UK emergency alert system test

5 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

We get phone alerts pretty often - National Weather Service in the case of hefty storms and County/State Amber Alerts to report if you see a vehicle registered Illinois 123XYZ or whatever (usually kidnappings). I don't think it's ever even come up in conversation and the Americans get overexcited at *really* daft shit. 

We can switch them off…I suspect, like our Trump Alert System, this cannot be switched off.

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It’s basically fly paper to catch hackers. GCHQ is currently busy intercepting: Russian mafia attempts to insert a request for bank details; Chinese Government trying to piggy back propaganda and Anonymous Rick rolling 60m people.

Who is Anonymous Rick and how could he possibly roll 60m people?

30 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We can switch them off…I suspect, like our Trump Alert System, this cannot be switched off.

It can be switched off.

I'm not really understanding why people are so upset about this tbh - it's 2023 - if there ever is a need to alert people quickly to a dangerous situation then doing so via their phones is a no-brainer.

7 hours ago, G_&_T said:

This will presumably be one of the ways to inform people they're about to be incinerated in a nuclear attack.

'WARNING: The UK is under attack. In approximately three minutes cities and large towns across the UK will be hit with nuclear missiles. Please take shelter immediately.'

The joke back in the 1980s was "US Government advice in case of nuclear attack. 1) Clasp hands together 2) Bend over 3) Put head between legs 4) and kiss your ass goodbye"

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It will terrify the whole country and the Government should instead scrap mixed-sex NHS wards to improve public safety.

No wonder we fail at everything.

The Daily Heil moaning about somebody terrifying the country? Irony fail.

The people who are TERRIFIED by receiving a message that they subsequently don't bother to read and subsequently discover is a test frankly deserve worse than being terrified. 

Imagine a text message being enough to scare the living daylights out you, yet not be scary enough to make you read to the end 🙈

They've had something similar here in The Netherlands for years, at midday on the first Monday of the month they test it you get an alert on your phone and the air raid sirens go off, I've lost count of the amount of distressed tourists that have approached me wondering what was going on sometimes I have a laugh at their expense and say it's the apocalypse, I suppose if you live in a Country that is mostly below sea level something like this is quite a sensible idea.

3 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

They've had something similar here in The Netherlands for years, at midday on the first Monday of the month they test it you get an alert on your phone and the air raid sirens go off, I've lost count of the amount of distressed tourists that have approached me wondering what was going on sometimes I have a laugh at their expense and say it's the apocalypse, I suppose if you live in a Country that is mostly below sea level something like this is quite a sensible idea.

I stay near Carstairs Hospital and they test their siren each month...it's always a laugh seeing folk that are new to the area panicking. I've seen delivery drivers drop packages and sprint back to their vans

Edited by Cptn Hooch

Just now, Cptn Hooch said:

I stay near Carstairs Hospital and they test their siren each month...it's always a laugh seeing folk that are new to the area panicking

First time I heard it I just thought it was some Dutch techno tune, I was waiting for the beat to drop.

2 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

First time I heard it I just thought it was some Dutch techno tune, I was waiting for the beat to drop.

I suppose in parts of the Netherlands there's certain substances readily available that might "heighten" the experience

35 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I stay near Carstairs Hospital and they test their siren each month...it's always a laugh seeing folk that are new to the area panicking. I've seen delivery drivers drop packages and sprint back to their vans

Irvine has the testing of the siren for old Noble Explosives ICI site at Ardeer, if it was for real would be an explosion blowing large parts of Nth Ayrshire off the map, (please feel free to make obvious jokes about improving Scotland/humanity here).