Aberdeen vs Hibernian

On the topic or red cards, is someone more clued up than me able to explain why the boy who handballed it for the penalty wasn’t sent off?

Surely if it’s a handball stopping the ball going into the net it’s a red card?

Or is the fact it was deemed unintentional the reason why it wasn’t a red?

1 minute ago, Les Cabbage said:

On the topic or red cards, is someone more clued up than me able to explain why the boy who handballed it for the penalty wasn’t sent off?

Surely if it’s a handball stopping the ball going into the net it’s a red card?

Or is the fact it was deemed unintentional the reason why it wasn’t a red?

Precisely, and it couldn't be verified that the ball was definitely going in.

Edited by kingjoey

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Lads, this is dangerously close to conspiracy theory chat. Get it in the bin. 

For it not to be a conspiracy, it would need to be backed up with 'data'.

The 'data' is showing that season after season, Aberdeen are on the wrong end of a disproportionate amount of game-changing decisions compared to others - and that the measures available to the powers-that-be are also more punitively applied to us - see the ludicrous reason that Shinnie misses next week's match at Tynecastle.

There is no conspiracy - it's either conscious or unconscious bias from referees and authorities, who are all based within 30 miles of the M8 corridor.

42 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agreed.

In fact, I could refer you to the penalty against Hibs at Pittodrie earlier in the season (the Duk dive and retake).

"Some Hibs Fans".........ahem, perhaps over refreshed...........said much the same.

Lets just agreed the refs and VAR are shite, and we are almost all on the end of some pish ones - You are getting third anyway, so just move on lads.

38 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

For it not to be a conspiracy, it would need to be backed up with 'data'.

The 'data' is showing that season after season, Aberdeen are on the wrong end of a disproportionate amount of game-changing decisions compared to others - and that the measures available to the powers-that-be are also more punitively applied to us - see the ludicrous reason that Shinnie misses next week's match at Tynecastle.

There is no conspiracy - it's either conscious or unconscious bias from referees and authorities, who are all based within 30 miles of the M8 corridor.

What is the ‘data’ that proves we are disproportionately impacted by bad decisions? (I won’t be accepting an anecdotal list of bad decisions as evidence) And what’s the data that shows teams in the central belt don’t suffer similar issues?

I definitely see merit in a subconscious leaning towards the old firm to give themselves an easy life but I’ve never really bought the north east thing. SFA employees don’t care enough about Aberdeen, hibs or hearts to engage in it. Hearts have had some very controversial red cards in their last two games and can feel similarly hard done by. Hibs had porteous given an extra game ban for the same reason as shinnie. 

VAR being shite is the least predictable thing to happen in Scottish football since Celtic winning a league title. 

59 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Privately the club (along with Hibs and others) should be seeking clarity regarding the rules as its clear there is confusion as to what constitutes as a red card/endangering the player etc. Shinnie while commenting yesterday said himself that the players don't know the rules anymore. Also there's clearly a disturbing lack of consistency amongst those officiating in this country. Former Scottish ref Madden was bemoaning both the Hearts penalty decision and felt Campbells high boot was deserving of a red card. Decisions shouldn't be subjective.

Recently Aberdeen have be on the receiving end of more shocking decisions than others and I'm not saying that there's an agenda against us but its becoming increasingly more frustrating given the importance of recent matches.

However I refuse to believe that the linesman (studied business at Edinburgh Uni with me) and John Beaton (both known The Rangers supporters) were truly impartial during our recent trip to Ibrox. I'm sorry but that Goldson/Duk incident couldn't have been more blatant.

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

We've suffered some truly awful decisions this season (and most other seasons) and would argue we are currently receiving it worse than everyone else in the league. Most recently: 

Shinnies Red card vs Ross County (multiple identical incidents have been overturned this season/apparently ours is a frivolous appeal)

Ross McCrorie's red Card vs St Mirren

Cantwell's push on Scales

Connor Goldson rugby tackle on Duk

I still question whether Newell should have been sent off for his stamp on Coulson ankle. I personally thought Campbell should have been sent off for the high boot on Scales. I'm not saying it was deliberate however it was dangerous and made contact to Scales' face. Killie had Kyle Vassel sent off for a high boot to the face (identical to Campbell's) against Hibs in February.

Anyone who says that isn’t worthy of a red is either on a blatant (poor attempt at) wind up or is a fuckin moron. 
There is no other debate about this decision. 

We were bad and Hibs were definitely the better side.  However, claims they could/should have won by three or four might be going a bit far!  

Some of the players that ended up on the pitch for us at the end - wooft.  If you need to make subs, please use the competent players on the bench first (Watkins, Barron).  

1 minute ago, resk said:

We were bad and Hibs were definitely the better side.  However, claims they could/should have won by three or four might be going a bit far!  

