Team of the Season

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Some digging reveals that QOS are (apparently) one of the few clubs in the top 4 divisions who dont have a Hudl camera installed to upload games to WyScout, so a lot of their figures from home games are wrong/guesswork. I guess thats maybe boosted certain things if its completely wrong for Gibson or Todd to be rated so highly.

I have absolutely no idea what a "hudl camera installed" is. We film our games (using an actual person with a camera) and upload them wherever it is they are required to go. There's a Pixellot camera physically in the ground also as it was put there by the SPFL while we were in the Championship. We don't use it for ourselves though and as far as I am aware it's not been on at any point this season.

I don't think it's massively "wrong" for either Gibson or Todd, but neither should be in a team of the season for the league. Gibson's a 17 year old winger who has been a revelation after making his debut this season. He's scored 4 and has at least half a dozen assists and he's only started 16 games. He's a real prospect and we've high hopes for him but he's not currently in the starting eleven at QoS never mind the League. He's injured but even before that has mostly been on the bench in the last couple of months. His run of starts in the main was from November to January. Defending is by far the weakest part of his game though and opposing teams were not slow to notice that so listing him as a full back is fairly ludicrous. Statistically though his numbers are great for so little game time. Todd's under-rated by our fans as much as anyone else. I think he's had a good season, he's our captain and most creative player. He's scored 6 from midfield too and I hope he's here next season, but it's probably fair to say he's not even the best Todd in the division this season!

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

So like Pixalot then? So Queens will have one just don't use it (and why would they if they have one of the better streaming packages in the lower leagues?).

Wyscout isn't a streaming package though, it's a scouting and analytical tool. 

6 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

So like Pixalot then? So Queens will have one just don't use it (and why would they if they have one of the better streaming packages in the lower leagues?).

I'm pretty sure we don't have one. We have something very similar they use for training and for reserve matches occasionally. We don't generally use it at first team games as far as I know. And it's not from Hudl.

We don't have a streaming package at all, haven't streamed a game since the last home one of the relegation season. When we had a streaming package it was very good but we lost our outstanding commentator towards the end of that season as he got a job in real media with North Sound in Aberdeen. Got someone to cover the last 2 or 3 games last season but the team involved were all volunteers and when it wasn't required any more as Covid restrictions had gone they preferred to return to watching games themselves, which is entirely reasonable.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Defending is by far the weakest part of his game though and opposing teams were not slow to notice that so listing him as a full back is fairly ludicrous. 

Its just listed by position played, so if hes played as a wing back he gets put in the full back category. Hes also in the winger category as hes played further forward.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2023 at 15:54, Mr November said:

There’s usually four nominees for player of the year isn’t there? Todd, Benedictus, Paton and Gallagher seem like a solid group for that.

On 19/04/2023 at 20:59, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, and that does look a likely final four. Normal practice is for the top scorer and at least two players from the Champions. If the top scorer plays for the champions then possibly three for them, if it's a close title race then two each from the top two and somebody misses out if the top scorer isn't in the top two sides.

In this case with two clear battling over top scorer and Falkirk reasonably distant, I suspect we'll get two Dunfermline nominees added to Paton and Gallagher. Can't see Benedictus not being one of them. Will Matty Todd be well enough known among his peers to get a nomination bearing in mind it's opposition player votes that decide it?

Yep, spot on @Mr November, well done. Clearly Benedictus to win for me, but Dunfermline fans may well think differently.

With the exception of Clyde, I don't think we have seen a bad player when you compare them to what we were putting on the field.  However, I do take exception to the omission of all 182 players that we have used this season from everyone's team of the year.  😂

Nesbit instead of Chalmers and Morrison over Wighton is hilarious, can only assume the players were half pished when voting.

I'd have also had Donaldson over Fordyce but can imagine Fordyce gives folk a harder game.

Airdrie getting 2 defenders is a strange one - their defence hasn’t been that good. Can’t argue with the majority of it, but that’s a strange one. I’d definitely have put another CB in there ahead of Fordyce. Fontaine has been decent and Falkirk have the second best defence in the league.

6 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Airdrie getting 2 defenders is a strange one - their defence hasn’t been that good. Can’t argue with the majority of it, but that’s a strange one. I’d definitely have put another CB in there ahead of Fordyce. Fontaine has been decent and Falkirk have the second best defence in the league.

I do agree but Airdrie kept the most clean sheets outside of Dunfermline. Our main issue defensively is that we’re prone to having games where we’re a disaster at the back rather than being consistently poor. I don’t know when voting takes place but Fordyce and Ballantyne have both done very well over the last couple of months, so I can see why recency bias might have got them in.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I do agree but Airdrie kept the most clean sheets outside of Dunfermline. Our main issue defensively is that we’re prone to having games where we’re a disaster at the back rather than being consistently poor. I don’t know when voting takes place but Fordyce and Ballantyne have both done very well over the last couple of months, so I can see why recency bias might have got them in.

I get that each position is voted on individually and Fordyce is a good player. Personally, I’m just surprised Airdrie have the same number of players as us and, as I say, I think I’d take out one of their defenders to balance that out. But that’s not how it works, I know.

On their day, Airdrie have been a great team. But their defence has collapsed multiple times, as we’re all aware. Airdrie conceded 3 or more in 25% of their games. But, as you allude to, I think you got around 13 clean sheets? Consistency was clearly an issue with your defence and it was your defensive deficiencies that meant you didn’t challenge for the title in my opinion. So it surprises me that Airdrie players make up 50% of the back 4 in the team of the year.

21 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I get that each position is voted on individually and Fordyce is a good player. Personally, I’m just surprised Airdrie have the same number of players as us and, as I say, I think I’d take out one of their defenders to balance that out. But that’s not how it works, I know.

On their day, Airdrie have been a great team. But their defence has collapsed multiple times, as we’re all aware. Airdrie conceded 3 or more in 25% of their games. But, as you allude to, I think you got around 13 clean sheets? Consistency was clearly an issue with your defence and it was your defensive deficiencies that meant you didn’t challenge for the title in my opinion. So it surprises me that Airdrie players make up 50% of the back 4 in the team of the year.

Can't really disagree with that to be honest. I think Fordyce was way more consistent last season when he was a shoe in for team of the season and am very surprised he's there again this season.

ETA- what I will say about CF is that if you sat down a rational Scottish football fan and said "what would be an ideal league one centre half", he would be it.

Edited by cb_diamond

I could be wrong but I'm sure the voting takes place a few weeks before the end of the season, wouldn't shock me if it was when Nesbitt was the top assister in the league? 

Bannatyne and Fordyce are two odd inclusions but I've got no issue with Morrison over Wighton tbf. 

It's the player's choices and will certainly differ from many fans. I was surprised at Ballantyne where he has been a far more valuable left back than in the early season at right back: maybe he is seen as a 100% team player. CF is a quality L1 player who has had to deal with so many partners in the first half with management role, which did affect him in our eyes. 

I forgot to name my team of the year but it would have the Dunfermline back four and most of  the others except Nesbitt where I'd have Henderson of Falkirk.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Oh I do agree with you, was just thinking about why they might have been voted in. I said in this thread I didn’t consider any of them for my team of the season out of principle for some of the nonsense I’ve seen this season. I suppose looking across all of the predictions on here, Benedictus and Edwards were the obvious two. Right back a bit more variable so I can see why a name like Ballantyne might stand out a bit more and Fordyce is a regular on these teams.