St Johnstone vs Hibernian, Saturday 22 April, 2023

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Unquestionably, it's the right decision and I would go as far as suggesting that the yellow card is harsh.

They'll be Aberdeen fans who will feel more aggrieved by the Shinnie red card decision after seeing Hibs' successful appeal.

Damn right. The extra game tacked on to Shinnie's ban really sticks in the craw now.

29 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Unquestionably, it's the right decision and I would go as far as suggesting that the yellow card is harsh.

They'll be Aberdeen fans who will feel more aggrieved by the Shinnie red card decision after seeing Hibs' successful appeal.

Yep, and - while they explained it at the time, I am still slightly confused about why it constituted a "frivolous" appeal and not just an appeal?

Being honest, the system is so shite, I fully expected the ban to remain and an additional for "frivolous appeal" for Jeggo as well.

Utterly bizarre all over.

On 24/04/2023 at 13:22, StellarHibee said:

Ex-ref but still very much 'present day p***k' Stuart Dougal refers to Jeggo's clean take of the ball as a "lunge" and backs the refs decision. 😂
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/65372545

Well so much for our appeal. Arseholes.

We were told Shinnies was definitely a red because this ex ref thought so 🤣

Glad to see common sense prevail here 👍🏻

40 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Yep, and - while they explained it at the time, I am still slightly confused about why it constituted a "frivolous" appeal and not just an appeal?

Apparently they prefer appeals on a designated form submitted by email and we sent ours by gorilla gram.

On 23/04/2023 at 04:24, PauloPerth said:

If we have to have VAR, and we shouldn’t as it’s shite, then let’s at least reduce its impact.

The only red card incidents it should be used for are if the ref misses an off the ball incident.

But analysing to death every strong challenge for minutes at a time is ridiculous.

Stick with the on field decision and accept there will be errors. We get errors with var as well, it’s all just someone’s opinion.

If you open the door to “the ref missed it” then the moonhowlers will not stop there.

From the very start, pundits, managers, referees and fans should have been told to grow up and accept that mistakes happen sometimes and it fundamentally does not matter.

Instead we have mistakes being made twice over and the joy being sapped out of attending a live football match in the flesh.

I can’t stand var at all. And I don’t rate Napier at all, a dreadful ref.

But I don’t see that either did much wrong in this instance. 

I still like strong tackles in a game so don’t think that Jeggo challenge should be a red card, but in the way tackles are judged over the past few years, lunging in with studs up is always going to run the possibility of being sent off. 

From that interview with Stuart Dougal above;

IMG_8085.jpeg.ecddce826e3bcde9333ac3df4d184fa3.jpeg

The ref decided it met the criteria so showed the red. I don’t see how VAR is going to highlight that as a clear and obvious error. It’s the refs opinion that it was excessive force and endangered the safety of the Saints player, so they have to go along with that.

We should still bin VAR though. Look how much time we waste talking over referee decisions every week, whilst barely a mention for Stevie May’s thunderbolt scissors kick, reminiscent of Pelé in Escape to Victory…

Glad it got overturned. Ludicrous decision and always thought it had more chance of success than shinnie’s. 

Saying that, hopefully our experience with ‘frivolous’ appeals, coupled with a relatively similar challenge being successfully appealed, has shone enough of a light on the issue of extra games based on an entirely subjective criteria to get it firmly in the sea where it belongs.