The fight for the Championship…relegation playoffs thread

16 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I still think its shit the team that finishes in 9th place in the championship has to go through extra games, compared to Dundee Utd or Killie only having to play 2 games. Get this SPL bias to fck

You mean that the top league being effectively a cartel is unfair ... aye? 🤔

And the first round is done:

Falkirk 0-1 Airdrie (Airdrie advance 7-2 aggregate)

Accies 5-2 Alloa (Accies advance 5-3 aggregate)

Next matches:

Wednesday, 17 May, 19:35:Airdrie v Accies

Saturday, 20 May, 17:15:, Accies v Airdrie

Edited by TxRover

13 minutes ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Accies have been dreadful for months,but once those goals went in,you could see the confidence coming back in the team.

Guys who couldn't score in Hamilton Palace at quarter to three suddenly were shooting and scoring from all angles-albeit against 10 men.

Was thinking the same thing, especially Lewis Smith and Winter. Those two had a decent time of it in the League Cup groups which made me hope that they could carry it over into the league, but Smith in particular just doesn't seem to have it in him to play for a side low on confidence. 

2 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Accies have been dreadful for months,but once those goals went in,you could see the confidence coming back in the team.

Guys who couldn't score in Hamilton Palace at quarter to three suddenly were shooting and scoring from all angles-albeit against 10 men.

The manner of that comeback is bound to give Accies a big lift and there was some very good movement in attack. It might be the confidence boost you need to get through the final. At the same time, we went in with a depleted team and went on to lose the 3 fit defenders we had started with. We had centre forwards and attacking midfielders in defence. Airdrie are better than our best team and today certainly wasn't our best team. If they play as they can - which isn't a given as they can be very up and down - I think they'll win. 

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

The manner of that comeback is bound to give Accies a big lift and there was some very good movement in attack. It might be the confidence boost you need to get through the final. At the same time, we went in with a depleted team and went on to lose the 3 fit defenders we had started with. We had centre forwards and attacking midfielders in defence. Airdrie are better than our best team and today certainly wasn't our best team. If they play as they can - which isn't a given as they can be very up and down - I think they'll win. 

Saying that if we play as we did in January for that spell of games,I would be very confident against any League One team as were playing well then but changing the formation ruined us for months.One of our subs was a left back coming on as a striker as we only have two fit strikers.

If we shut the door at the back,I am confident but refusing to play our first choice Keeper Fulton because he is joining Portsmouth  for over £100k is crazy  as it would cost more if we go down.

Same scenario as letting Andy Ryan join Larne in January as his goals would have kept us up.

12 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I know Motherwell are both sides' biggest rival, but is Accies Vs Airdrie much of a rivalry?

No to be honest. I also suspect that lots of Well fans wouldn't class the Accies as much of a rivalry either. Despite the distance league wise between the clubs Motherwell - Airdrie has always and will always be the big Lanarkshire derby.

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

No to be honest. I also suspect that lots of Well fans wouldn't class the Accies as much of a rivalry either. Despite the distance league wise between the clubs Motherwell - Airdrie has always and will always be the big Lanarkshire derby.

To be fair,that was always because the Accies stank out the bottom divisions post war up to the last 15+ years while both Airdrie and Motherwell were getting to Europe and mostly in the top flight.

Hamilton are long overdue being flushed down the drain. If they go down, they wouldn't return for a long, long time. 

Airdrie are a pantomime villain outfit who would also ship about 70 goals en route to relegation next season (unless they had excellent summer recruitment). 

I'll take the latter of the two, although Falkirk's utter shoeing means that the play-off has already fulfilled its chief purpose for the season.