfooted player so we are never going to get the best out of him on the left wing.  If he must play I would like to see him on the right and sometimes switching left with Dom during games to freshenen up the attack.

9 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Oakley is a better defensive option than Davidson who is, I believe, a midfielder by trade, and for all his attacking strengths is prone to getting caught out of position.

Neither fullback was overlapping yesterday, which is a big part of our attacking play, which really seemed to limit our options. Tactical change perhaps? If so I didn't help us.

Oakley may well be a better player defensively but our success this season has been built on attacking, fearless football. The full backs play a massive part in that. There’s certainly more pros than cons to Davidson starting in the team. Again, not saying Davidson is the second coming of Cafu but I think we need to start playing the way that got us to the top of the league in the first place 

3 minutes ago, an86 said:

Cowardly stamp by Fox. Received nowhere near the shit that came Eze’s way, earlier in the season, for his recent abject performances. 

Totally agree. He’s been atrocious recently and that red card summed it up.  I don’t know if he’s been given an instruction to not drive into the space when on the ball now cause he seems to have lost all confidence with his distribution and rarely does his marauding runs anymore. That’s what separated him from other defenders in this league

The suspension might do him some good. He looks like he needed a couple games out the team. He’ll need to do a lot better if he’s got aspirations of moving to a bigger club next season