Airdrie v Queens

1 hour ago, Homer Thompson said:

Is that the first time Todd, Wilson and Cochrane have started together? They totally dominated the midfield in the first half.

They were excellent. Admittedly Airdrie were weaker in midfield today (both physically and in terms of quality) but those three bossed whoever we tried in there. I’ve been really impressed by Todd this season, he’s exactly the kind of player we need in there and while Wilson is made of poppadoms (any contact today seemed to leave him needing treatment) he’s a very good player at this level. 

I can’t say I’m too fussed about the game itself. Airdrie were poor throughout but we already knew that we had a good starting eleven and not much quality beyond that. Salim did alright and took his goal well. Byrd had a shaky start but was probably one of our better players. Euan Deveney put in the worst individual Airdrie performance I’ve seen since Jay Riley, he’s hit and miss at the best of times but he seems to be someone who needs a run of games to be at his best. 

The Paton celebration was a weird one. I was at the other end so couldn’t read it but apparently it said justice for Rico. Fair enough, not worth getting into it as the court decision said it all, but a bit like the Kyle Doherty one at Clyde a few weeks ago, I don’t think many people even knew who he was before he celebrated like that. As I said the last time we played Queens, he’s a very good player but an odd character.

26 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Does it physically pain you to give MB an unconditional compliment? :lol:

I think most regulars know that Wilson, Todd and Cochrane are by far our best midfielders- so why can our Manager not see that. It’s really not a difficult call. I am not asking for much but I expect our Manager whoever it is to pick our best players when they are fit. The selection for the vital match at EEP was very poor as several others said at the time. I hope you are right and he proves to be a great Manager for us but it pisses me off when he suddenly picks a midfield that has been staring him in the face and we turn in a very good performance.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Paton - getting under people's skin again. Love to see it. Going to miss it next season :(

Really? I’d find it pretty embarrassing if Gal behaved like that. No class at all.

Good luck to you in finding another wee twat for next year.

12 minutes ago, Mr November said:

The Paton celebration was a weird one. I was at the other end so couldn’t read it but apparently it said justice for Rico. Fair enough, not worth getting into it as the court decision said it all, but a bit like the Kyle Doherty one at Clyde a few weeks ago, I don’t think many people even knew who he was before he celebrated like that. As I said the last time we played Queens, he’s a very good player but an odd character.

He's done it at several clubs this season and got the same reaction on here. I've absolutely no issue with players dishing it out to the fans. Even if it isn't directed at a particular player, if his teammates have had some stick I'm all for a player giving it back a bit. You can't beat that seethe. It's also quite funny seeing folk getting really wound up by it on here. 

Exhibit A:- 

3 minutes ago, Mingus2000 said:

Really? I’d find it pretty embarrassing if Gal behaved like that. No class at all.

Good luck to you in finding another wee twat for next year.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He's done it at several clubs this season and got the same reaction on here. I've absolutely no issue with players dishing it out to the fans. Even if it isn't directed at a particular player, if his teammates have had some stick I'm all for a player giving it back a bit. You can't beat that seethe. It's also quite funny seeing folk getting really wound up by it on here. 

Exhibit A:- 

I generally agree with you to be fair. Players take a lot of abuse and I have no issue with them giving some back. I get why Paton has done it today but when it’s someone most fans couldn’t pick out a line up then it just feels like strange behaviour. It’s absolutely not worth getting upset about in the way some people do though.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

What was the celebration by Paton all about? I missed our previous two games against QOS so I have no idea what he was giving it big licks about. Reminded me of Kyle Doherty and Kai Kennedy, a bit weird behavior. I still don't understand why grown men actually get raging about it though.

Game was a dead rubber anyways and it was better to rest a good few players today so finishing 3rd/4th doesn't really matter to me.

He’s best mates with Rico

Good win, ultimately well deserved, and ultimately almost completely irrelevant sadly. We shot ourselves in the foot last week but at least they showed professional pride intact.

McKenna in from the cold and an unfamiliar left wing back role for Gibson but we did play well, with the three in midfield controlling the game. That said I thought 1st goal could have come at either end. When it arrived it was well constructed and a superb delivery from Gibson. 2nd goal very soon after all but killed the contest. The sort of shocking defending at a set piece we've seen all season. Thankfully for once it wasnt us! 

Thought we could have added more before the break to be honest but 1st half hour of 2nd half Airdrie were the better side without massively threatening to score until they actually did. East fell over and allowed a free cross and Salim was completely unmarked.

