Bonnyrigg Rose 2023-24 Best supported team in SPFL2

Well it a typical midwinter dreich day in Boomtown.  Big game at the Boomtown Bernebeu this afternoon with the visit of Spartans  one place above us in the League. We had a great result over in the Kingdom last week(although I was absent).  It will be a tough slog in heavy conditions this afternoon. We threw away a comfortable 2 goal lead at their place earlier in the season, hopefully we can finish 2023 on a high.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

The odd decent result (eg East Fife on 22 Dec) is simply papering over the cracks. Many other recent results and performances are wholly unacceptable. These include Elgin away, Stranraer away, Dumbarton away, Forfar at home and Clyde away today. The current management team has run its race and has taken us as far as their capabilities allow. We need to be looking forward and acting accordingly. Without this fundamental change, we’re going nowhere fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to the ground staff for getting the pitch at Boomtown Bernebeu playable for a big Scottish Cup tie today. Pitch will sure be heavy and bobbly and a likely troublesome wind.  With conditions it may be a game of two halves. Would be great if we can score the first goal today and give us something to hold on to. It’s a free hit for The Rose and there should be a cracking atmosphere. I am getting more exited by the minute and look forward to a good afternoon out.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Why the long face Falkirk?

Didn’t see that coming today, after the recent abysmal league form. But a massive well done to all of the players.

Having missed today, I’ll also be absent for the next round, unless the tie gets switched to Stornoway. 

Should Bonnyrigg draw a home tie, the highly rated and much respected NDP pitch will have to endure three games in a week. Could prove to be a great leveller!

I also see Bonnyrigg have now condemned themselves to a midweek trip to Peterhead, as that league game will now be displaced. That’s my kind of trip! Exactly what was talked about back in the Juniors days - gold plated toilets and midweek trips to Elgin or Peterhead!

IMG_8889.jpeg

Morton supporter calling in. I watched the Sportscene segment about your stellar win against Falkirk. It was great viewing - exactly the kind of thing which warms the hearts of all true supporters of the game. The sheer joy on everyone's faces was magical and incredibly uplifting. Well done on an absolutely brilliant win. We look forward to welcoming you to Cappielow after you've blootered Aberdeen and we've put Motherwell to the sword in Round 5.

Best wishes from Greenock.

I think Declan Byrne is a big upgrade on your current forward options, if you give him chances he'll score goals. He's a very natural finisher (see the goal at NDP last April in our 2-0 win for evidence of that). He's also strong and clever at using his body for quite a small guy, and his headed finishing is absolutely terrific. Probably the best aspect of his game, three of his six goals for us were headers I think, and they were all bullets. He set up our goal at NDP earlier this month too, springing up to head the ball to Carlo Pignatiello.

He's a grafter and a scrapper who'll put in the hard yards, never just stand with his hands on his hips sulking and who'll relish getting stuck in to a physical battle. He doesn't always have the quality in terms of hold-up and link play. And there are games where very little comes off, but you'll always get effort.

His biggest issue (and fans of Albion Rovers will testify to this) is his fitness. This season he missed eight games for us through injury, and that's in a season where he's only started three times and hasn't completed 90 minutes once.

Last season he missed 10 games through injury. Came back and took a few to get back up to speed, started against Stenhousemuir in February and was outstanding. Then he missed the next four games.

In fact, in his whole time as a Son he only completed 90 minutes twice. In a 0-0 midweek with Stirling Albion and the 6-0 loss to Annan in the playoffs.

The season before he joined us he missed 25 games at Albion Rovers through injury. So he hasn't really played regularly since the Covid season with Stirling Albion.

If you keep him fit he'll be a popular player at NDP, and certainly one of the first times you've had a League Two quality forward. The only concern would be putting your eggs in his basket when he breaks down so frequently.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

If you keep him fit he'll be a popular player at NDP, and certainly one of the first times you've had a League Two quality forward. The only concern would be putting your eggs in his basket when he breaks down so frequently.

I watch them now and again and they’ve always been fairly solid in defence, lacking any real quality in midfield apart from Currie, and obvious lack of a goalscorer as you say.
This season already Horn has tried McGachie, Buchanan, Osadolor, Sutherland, Faye, Murray, Watson and even Ross Gray once, although he’s normally a midfielder. Probably not that well known is that McGachie has been getting injections in both knees for a few years now. I never thought he would score goals above LL level anyway but nice to see he still gets under the skin of people on here 😂

Just about the pitch- just under half of their points this season have come in away games, and they’ve won on the plastic at Forfar, Clyde and East Fife. I hear there’s big developments on the way involving the pitch, so the haters will have to find something else 😎

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I watch them now and again and they’ve always been fairly solid in defence, lacking any real quality in midfield apart from Currie, and obvious lack of a goalscorer as you say.
This season already Horn has tried McGachie, Buchanan, Osadolor, Sutherland, Faye, Murray, Watson and even Ross Gray once, although he’s normally a midfielder. Probably not that well known is that McGachie has been getting injections in both knees for a few years now. I never thought he would score goals above LL level anyway but nice to see he still gets under the skin of people on here 😂

Just about the pitch- just under half of their points this season have come in away games, and they’ve won on the plastic at Forfar, Clyde and East Fife. I hear there’s big developments on the way involving the pitch, so the haters will have to find something else 😎

That is a truly stinking list of forwards it must be said when you see it written down. Good grief. 

I'd mentioned it on The Terrace the other week, but I actually feel Bonnyrigg's pitch holds them back now. First season it was a leveller, but now they are a League Two team. You can't win promotion with a hopeless pitch, science has proven that. So I'd not be surprised at all to see Bonnyrigg going down the astro route (if that's what you're hinting at, and assuming they can lay an astro on a hill).

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That is a truly stinking list of forwards it must be said when you see it written down. Good grief. 

I'd mentioned it on The Terrace the other week, but I actually feel Bonnyrigg's pitch holds them back now. First season it was a leveller, but now they are a League Two team. You can't win promotion with a hopeless pitch, science has proven that. So I'd not be surprised at all to see Bonnyrigg going down the astro route (if that's what you're hinting at, and assuming they can lay an astro on a hill).

That list omitted the lesser-spotted Luke Mahady who scored the Rose equaliser in the opening league fixture at NDP.  I doubt I've ever seen us concede to a more ungainly runner.

The forward position has been a problem at NDP for years … with the exception of McGachie. What I can’t understand is Rose work best with a battling focal-point frontman but we persist with wee “speedy” guys who get outmuscled by the monster CBs in L2. The concern is that Byrne seems to be in the same mould as Buchanan, Murray, Watson et al. 

You make a great point about Currie, along with Gray easily the best midfielders at Bonnyrigg. Jarvis may come good now he’s back from injury but in the middle we’re light across the squad. Someone to take the pressure off Cuzza would be a big positive.

Next on the wish-list is an aforementioned monster CB. Every team in the league have one or two. If Young gets injured, then alarm bells!! Backup has come from Edinburgh City (Gormley) but I’m not sure he’s a Munro (Forfar), Crichton (Dumbarton) or Sonkur (Spartans).