The fight for the Championship…relegation playoffs thread

3 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

You commenting on the level of excitement someone's contribution brings to the site is akin to Stalin calling someone "a bit murder-y".

Scintillating content here.

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

First game over:

Airdrie 1-0 Accies…

Airdrie hold serve, on to NDP on Saturday, with the Diamonds missing Watson from a double yellow.

Larry David Reaction GIF

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Thought Accies were unlucky to lose it and Airdrie didn’t look up to much. 

My thoughts too. Airdrie fans saying its the worst they've played in ages but that completely ignores us, despite being poor in the Championship, being the best team they have played in ages.

We just need to win at home on Saturday to give us at least extra time and I don't think that's anything like an impossible task.

12 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

My thoughts too. Airdrie fans saying its the worst they've played in ages but that completely ignores us, despite being poor in the Championship, being the best team they have played in ages.

We just need to win at home on Saturday to give us at least extra time and I don't think that's anything like an impossible task.

Not ignoring Hamilton at all. Us saying its the worst we played is simply that. It was. We can play better. I'd absolutely give credit to your defence for pressing our strikers quickly, but some of the mistakes and slackness in attack and midfield was nowt to do with you, more to do with player nerves I think. Lots of unforced errors, sloppy passes, hesitancy in the ball on our part. Something I am confident McCabe will address. Yes, you're a championship team, but I genuinely think we gave you too much respect in the first half, sat back when we should have pressed, and did not play our game.

From Tuesdays showing alone, you're not the best team we have played in ages. Far from it. There's lots of very good teams in League One, something I hope you find out next season. 

2 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Not ignoring Hamilton at all. Us saying its the worst we played is simply that. It was. We can play better. I'd absolutely give credit to your defence for pressing our strikers quickly, but some of the mistakes and slackness in attack and midfield was nowt to do with you, more to do with player nerves I think. Lots of unforced errors, sloppy passes, hesitancy in the ball on our part. Something I am confident McCabe will address. Yes, you're a championship team, but I genuinely think we gave you too much respect in the first half, sat back when we should have pressed, and did not play our game.

From Tuesdays showing alone, you're not the best team we have played in ages. Far from it. There's lots of very good teams in League One, something I hope you find out next season. 

Fair enough. Hopefully we can prove you wrong on Saturday 🙂

I thought Hamilton did a pretty decent job on us first half, seemed to be right on our touch and closed down a lot of space in the midfield. 

No surprise that we looked a fair bit better in the second when that died off a bit and more space opened up. Shame we couldn't engineer a second. Smith's goal was a moment of quality in an otherwise fairly typical playoff final; tight, nervy, cagey stuff. Tends to be more open in the second leg. 

We'll miss Watson but having scored by my count 98 goals across league, cups and playoffs thus far, I do fancy us to score again tomorrow. Hamilton will need to be a lot more dangerous going forward you'd imagine, especially if we do score. 

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fair enough. Hopefully we can prove you wrong on Saturday 🙂

And I hope you don't. 😂

Not specific to Hamilton but in general, I think the play offs giving 2nd bottom another bite at staying us is rotten. Only in Scotland do we try and give a team. Who have been poor all season another bite at the cherry. 

27 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And I hope you don't. 😂

Not specific to Hamilton but in general, I think the play offs giving 2nd bottom another bite at staying us is rotten. Only in Scotland do we try and give a team. Who have been poor all season another bite at the cherry. 

Germany and Netherlands definitely also have playoffs where the team from the higher division is involved and I'm sure half the Balkan countries do as well but can't be arsed googling. 

27 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And I hope you don't. 😂

TBF, that's what they did in England when it first started there. Didn't take them wrong to realise it was a shite idea, however.

Not sure that 5th place in our small leagues exactly prepares a club for promotion though, but I doubt they'd win the play-offs very often anyway.

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And I hope you don't. 😂

I think it’s used to justify only one auto up/down with the Premiership. That plus it adds lower games while the Premiership is still going.

2-1 Accies after Extra Time…2-2 Aggregate…Penalty Kicks decide it…still perfect at 5-5…ends when Accies sixth is saved!

…and the ninth Championship team for 2023-2024 is Airdrie.