Team of the Season

13 hours ago, Grant228 said:

With only three games remaining, and most of the playoff positions etc seemingly decided, who would make your team of the season? 

Gk - Mehmet - An absolutely insane amount of clean sheets, while the defence in front of him have done a grand job protecting him, when he has been called upon he's normally been safe and assured. He's also fantastic at time wasting. 

RB - Comrie - One of the positions I've really struggled with, Ballantyne had a big reputation but hasn't had the best of seasons it seems and seems to have played left back recently? Smith-Rowe at Falkirk has looked good and I could understand his inclusion, in the end Comrie gets in account of being part of a defensive unit which has performed so well, while his attacking output could be better no opposition winger has had the better of him, very solid defensively. 

CB - Benedictus - Will sweep the player of the year awards at Dunfermline, I never anticipated him being such a great signing but he's been fantastic, I don't think he's missed a single league minute. 

CB - Donaldson - I'm quite a fan of his, a very good signing for Falkirk. 

LB - Edwards - The best LB in the league, a fantastic attacking outlet while also being v solid defensively. 

RM - Morrison - A  really good season from him, 12 goals and 7 assists from a wide position is some going! 

CM - Todd - What a season from the young man, 9 goals, many of them absolute stunners. 

CM - Frizzel - Airdrie have been v good when we've played them and Frizzel is normally at the centre that, it was fortunate for the rest of the league that he missed a few games through injury. 

LM - Ritchie-Hosler - I struggled allot with this pick, KRH is probably the best wide midfielder I've seen this season, however there might be a bit of recency bias with that, considered putting Gabby McGill here who I think had played a wide role? 

ST - Gallagher - My two picks will seem horrendously predictable here, I've just went for the two top scorers! 20 goals is a fantastic haul. The best part time striker in Scotland? 

ST - Paton - 19 goals for Paton and with him being out of contract you'd imagine he'll have a few interested parties. Honorable mention to Burrell who I think had the second best mpg, however McGlynn has preferred Oliver for good swathes of the season, thankfully. 

You'll always have biased towards your own players, and I'm sure the RB and LM position will have a few different picks, however the other 9 are set IMO. 

Really agree with this one, only switch I'd make is Hendo for Frizzell, if Max had a full season it would be him. That probably goes down to bias. Dunfermline x Falkirk XI ft. Paton and Gallacher. Honourable mention to Agyeman for his first half of the season.

14 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

GK - Deniz Mehmet - not one I thought would be in this discussion at the start of the season but the number of clean sheets speaks for itself. Also don’t think he’s missed a minute of a season where it feels like there’s been an inordinately high number of different goalkeepers used. 

RB - Aaron Comrie - really impressed with his games against us including scoring a good goal at the Recs. 

CB - Kyle Benedictus - 3/3 for the Pars so far, absolutely strolled the games against us as it appears he did for most of the season. An absolute leader on the pitch and probably my pick for POTY. 

CB - Sean Dillon - bossed his games against us and his battle with fellow Irishman Conor Sammon in the first meeting was an absolute classic tussle. Was surprised with his ability on the ball in the 2nd game with us, was the man starting everything and driving Montrose forward. 

LB - Daniel Church - going with a bit of a homer pick with Churchy as Josh Edwards is the obvious pick, but he has been a revelation for us this season. His 2 goals and 6 assists in 26 games shades Edwards 2 & 5 in 32 so will use that as the excuse for picking him! A player I wouldn’t have re-signed last summer, went from losing his place at the start of the season (despite being the only left back at the club) to becoming one of the first names on the team sheet. 

RM - Calum Morrison - for me he has the ability to be one of the best players in League 1 and is always a threat against us. His pace is frightening and although his final decision making has been a bit questionable in the past, seems to have been far more consistent this season. 

CM - Iain Wilson - wanted a more defensive midfielder so going with Wilson over the more attacking Frizzell (who has also been excellent) although both have had injuries that have affected their seasons. Oozes class in the middle of the park and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. 

