The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

Just now, Melanius Mullarkay said:

IMG_6996.jpeg

Assuming Bayern? Always seem to have a go at Uefa about fan treatment.

As for the game, thought Aberdeen played very well, second goal was a bit soft but plenty of "bigger" sides have gone to Frankfurt and had a hiding. 

41 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

By the way, I'm sure somebody alluded to this earlier in the week, but our best performances seem to have come with Polvara in the team.

I think a more plausible explanation is that our better performances have tended to come when we have a (relatively) low possession share: 33% against Celtic, 39% away at Hacken, and 21% tonight. It should be said that we haven't actually won any of these games, but there have generally been more positives to take when we are relying primarily on quick transitions to create chances rather than sustained periods of possession.

Polvara, in fairness to him, is a good athlete, so that probably suits him more and makes his weaknesses less obvious. The next step for him, like a few others in the squad, is to start having more of an impact when we come up against deep defences domestically and have close to half or the majority of possession. 

12 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think a more plausible explanation is that our better performances have tended to come when we have a (relatively) low possession share: 33% against Celtic, 39% away at Hacken, and 21% tonight. It should be said that we haven't actually won any of these games, but there have generally been more positives to take when we are relying primarily on quick transitions to create chances rather than sustained periods of possession.

Polvara, in fairness to him, is a good athlete, so that probably suits him more and makes his weaknesses less obvious. The next step for him, like a few others in the squad, is to start having more of an impact when we come up against deep defences domestically and have close to half or the majority of possession. 

I've wondered that about some teams - intrinsically better performing when they see less of the ball or up against a better opponent. Conversely, under Neilson, Hearts seemed unable to play a defensive game against a superior team.

Well done Aberdeen despite the defeat. I feared the pre match predictions would come true after conceding so early, but they did well to get back in so quickly which I think was key 

16 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I've wondered that about some teams - intrinsically better performing when they see less of the ball or up against a better opponent. Conversely, under Neilson, Hearts seemed unable to play a defensive game against a superior team.

Well done Aberdeen despite the defeat. I feared the pre match predictions would come true after conceding so early, but they did well to get back in so quickly which I think was key 

Yip. Our best performance have come against teams who have more of the ball.

We need to find a way to play against the teams who are happy for us to have the ball.

I was several pints deep last night so no real tactical analysis to offer. 

Fair to say much better than expected so credit where it’s due. I don’t think it really has any bearing on our domestic form and Sunday will tell us far more about this season but fair play. 

The 2nd goal is such a shite one to concede though, so frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was several pints deep last night so no real tactical analysis to offer. 

Fair to say much better than expected so credit where it’s due. I don’t think it really has any bearing on our domestic form and Sunday will tell us far more about this season but fair play. 

The 2nd goal is such a shite one to concede though, so frustrating. 

The root of the second goal was when we lost easy possession at the edge of our box to allow the cross to come in to set up the corner. As well as I thought we played, and we undoubtedly did play well, there were more than a few times we gave up possession when we had ample opportunity to retain the ball. 

Totally agree with you about the Ross County game. It's a completely different type of match from last night and we need to start to dominate games against teams that let us have the ball. 

51 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The root of the second goal was when we lost easy possession at the edge of our box to allow the cross to come in to set up the corner. As well as I thought we played, and we undoubtedly did play well, there were more than a few times we gave up possession when we had ample opportunity to retain the ball. 

Totally agree with you about the Ross County game. It's a completely different type of match from last night and we need to start to dominate games against teams that let us have the ball. 

There was a lot of pissing about near the edge of the box in the second half. Especially over on the right side. No composure and very infuriating. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Yeah I agree, I just have a real pet hate of losing games and undoing so much good work to someone switching off at a set piece. You see it so often, most times at parkhead and ibrox and it just drives me mad.

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

There was a lot of pissing about near the edge of the box in the second half. Especially over on the right side. No composure and very infuriating. 

We were doing it a lot against hearts too, mostly before launching it 80 yards. 

On 21/09/2023 at 20:55, kingjoey said:

A few Dons fans, including me, should be on here eating humble pie.

I was certainly one of the doom mongers that was surprised at the level of performance we produced on Thursday night against a team that was assembled at high cost.

However, the bottom line is that we lost again when there were opportunities for us to take something home with us.

Hopefully, a positive side effect from the morale boosting performance on Thursday will be an improvement on the domestic front with victories and good performances.

Until they start winning my humble pie will remain in the oven.

57 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was certainly one of the doom mongers that was surprised at the level of performance we produced on Thursday night against a team that was assembled at high cost.

However, the bottom line is that we lost again when there were opportunities for us to take something home with us.

Hopefully, a positive side effect from the morale boosting performance on Thursday will be an improvement on the domestic front with victories and good performances.

Until they start winning my humble pie will remain in the oven.

Yes, it is another defeat, but given that everyone, bar none, thought we were getting trounced it's a bit nit picky to be annoyed that we didn't take a point after our two late chances. We limited an excellent side to, apart from some long range efforts, virtually no chances by ripping us apart, and that all our best chances and goal were from open play is huge credit to our team.

I think the PAOK fixtures will give us a better idea of where we stand, given that we’ve already seen them against Scottish opposition this season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them topping the group. 

Having said that, if we win our home games and pick something up in the away fixtures then we might top the group. I’m away to take my meds. 

27 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Yes, it is another defeat, but given that everyone, bar none, thought we were getting trounced it's a bit nit picky to be annoyed that we didn't take a point after our two late chances. We limited an excellent side to, apart from some long range efforts, virtually no chances by ripping us apart, and that all our best chances and goal were from open play is huge credit to our team.

I see the point though. Huge credit for the performance and not going to criticise them for not taking a point, but ultimately it’s a defeat and come tomorrow evening if we’ve turned in another insipid domestic performance then it’s completely forgotten and all the goodwill is gone.