St Johnstone v Ross County - 08/04/23

On 04/04/2023 at 09:45, perthsaint1977 said:

Away win. Gwion Edwards to run the defence ragged

He's looked very impressive on our right since he signed in January, but hobbled off injured on Sunday (hamstring tweek maybe?) so he has to be doubtful for this match.

There's been no sign of Dhanda for a couple of weeks so hopefully he was just kept away from the celtic game (where they get free license to kick players) and is available for Saturday 🤞

Anything other than 3 points would be VERY depressing for County.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Surely the Saints fans don’t think they’ll be dragged into it? There’s little to no chance we’ll get 8 points between now and the end of the season.

You  could quite easily get six of these points against us,

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf we should score as it seems like County are absymal for conceding goals away from home.

They also score little.

So a dirge of a 1-0 might be the order of the day.

They didn't concede on their last visit to Perth.

If I got my way, we'd play with a back 4 (how many times are saying that this season!). Realistically, we'll play the same system and because of that, I'd change both Considine (obviously) and Hallberg out for Mitchell and McPherson (assuming fit).

Wotherspoon playing actually helped both Wright and May, as he's always looking for a ball in behind the defence, which is something we don't actually do. Rudden deserves another go, as he had an unenviable task last week up top on his own really and does work very hard. Hallberg is now needing dropped for his own good, he was woeful on Saturday to the point where he was making Crawford a more attractive option. The only issue we will have and I think it was obvious on Saturday, is that without a left footer in the defence, all our attacks come down the right and it makes us super obvious to pay against!

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youve to play us twice...

Our, flukey, win over you in Dingwall is the only reason we have more points than you since the World Cup ended. Yer man doesnt get sent off then theres a high chance you win that.

Our last "six pointer" v a side below us saw Killie absolutely batter us and be denied going 2 goals up (an unassailable lead against us) by the ref missing a blatant handball.

We've not won at home since the start of November. We've not kept a clean sheet at home since the end of October.

We'll have neither Andy Considine and Nicky Clark for this game.

If we lose v County, theres every chance we just spiral and collapse, because its happened consistently throughout Davidsons 3 seasons in charge and hes never been able to fully end it without introducing new players (Season 1 we only won 4 of our first 23 games, January saw Middleton come in and score with Melamed also fully introduced/Season 2 we were doomed until Hallberg came in and started setting up Hendry for a goal every week).

I think we could should easily win at least 1 of our remaining 8 matches, but remember we had a 10 game winless run in the league with a team that won the double and was stronger than this one. Callum Davidson cannot break a rut.

Every point you make is completely valid, and your knowledge of Saints is far superior to mine. However, by the same token, you lot battered us in Perth at the start of the season and ultimately should’ve won that game. We’ve scored 8 goals on the road all season, and haven’t won on the road since October. We’re without our one key creative outlet, and we still don’t know our best team 3 games before the split. Yous might be poor, but we’re just as bad. It’s Ross County yous are playing, no Barcelona f**k sake.

I can’t see us taking anything from this game. 1-0.

Edited by Matty-RCFC

21 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

He's looked very impressive on our right since he signed in January, but hobbled off injured on Sunday (hamstring tweek maybe?) so he has to be doubtful for this match.

There's been no sign of Dhanda for a couple of weeks so hopefully he was just kept away from the celtic game (where they get free license to kick players) and is available for Saturday 🤞

(P&J) Edwards is out along with Callaghan and Dhanda. We're hoping Dhanda will be back for the Aberdeen game next week. No timescale on Callaghan & Edwards. Watson also nursing an achilles issue.

Baldwin will be back this weekend so I suggest he’ll go straight back into the team despite being a walking red card for the last 6 months. I suppose we will line up something like this:

Laidlaw

Smith-Baldwin-Iacovitti

Randall-Loturi-Cancola-Kenneh-Harmon

White-Brophy

There is a depressing lack of creativity in that side. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to start Owura over Smith and drop Randall back one. He also may potentially move a midfielder up one and start Murray just in behind instead. One things for sure, there will not be a lot of goals on Saturday.

43 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Baldwin will be back this weekend so I suggest he’ll go straight back into the team despite being a walking red card for the last 6 months. I suppose we will line up something like this:

Laidlaw

Smith-Baldwin-Iacovitti

Randall-Loturi-Cancola-Kenneh-Harmon

White-Brophy

There is a depressing lack of creativity in that side. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to start Owura over Smith and drop Randall back one. He also may potentially move a midfielder up one and start Murray just in behind instead. One things for sure, there will not be a lot of goals on Saturday.

Baldwin is suspended. 

It's a standard two-match ban, but there is an extra game added on if you have already been sent off earlier in the season. Baldwin was one of two County thugs to receive a retrospective red in your win over us up in Dingwall at the start of the season.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's a standard two-match ban, but there is an extra game added on if you have already been sent off earlier in the season. Baldwin was one of two County thugs to receive a retrospective red in your win over us up in Dingwall at the start of the season.

Thugs? 😂 Try inept.  
If only Callachan and Baldwin were in the slightest bit thuggish we maybe wouldn’t be where we are.

23 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Every point you make is completely valid, and your knowledge of Saints is far superior to mine. However, by the same token, you lot battered us in Perth at the start of the season and ultimately should’ve won that game. We’ve scored 8 goals on the road all season, and haven’t won on the road since October. We’re without our one key creative outlet, and we still don’t know our best team 3 games before the split. Yous might be poor, but we’re just as bad. It’s Ross County yous are playing, no Barcelona f**k sake.

I can’t see us taking anything from this game. 1-0.

FWIW our manager seems to be admitting to the media hes viewing this as a "must not lose" game, with hints we're going to play a 5-4-1 shape.

Can you email him and remind him youre not Barcelona too please?

Fully expect a County win one way or another, whether it's Callum's shite brand of borefest 'football' or whether our disciplinary record continues.

Those saying we are already safe are in cloud cuckoo land, County win this, we are sucked right back in.

Fully expect that to be the case at 5pm on Saturday.

Oh, and f**k Callum Davidson!

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Preventing a goalscoring opportunity is a one-match ban these days, but as a result of

a) the retro suspension from the Killie match in August, and
b) the sending off vs St Johnstone in Dingwall for another instance of preventing a goalscoring opportunity,

he has had two matches added on top of the one-match suspension from the Motherwell red card (also for preventing a goalscoring opportunity).

Edited by bunglebonce