SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

On 24/04/2023 at 17:08, mo83 said:

Oh yeah Harvey Swann and Blair Henderson were decent player's from what I remember.A think Brechin might have a good chance of making through then,pretty experienced team they have at the Glebe.

Spartans are in a good position to get through after keeping a clean sheet in their 1-0 win at home.  All they need is an away goal and Brechin would have to score 3 to get through.  The second leg is going to be  one nervy battle.

2 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Spartans are in a good position to get through after keeping a clean sheet in their 1-0 win at home.  All they need is an away goal and Brechin would have to score 3 to get through.  The second leg is going to be  one nervy battle.

I didn't think away goals counted in these play-offs.

I haven't seen Brechin or Spartans this season but it's looking like Albion Rovers will be team 42. I think they're quite a lot better than the average team 42 and are miles better than dross like Cowden and Berwick in recent years. If they had a decent centre forward, they could well have been in the top 4.

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

What a weird little cretin this "FFC_GJS" character is.

If a Buckie defeat can trigger a heads gone, goodness knows how he/she'll be processing Falkirk's free-to-air public humiliation at the hands of a mid-table second tier side.  Makes the rescuable 1-0 seem not so bad.

Eta: at least a couple of handy wee league away days to Stirling awaits...

Edited by Hedgecutter

Took in the game as a neutral today. Lowland League champions v Highland League champions vying for a place in League 2, really good crowd with lots of visiting fans crammed into Ainslie Park. This is what Scottish football is all about, or should be about. Ditch the Conference nonsense and the B teams, open up promotion and relegation places between tiers 5 and 4 (and tiers 6 and 5 for that matter) to allow ambitious clubs to progress and whittle away the dead wood and we might be onto something.

I was quite impressed with Spartans (which is something I couldn’t say about their former tenants FC Edinburgh the times I’ve seen them this term). Despite being reduced to 10 men for most of the match, they more than matched Brechin throughout and I thought they thoroughly deserved the win. 

Spartans have some good footballers and played some nice stuff. Brechin were well organised but lacked cutting edge going forward, though it might have just been an off day for them. It’ll be tough, but don’t see why Spartans can’t complete the job next week, and if they progress I’d give them a decent chance against team 42. 

Edited by Frankie S

17 hours ago, roy of the rovers said:

Although it's not a done deal I now think Rovers will end up in the play-off. I'm 100% sure we can vanquish Spartans or Brechin but that wholly depends on which Rovers team turns up as we can equally contrive a loss.

Indeed. The two best performances I saw this season came from Rovers.  Don’t understand why you finished bottom (assuming…) But I think you have the quality to beat either of the Tier 5 sides, at least on yesterday’s showing. Good luck anyway. 

21 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I didn't think away goals counted in these play-offs.

I haven't seen Brechin or Spartans this season but it's looking like Albion Rovers will be team 42. I think they're quite a lot better than the average team 42 and are miles better than dross like Cowden and Berwick in recent years. If they had a decent centre forward, they could well have been in the top 4.

I checked and you're right. Away goals don't count in these play offs.  Sorry about that.

8 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

As others have stated, it looks like Albion Rovers will finish 42nd. I cannot get to a game on the 13th. Does anyone know is the bottom side plays the first leg away? I would love to be able to see the home leg.

Club 42 side is always at home for the second leg

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Having watched Albion Rovers over the course of the season, I would strongly fancy them to see off Spartans or Brechin City. 

Well .. you say that Joe but they couldn't see off Stirling Uni in the Scottish Cup (tbf Rovers were unlucky that day. I was there)

Allowing for Covid 2020 season, there been 8 playoffs since 2015.

Club 42 teams relegated 4 times.

So it looks like a 50/50 chance of Club 42 staying up.

Should it be Albion Rovers this season and they win the playoffs, who knows, as long as they keep away from being Club 42 they could go years without the annual prediction coming for them.

I'll predict eventually Club 42 will drop down without a playoff especially once the Conference kicks in.

...if the Conference kicks in. Still to be voted on and I find it hard to believe that plan has universal approval. Worth noting also that the successes for Club 42 are skewed towards the first few seasons involved. More recently they have tended to lose. 

I'm staying neutral on this one.  I would wish Rovers and the Rose well in staying up. At the same time if Brechin showed coming back from relegation can be done, that wouldn't be bad news for league 2 clubs.    Spartans have won the Lowland league so many times before the pyramid started and the sugar daddy clubs appeared,  I wouldn't grudge them coming up now.  May the best football prevail.

1 hour ago, WC Boggs said:

I'm staying neutral on this one.  I would wish Rovers and the Rose well in staying up. At the same time if Brechin showed coming back from relegation can be done, that wouldn't be bad news for league 2 clubs.    Spartans have won the Lowland league so many times before the pyramid started and the sugar daddy clubs appeared,  I wouldn't grudge them coming up now.  May the best football prevail.

No perfect outcome obviously. Would rather keep Rovers and Brechin but not bothered about Spartans or Elgin, although Elgin are now safe. Always found Ainslie Park a very sterile environment.
Happy to see Bonnyrigg survive. Not everybody’s cup of tea but it’s been great for me to have League fitba on my doorstep, and for Midlothian to have a team in the league. In a sliding doors type scenario, Nitten Star could have been there if the pyramid had started years earlier, and they have a better stadium and one classic pub. Still plenty bitterness there…
Some Rose fans seem to think that Robbie Horn has taken them as far as he can and it’s time to move on?

If we are talking stadiums then glebe park absolutely spanks ainslie park 10 times out of 10,  they are nowhere close to each other. 

Never been to new dundas so will avoid comment but of cliftonhill, ainslie and glebe its

Glebe

massive gap

cliftonhill by an edge

ainslie 

12 hours ago, The Mantis said:

No perfect outcome obviously. Would rather keep Rovers and Brechin but not bothered about Spartans or Elgin, although Elgin are now safe. Always found Ainslie Park a very sterile environment.
Happy to see Bonnyrigg survive. Not everybody’s cup of tea but it’s been great for me to have League fitba on my doorstep, and for Midlothian to have a team in the league. In a sliding doors type scenario, Nitten Star could have been there if the pyramid had started years earlier, and they have a better stadium and one classic pub. Still plenty bitterness there…
Some Rose fans seem to think that Robbie Horn has taken them as far as he can and it’s time to move on?

The Rose fans would know better than me on Horn.  I  suppose the question that pops up in my thinking is, did he take them as far as anybody could on the budget he had?  Not knowing what he had I couldn't answer it.