Airdrie v Hamilton Playoff Final 1st leg

Happy to be back and looking for a better result than last year.  Full of confidence after Falkirk.  Wondering what Hamilton fans are making of their game today and the massive turn of events after looking out of it. Mon the Diamonds! 

Accies were dead men walking, but funnily enough the fans going mental at The Board seemed to galvanise the team as the pressure was all focused on the Owners/Board and not the Manager/Team.

We only have two fit strikers and both hadn't scored for months up to today but after we got the goals you could see confidence coming back into the team.

There is still an undercurrent of anger at The Board and Airdrie winning the tie easily will bring that back to the surface.

Airdrie will start favourites as scoring for fun, but Accies and Play Offs have brought success in the past,so who knows.

If we win, we will probably be in the same position next year as have only three players in contract and five of our fantastic under 18's(about to win the League,unbeaten against both Old Firm teams)are also out of contract which Shows how badly we are being run as in our top League days,there were never more than 4-5 out of contract every season.

24 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

This is going to be a horrible, nervy two legs isn't it?

We're all thinking that and we thought the same going into Tuesday and look how that turned out. Didn't stop us all from still having concerns prior to the second leg yesterday so I see no reason why we won't all be bags of nerves regardless of how things pan out at home.

19 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

This is going to be a horrible, nervy two legs isn't it?

It's gonna be brutal. God knows when the last properly heating Accies-Airdrie game was, but this has the potential to be a battle for the ages. 

Are we likely to be in the main stand or the one across from it?

Just now, accies1874 said:

It's gonna be brutal. God knows when the last properly heating Accies-Airdrie game was, but this has the potential to be a battle for the ages. 

Are we likely to be in the main stand or the one across from it?

I'd imagine the large stand across from our main stand as that's where we've put Falkirk and Dunfermline this season. Will the accies bring a decent support through given proximity?

25 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'd imagine the large stand across from our main stand as that's where we've put Falkirk and Dunfermline this season. Will the accies bring a decent support through given proximity?

We don't have a decent support.  A normal game would see about 300 but as it is a play off final we might get up to about 400.

Seen a bit of Accies on TV this year and I’m shocked they didn’t go right down. If Airdrie can come out the traps how they have done against a lot of league one teams including Dunfermline and obviously Falkirk then I think they’ll be joining us in the Championship next season. 

I was listening to Open All Mics yesterday and at one point messaged to my mates to say we wouldn’t be going to New Douglas Park next season, and within a few minutes Chic Young was nearly ready to explode with excitement and I had to retract my statement. I suppose that shows Accies have some fight but they were very nearly swatted aside by Alloa who despite getting to the playoffs didn’t do an awful lot this season, there are better teams that caused us more problems that didn’t make the playoffs. Airdrie won’t let them back in the same way that Alloa did.

Edited by The Toun Clock

Hopefully it’s Callum Smith’s turn to win this one after Connor won last year. 

I think Accies will be in the stand opposite the main one, which generally makes for a better atmosphere. We did that for Cove and Queen’s Park last season.

I feel oddly ok about this at the moment, though I have no doubt the usual fear will kick in very soon. We’ve seen two sides to this Airdrie team over the semi-finals. A ridiculously clinical first half against Falkirk, strong defensive resolve to hold out a man down at 5-2 and then a very comfortable, compact performance yesterday, with McCabe knowing exactly what McGlynn would do throughout. The big question is whether we can continue that for another two games. Not having played extra time and requiring a momentous performance to win the semi-final second leg like the last two years can only help too. 

Given the performances over the season, particularly the last quarter and the semi-finals, I think we have to be confident going into this, though equally wary that it’s Airdrie in a play-off final and Hamilton might have a bit more about them than some expected after yesterday. I can’t say I’ve seen much of Hamilton this season but sometimes a result like that can be a catalyst for going on a run. I’m expecting a much tougher game than the semi-finals anyway. Hopefully this is the year we can do it.

Hopefully we go into this and avoid any nervousness from the stands as I think that played quite a big factor in last year's final. I'm sure Rhys will have it drummed into the squad but our best chances are to treat this as 'just another game'. Ideally we would see a repeat of the last week but I just can't see another team being so tactically naive against us.

3 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

We don't have a decent support.  A normal game would see about 300 but as it is a play off final we might get up to about 400.

I'm detecting a lot of interest in these ties as folk who have rarely attended I know are going and HAFSWO are running as many buses as can be filled.

We had a decent support at Alloa,so quite a few more after yesterday.

Sorry Accies but I think Airdrie will be far too strong for you. They won't have a makeshift defence like Alloa had and can score goals for fun. Your best hope is to try and keep it tight which won't be easy against Airdrie's front three and in Gallagher they have the best striker in the league. 

Think Airdrie take this one, although not in manner they handled us with.

Admittedly, as much as it hurts to say, they totally embarrassed us over the two legs and looked like a far superior outfit. On the counter they look unstoppable at times and can score at will, just can’t see how Accies stop them after stumbling over the line against Alloa, although rather convincingly at the end.

Hopefully Airdrie go up as I don’t fancy us beating them to a league title next season.

Edited by HopeStreetCadette

17 minutes ago, HopeStreetCadette said:

Think Airdrie take this one, although not in manner they handled us with.

Admittedly, as much as it hurts to say, they totally embarrassed us over the two legs and looked like a far superior outfit. On the counter they look unstoppable at times and can score at will, just can’t see how Accies stop them after stumbling over the line against Alloa, although rather convincingly at the end.

Hopefully Airdrie go up as I don’t fancy us beating them to a league title next season.

I would if it wasn't for the McGlynn factor. Saying that even if Airdrie do go up the stupid old fart will probably still be out thought by Rankin and Bartley 

After the first game at Alloa,  Hamilton were probably similar to QOTS quality in how they played /looked 

The second leg was hard to judge as we were so depleted after 15 mins

If i had to put a lot of money on it it would be Airdrie all the way 

I have nothing against Accies , it was not thier fault we had so many difficulties

but this is the way i see it .

it will be a shock to me if airdrie are not the winners here