Some concern at that point we might fold as by then we had lost McKay and Wilson to injury but we did liven up a bit and earn the free kick that clinched it. I thought it was too close to get up and down but an outstanding strike from Ruari to 'complete the set'. I thought he had a decent 1st half but didnt do anything 2nd half till the dead ball strike. Less said about the needless undershirt message the better though. 

Nice to finally see Gordon Botterill play after all the effort to get him registered! (I missed Clyde). Thought Harry Cochrane was best player on the pitch on the day and whilst generally quiet, Gibson's delivery still leads to goals. The much maligned McKenna had a steady enough game at centre half too. 

Good luck to Airdrie in the playoffs. 

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Good win, ultimately well deserved, and ultimately almost completely irrelevant sadly. We shot ourselves in the foot last week but at least they showed professional pride intact.

McKenna in from the cold and an unfamiliar left wing back role for Gibson but we did play well, with the three in midfield controlling the game. That said I thought 1st goal could have come at either end. When it arrived it was well constructed and a superb delivery from Gibson. 2nd goal very soon after all but killed the contest. The sort of shocking defending at a set piece we've seen all season. Thankfully for once it wasnt us! 

Thought we could have added more before the break to be honest but 1st half hour of 2nd half Airdrie were the better side without massively threatening to score until they actually did. East fell over and allowed a free cross and Salim was completely unmarked.

Some concern at that point we might fold as by then we had lost McKay and Wilson to injury but we did liven up a bit and earn the free kick that clinched it. I thought it was too close to get up and down but an outstanding strike from Ruari to 'complete the set'. I thought he had a decent 1st half but didnt do anything 2nd half till the dead ball strike. Less said about the needless undershirt message the better though. 

Nice to finally see Gordon Botterill play after all the effort to get him registered! (I missed Clyde). Thought Harry Cochrane was best player on the pitch on the day and whilst generally quiet, Gibson's delivery still leads to goals. The much maligned McKenna had a steady enough game at centre half too. 

Liked the look of it lad McKechnie seen him twice now and played well against ourselves, both times I know McCabe is an admirer...I

Is he a decent prospect at this level

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Genuinely believe mckenna would’ve been fine if we’d used him at centre half from the off, but the continuous use at right back left his confidence shot. 

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Liked the look of it lad McKechnie seen him twice now and played well against ourselves, both times I know McCabe is an admirer...I

Is he a decent prospect at this level

Hands off. 😝

McCabe will have 'played' with him at Queens. I say 'played' as he had a really serious injury in his 1st season and managed only 1 minute of football while McCabe was here. It was more than a year and a half before he actually made a start for us last year. Wullie Gibson said he would be a big player for us when he took over but after some initial success he didnt really plsy him much, possibly due to the early emergence of Lewis Gibson and both really playing the same position. Bartley though has pushed McKechnie further forward and shown more faith.

His major asset is pace, he is lightning quick. Not enough end product though really and he needs to find that. He and Gibson have almost the same appearance stats but Gibson has 4 goals and 7 assists. McKechnie has 2 goals and less than 3 assists. He certainly has something to offer this level though.

12 hours ago, Mr November said:

I found it quite funny because it's obvious he's been wearing that in every game we've played since August but hasn't been able to show it until now - when the case is finished and Quitongo has moved on.

Some pretty desperate levels of 'scrambling for relevance', to use an old P&B phrase.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Paton's had a good season and he'll no doubt be a loss when he moves on.  

I maintain that he's a bit of a childish wee tosser though.

Think he will be the only one that these kind of actions will hurt ,

23 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

I don't see it doing him much harm to be honest.  I just think his antics are a bit daft and unnecessary.

Every other week, he seems to indulge in some pantomime nonsense towards rival fans who wonder what his problem is.

He'll hopefully outgrow it.

29 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't see it doing him much harm to be honest.  I just think his antics are a bit daft and unnecessary.

Every other week, he seems to indulge in some pantomime nonsense towards rival fans who wonder what his problem is.

He'll hopefully outgrow it.

If it was affecting his game I'd take issue with it but unlike losing his mind John Baird style, his performances have been absolutely fine. He seems like a wild character off the park so his antics don't surprise or bother me. Nothing wrong with some characters down here. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it was affecting his game I'd take issue with it but unlike losing his mind John Baird style, his performances have been absolutely fine. He seems like a wild character off the park so his antics don't surprise or bother me. Nothing wrong with some characters down here. 

I wouldn't have thought that whether it affects his performance should be the only possible criterion by which we judge a player's behaviour.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm having a go at someone for displaying an anti-racist message, or am minimising that as an issue, so I'll leave it there.