Not so sure about that.................Brighton & Hove won 3-0 at Arsenal yesterday by being less dominant.

There's always the argument that if Hibs had scored one of their earlier chances, then we would have been forced to get our finger out in an attacking sense and it's a different game - but whether there was the capability to do that on Saturday is debatable. So many players way off it and at the end we just seem to be throwing bodies on with little apparent purpose. 

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Precisely, and it couldn't be verified that the ball was definitely going in.

Advice for refs: 

If it's a McKirdy shot from half a yard out and it's handled on the line then it's not a red as it can't be verified that the ball would definitely be going in! :rolleyes:

Apparently the emotions of the day led to 3 or 4 Aberdeen players having tight hamstrings on Saturday.................

I have seen lots of football managers who cant bring themselves to say "the other team were just better than us on the day", but this has to be up there for slavering pish. 🤭

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/barry-robson-insists-aberdeen-emotions-26912257

13 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Apparently the emotions of the day led to 3 or 4 Aberdeen players having tight hamstrings on Saturday.................

I see where he's coming from - I found last week's events extremely emotional, and as a consequence twanged my own hammy walking down Merkland Road.

As for the match itself - blood pressure was a bigger problem.  Hibs were very good on Saturday, but I like that Barry is the defend/praise his own team camp, as the previous manager went the other way too often, perhaps to their detriment and ultimately his own.

14 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I have seen lots of football managers who cant bring themselves to say "the other team were just better than us on the day", but this has to be up there for slavering pish. 🤭

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/barry-robson-insists-aberdeen-emotions-26912257

Total nothing comment tbh. Don’t be the guy who needs opposition managers to say how brilliant your team were. 

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Total nothing comment tbh. Don’t be the guy who needs opposition managers to say how brilliant your team were. 

Exactly. Nothing to get excited about. Managers can say what they like. LJ is not shy when it comes to the waffle.

Good luck on Saturday, you guys deserve 3rd as you've been very consistent since Goodwin left. If you pick up something there are you're basically home and dry.

On 14/05/2023 at 16:42, tarapoa said:

It just goes to show, that whether there's technology or not, the central-belt based powers in this country will gladly continue to ensure Aberdeen are on the wrong end of the lion's share of decisions.

I didn't think this was something anyone actually believed in the real world. Do you think all the central belt teams (a phrase only used by Aberdeen fans) who, let's not forget all hate each other, get together to keep Aberdeen down. For the benefit of who?

I mean, in a part of the world where some people hate catholics, some people hate protestants, some people hate jews, some people hate immigrants, some people hate the village up the road, some people hate highly specified select clubs for reasons known only to themselves, some people hate the English, some people hate their in-laws, one thing I have never heard anyone say or hint at it is "I FUCKING HATE PEOPLE NOT FROM THE CENTRAL BELT!!!!".

So where does this madness come from? It's hilarious when you think about it. Absolutely nobody gives a f**k.

1) Aberdeen aren't anything like a big enough deal to have a conspiracy against them.

2) Supporters of pretty much any team in the country can and do have a list of shocking decisions that have gone against them in any season. I've got a mate who watches Curzon Ashton and most weeks when I see him in the pub he's banging on about the latest travesty of justice to befall them. Twitter is full of people who support Wolves, Celtic, Tranmere, Liverpool, Hamilton Accies, Yeovil Town or whoever claiming that THEY definitely get worse decisions against them than anyone else. They all sound ridiculous saying it, and so do you.

Get over yourself, basically.

Edited by VincentGuerin

9 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I didn't think this was something anyone actually believed in the real world. Do you think all the central belt teams (a phrase only used by Aberdeen fans) who, let's not forget all hate each other, get together to keep Aberdeen down. For the benefit of who?

I mean, in a part of the world where some people hate catholics, some people hate protestants, some people hate jews, some people hate immigrants, some people hate the village up the road, some people hate highly specified select clubs for reasons known only to themselves, some people hate the English, some people hate their in-laws, one thing I have never heard anyone say or hint at it is "I FUCKING HATE PEOPLE NOT FROM THE CENTRAL BELT!!!!".

So where does this madness come from? It's hilarious when you think about it. Absolutely nobody gives a f**k.

1) Aberdeen aren't anything like a big enough deal to have a conspiracy against them.

2) Supporters of pretty much any team in the country can and do have a list of shocking decisions that have gone against them in any season. I've got a mate who watches Curzon Ashton and most weeks when I see him in the pub he's banging on about the latest travesty of justice to befall them. Twitter is full of people who support Wolves, Celtic, Tranmere, Liverpool, Hamilton Accies, Yeovil Town or whoever claiming that THEY definitely get worse decisions against them than anyone else. They all sound ridiculous saying it, and so do you.

Get over yourself, basically.

Is this exactly the sort of thing someone from the central belt would say to cover up a conspiracy?

Just asking questions