CM - Matty Todd - only 21 but looks an incredible talent who has also chipped in with goals. Would probably be the only player I would say could usurp Benedictus in my league POTY vote. 

LM - Gabby McGill - probably played more through the middle or on the right but his 13 goals and 8 assists have to get him in my team. His goals were right at the heart of Airdrie’s phenomenal goal scoring run. 

CF - Ruari Paton - should have scored a lot more than the 3 goals he got against us this season, looks an absolute handful for defenders to deal with. Be interesting where he ends up next year. 

CF - Callum Gallagher - always seems to score against Alloa and, to be fair, pretty much everyone else this season. Always regarded him as a bit of a tap in merchant hanging about the 6 yard box but his work rate and link up outside the area this year caught my eye. 

And yet Brian Rice still gets criticism at times for not signing an "experienced left back" for this season. 

9 minutes ago, printer said:

And yet Brian Rice still gets criticism at times for not signing an "experienced left back" for this season. 

I was absolutely one of them, I would have kept Williamson over Church, the level of improvement in Church’s game versus last year has been really impressive. Think it speaks volumes how much his presence on the left was missed recently while he was injured, despite having Taggs filling in there. 

15 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

I was absolutely one of them, I would have kept Williamson over Church, the level of improvement in Church’s game versus last year has been really impressive. Think it speaks volumes how much his presence on the left was missed recently while he was injured, despite having Taggs filling in there. 

Yeah, but you have recognised how much he has come on. Some haven't.

He's still much better going forwards than defensively, but it's going to be interesting watching him (and Stanger) careers, even if that is away from Alloa.

17 hours ago, Grant228 said:

With only three games remaining, and most of the playoff positions etc seemingly decided, who would make your team of the season? 

Gk - Mehmet - An absolutely insane amount of clean sheets, while the defence in front of him have done a grand job protecting him, when he has been called upon he's normally been safe and assured. He's also fantastic at time wasting. 

RB - Comrie - One of the positions I've really struggled with, Ballantyne had a big reputation but hasn't had the best of seasons it seems and seems to have played left back recently? Smith-Rowe at Falkirk has looked good and I could understand his inclusion, in the end Comrie gets in account of being part of a defensive unit which has performed so well, while his attacking output could be better no opposition winger has had the better of him, very solid defensively. 

CB - Benedictus - Will sweep the player of the year awards at Dunfermline, I never anticipated him being such a great signing but he's been fantastic, I don't think he's missed a single league minute. 

LB - Edwards - The best LB in the league, a fantastic attacking outlet while also being v solid defensively. 

RM - Morrison - A  really good season from him, 12 goals and 7 assists from a wide position is some going! 

CM - Todd - What a season from the young man, 9 goals, many of them absolute stunners. 

CM - Frizzel - Airdrie have been v good when we've played them and Frizzel is normally at the centre that, it was fortunate for the rest of the league that he missed a few games through injury. 

LM - Ritchie-Hosler - I struggled allot with this pick, KRH is probably the best wide midfielder I've seen this season, however there might be a bit of recency bias with that, considered putting Gabby McGill here who I think had played a wide role? 

ST - Gallagher - My two picks will seem horrendously predictable here, I've just went for the two top scorers! 20 goals is a fantastic haul. The best part time striker in Scotland? 

ST - Paton - 19 goals for Paton and with him being out of contract you'd imagine he'll have a few interested parties. Honorable mention to Burrell who I think had the second best mpg, however McGlynn has preferred Oliver for good swathes of the season, thankfully. 

You'll always have biased towards your own players, and I'm sure the RB and LM position will have a few different picks, however the other 9 are set IMO. 

Yeah agree with most of this, Fontaine possibly for Donaldson and maybe a case for Gabby McGill on the wing instead of KRH mans been scoring for fun 2nd half of the season from the wing.

Since I'm dodging this till Saturday night, I'll give a team which won't include any of the Pars, just to be different.

