Closer to this than that…year edition…or, mortality says “hi”

6 hours ago, BTFD said:

Not quite the point of the thread, but I preferred Commando's sister publication Football Picture Story Monthly.

footballPSspecial3.jpg

Still got a shitload of them including a few in that picture.

My young lad occasionally reads them now. 

2 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I teach MATHS in the US and refuse to call it "math" @TxRover

It is what it is, math is correct in the U.S., maths in the UK…I try to code switch properly in my posts, but….if you wrote “maths” in a paper here at schools, you would be marked off…and vice versa…

One for the history buffs.  We are closer in time to the formation of the Roman republic in 509 BCE than that is to the formation of the Egyptian empire in 3100 BCE.

36 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

We are as far from the release of what many considered the first pop record, Rock around the Clock as Rock around the Clock was from the debut performance of Bizet's Carmen

Likewise, we're a fair bit further away from the release of Nirvana's Nevermind than Nevermind was from the formation of the Beatles.

In terms of family connections, my old dear knew her grandfather when she was a young kid just before WW2 who had married late in life and had been born sometime around 1850...working back the same amount of time from his DOB as it is to today would take you back to the reign of Charles II.

18 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

A mere youngster!

I used to figure out my age by how many years it was since Man Utd had won the league (until Fergie started doing the business with them in the 90s).

I still tend to think of music from the early 90s as being quite recent, till I realise that if you went back the same number of years again you would be in pre-Beatles time! 

Growing up in Dunfermline in the 70s all the black and white photos of The Pars glory days seemed like ancient history though they were probably as close as the London Olympics is to the current day. 

I Was thinking something on similar lines,  except pars glory days you can keep that to yourself!  I think it's not just the old cliche about time periods feeling shorter as you get older due to relativity. I think when it comes to how technology shapes our lifestyle, the difference in technology and it's effect on our lives between 1980 and 2000 was absolutely astounding and whilst there have obviously been big changes since, technology from 2000 to now is essentially the same, only much much better.

in 1980 we had 3 tv channels and hardly any live football showing, no internet and no mobile phones with the vast majority of interactions being in person, by 2000 we had sky digital with huge amounts of live sport, the first broadband was rolled out, retail starting to go online. comprahenive mobile phone ownership and coverage - though not the standard of today.   There was much more to it that that, It feels to me like the changes from the last 20 years haven't been anywhere near as drastic as the ones before.

in 2003 we booked an new york with my family for a long weekend like it was just a normal thing to do , in 1983 my parents and most of those they knew had never been further than blackpool