Airdrie v Falkirk, 1st leg

Too close to call this one, both sides well capable of winning through over the two legs. I fancy our chances to get a win at Airdrie but I think Airdrie could do the same to us at TFS. God knows how this will go.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

This is probably the hardest game out the two semi finals tbh.  Whoever wins this I think will get promotion. No disrespect to Alloa or Hamilton.  On their game Alloa at least have been scoring goals where as Hamilton it seems can't score in the proverbial barrel. Will there be a huge gulf in class between those two I'm not so sure. 

I’m already terrified for this. I think a play-off between these teams has always been destined to happen after all the battles since Falkirk were relegated. Falkirk go into it as favourites and rightly so but it’s a very hard one to call, with both teams more than capable of battering the other. 

McCabe has a few interesting selection choices to make. I’d say Rae, Watson, Fordyce, Ballantyne, Frizzell, McGill, Gallagher and Smith all seem certainties to start. The big questions are who partners Fordyce at the back (McCabe or ATS?) and does he go with experience or energy in midfield (McCabe or McMaster, Telfer or Devenny). If ATS is fit I’d go with the latter for each option, knowing we can bring on some composure and having McCabe to see things from the dugout.

Right back worries me. Rowe injured and Williamson is shite. We maybe forced to play Finn Yeats. Smith could have a field day 

Probably the most nervous I've ever felt going into a play off before. Been through every possible scenario of what could happen but this is genuinely too close to call. Imagine both sets of supporters will go through every set of emotions at both of the games.

Rae

Watson.      Fordyce.  ATS.   Ballantyne 

Frizzell.    McMaster.  Devenny 

Smith.          Gallagher.         McGill

IMO our best starting 11 and allows us to bring on McCabe and Telfer for a bit of composure in midfield if we need it, makes our bench stronger too. Let's get right behind the team and give them a massive backing. MTD ♦️

5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Right back worries me. Rowe injured and Williamson is shite. We maybe forced to play Finn Yeats. Smith could have a field day 

If Rowe doesn’t make it, I would be tempted to try and see if any of our centre backs could fill in at RB instead of Williamson. We could move Henderson back in defence as cover.

Anyone know why the Championship playoffs don’t follow the same format as the Premiership playoffs? Makes more sense to have 4th play 3rd, winner plays 2nd, winner plays the Championship team. 

Is it purely because Championship, L1 & L2 are all now finished but the Premiership still have the rest of the split to go? 

Should be decent. Accies don’t seem to offer much but it would be very on brand for them to survive just as they did in the Prem for years. We’ve taken 12/12 from Alloa, I actually think there’s better L1 teams than them not making the playoffs.

Airdrie/Falkirk will be a big couple of games, likely the team that comes through will go up. Airdrie the best team I’ve seen us play this season and Falkirk have previous for filling their kegs in pressure situations. Both very capable of beating each other, wouldn’t be surprised to see it go to penalties.

24 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He'll have even more of a field day against Williamson.

14 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Anyone know why the Championship playoffs don’t follow the same format as the Premiership playoffs? Makes more sense to have 4th play 3rd, winner plays 2nd, winner plays the Championship team. 

Is it purely because Championship, L1 & L2 are all now finished but the Premiership still have the rest of the split to go? 

To favour the team from the top flight, make sure the team playing them have to go through additional matches and potentially pick up injuries etc. SPFL is a cartel designed to favour the top flight and certain teams in particular, as evidenced by the proposal for another league between L2 and the Lowland/Highland league and forcing their kiddie teams in.

9 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Because the Premiership clubs are a shower of cnuts and want to make it as difficult as possible for another team to get into the Self Preservation League.

Airdrie fan in agreeing with Falkirk fan after 5pm on a Saturday night shock. Close this thread now and let us get back to hostilities.

23 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Because the Premiership clubs are a shower of cnuts and want to make it as difficult as possible for another team to get into the Self Preservation League.

Still hurting?