Closer to this than that…year edition…or, mortality says “hi”

Did a little math and realized that we are now closer to 2100 than the end of WW2. Grew up reading the “Commando” paperbacks (graphic novels, now?) and playing with Airfix HO-Scale WW2 soldiers…makes you feel quite old.

IMG_0456.thumb.jpeg.dfac7ce64889b854f446940c99e1a37e.jpeg

We're closer to St. Patrick's day 2080 than we are to England last winning the world cup.

The invention of the penalty kick is closer to Falkirk's last Scottish Cup final win than the win is to today. 

The date of my birth is closer to the coronation of Edward VII than to that of Charles III.

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Did a little math and realized that we are now closer to 2100 than the end of WW2. Grew up reading the “Commando” paperbacks (graphic novels, now?) and playing with Airfix HO-Scale WW2 soldiers…makes you feel quite old.

Did ye?

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Singular? This side of the pond we can count higher than one.

The difference in time between present day and the DoB of my great grandfather (who I met when he was alive) is the same time difference between his DoB and the Battle of Culloden.

Edited by Hedgecutter

My last "oh god, time is advancing worryingly fast" moment was when I realised that teenagers now must think music from the Sixties is as archaic as I thought music from the Thirties was when I was their age. Jesus, in less than a decade the Thirties will be now again!  :o

Also just realised that I'm at the transitional age where I'm graduating from the "dad" bracket into the "granddad" era. I could've had a child in my twenties who would now be the age at which I made them (or older). Can't help but feel that I'm supposed to be an adult by now.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Im 51 this year so f**k the lot of you. 

A mere youngster!

I used to figure out my age by how many years it was since Man Utd had won the league (until Fergie started doing the business with them in the 90s).

I still tend to think of music from the early 90s as being quite recent, till I realise that if you went back the same number of years again you would be in pre-Beatles time! 

Growing up in Dunfermline in the 70s all the black and white photos of The Pars glory days seemed like ancient history though they were probably as close as the London Olympics is to the current day.