Hogarth

Back four:

Taggart Fontaine Brydon, Ballantyne

Midfield two.

Henderson, McGinn

Front four

McGill, Gallagher ,Paton, Morrison.

Maybe 4-4-2 is out of fashion mind you, so flexible subs needed!

54 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Since I'm dodging this till Saturday night, I'll give a team which won't include any of the Pars, just to be different.

Hogarth

Back four:

Taggart Fontaine Brydon, Ballantyne

Midfield two.

Henderson, McGinn

Front four

McGill, Gallagher ,Paton, Morrison.

Maybe 4-4-2 is out of fashion mind you, so flexible subs needed!

No problem, you've gone 4-2-4.

8 hours ago, printer said:

Think the criticism was definitely merited based on Church's performances last season. That said he is probably our most improved player this year and his goal at Kelty was one of my favourite of the season.

Edited by Magic Hat

Here goes 

Hogarth

Bene.    Fontaine.  Donaldson

Morrison  Frizzel  Mcginn   Church 

Todd    
           Gallagher.      Paton          

All been more than decent this season 

9 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Here goes 

Hogarth

Bene.    Fontaine.  Donaldson

Morrison  Frizzel  Mcginn   Church 

Todd    
           Gallagher.      Paton          

All been more than decent this season 

2 pars players. Lol.

11 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Think the criticism was definitely merited based on Church's performances last season. That said he is probably our most improved player this year and his goal at Kelty was one of my favourite of the season.

Imagine how much more he's enjoying his football since Barry Bawheid left taking his touchline negative haranguing with him! 😒

I think the best way to do this sort of thing is by picking a team which excludes anyone who plays for your own club.

I am struggling a bit with goalkeepers - generally we've ground teams down rather than bombard them with pressure and I can't really remember an outstanding display against us.  Similarly, I don't remember too many horrific mistakes.  Left back is another one I'm having a problem with as Edwards looks the clear stand out, to me at least.  Anyway:

Rae

Craigen    Fontaine     Dillon     Church

Morrison   Scougall     Frizzel    Agyeman

Paton          Gallacher    

Donaldson probably deserves to be in there but didn't cover himself in glory in the biggest league game of the season.  Kelty have always looked better against us than their league position suggests, so I was close to pitching in Barjonas.  Always liked the look of Scougall though so he gets the nod.  Bit of artistic license with Agyeman on the left.

5 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I think the best way to do this sort of thing is by picking a team which excludes anyone who plays for your own club.

I am struggling a bit with goalkeepers - generally we've ground teams down rather than bombard them with pressure and I can't really remember an outstanding display against us.  Similarly, I don't remember too many horrific mistakes.  Left back is another one I'm having a problem with as Edwards looks the clear stand out, to me at least.  Anyway:

Rae

Craigen    Fontaine     Dillon     Church

Morrison   Scougall     Frizzel    Agyeman

Paton          Gallacher    

Donaldson probably deserves to be in there but didn't cover himself in glory in the biggest league game of the season.  Kelty have always looked better against us than their league position suggests, so I was close to pitching in Barjonas.  Always liked the look of Scougall though so he gets the nod.  Bit of artistic license with Agyeman on the left.

Just a tad of anti-Falkirkness there

On 16/04/2023 at 20:31, Grant228 said:

Donaldson over Breen is mental.

7 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

What do you expect?  As I said, Donaldson almost made it and Morrison is in.  

You've removed dunfermline, which makes Falkirk the highest ranked team to pick players from, you have more Alloa players, Airdrie players and Edinburgh players. Ridiculous

I can only go on the games I've seen. 

I think Morrison is your stand out player and you'd be further down the league without him.  I also think Airdrie have been better other than a run of 1 point from 15 back in October when they were hampered by injury.  I am therefore happy to concede that Falkirk have more depth than anyone else, but that's not really what this thread is about.

Others could have got in - maybe Rowe or Henderson - but I don't really like Falkirk and, in truth, you're one of several also rans well behind us so some of the calls are fairly marginal.  

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis