2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

34 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I have not been to Brechin since they have become an HL club, so therefore they have not come into my thinking. My last visit was a 3-3 draw the season we won the Second Division. Those were the days. 

You will have to give it another visit. The majority seem to enjoy it but there are a few from Inverness who seem to think we are entitled too...........strangely only  because there are stewards at our home games . 🤣

Edited by theoriginalhedge

54 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You will have to give it another visit. The majority seem to enjoy it but there are a few from Inverness who seem to think we are entitled too...........strangely only  because there are stewards at our home games . 🤣

I want it on the record that I do not think Brechin City fans are entitled. My woeful attempt at satire should be ignored. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

2 seasons ago Fort William’s pitch was deemed unplayable due to the lack of drainage and they had to play all their games away from home. Brora’s pitch is fucked for the same reason, so if they can’t get if sorted, the same rule/decision should apply. 

Aye but you know it won’t. The way Fort were treated, especially in the playoff that they hadn’t a hope in hell of winning anyway, was shocking.

1 hour ago, MonTheHedge said:

Aye but you know it won’t. The way Fort were treated, especially in the playoff that they hadn’t a hope in hell of winning anyway, was shocking.

Can’t go upsetting the highland league big guns in Brora and Buckie,I’m sure the committee will wangle it to help them out.

18 hours ago, TheScarf said:

2 seasons ago Fort William’s pitch was deemed unplayable due to the lack of drainage and they had to play all their games away from home. Brora’s pitch is fucked for the same reason, so if they can’t get if sorted, the same rule/decision should apply. 

It wasn't just the drainage, this is how Claggan Park looked a couple of days before the first game of the season, the Highland League were given no warning. 

16 hours ago, MonTheHedge said:

Fort were definitely not treated unfairly with regards to the play-off. It's their own incompetence that put them in that situation. If we are to win the league, the exactly same rules will apply to us and we have been aware of that from the moment we got accepted into the pyramid.

16 hours ago, MonTheHedge said:

Fort William unilaterally withdrew from the play offs, and the ineligible player rule was the SFA's, nothing to do with the Highland League. In regards to Claggan Park, all Fort were asked to do was mow the grass and line the pitch for an inspection before it was authorised for the home leg, that's when the Fort chairman threw his toys and said they wouldn't be playing. 

Portion of humble pie for me, I had misremembered that they withdrew due to their pitch being declared not playable despite carrying out the recommendations of the ref, I was wrong. 

The registered player thing was their own incompetence too. 

22 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Very well. I didn't know that Brora's pitch was that bad,

Formartine got away for years with postponing every game when there had been a bit of drizzle, until they finally invested in drainage instead of poaching players. Buckie and Brora have managed fine until this season, don't know what's going on. 

Edited by welshbairn

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Formartine got away for years with postponing every game when there had been a bit of drizzle, until they finally invested in drainage instead of poaching players. Buckie and Brora have managed fine until this season, don't know what's going on. 

Aye seems the wetter weather has destroyed Victoria and Dudgeon parks...........

Wee bit galling that it's 2 of the league's top dogs as well !!

For me Nairn County's pitch is the best av seen in the HL.

Vale's PRP pitch used to be good but not as good nowadays. 

Lossie's pitch holds up pretty well also to the weather. 

Gonna be a grandstand finish to the HL season that's for sure,what with the backlog of fixtures now building up.

It will be all about who can keep they're squad injury free and who can keep there momentum going right to the finish line.

At the bottom,all depends on whether Lochee United can clinch the Midland League and probable promotion against probable opponents Strathy Jags.

On 10/01/2024 at 20:49, MonTheHedge said:

With regards, to their pitch, Fort got away with murder for years - decades, even. Everyone who has supported a SHFL team for long enough will have some tale of how close they got to Fort before hearing the game was off (Fort Augustus in my case), or some other bizarre tale involving deer dung, people camping on the pitch, someone wheelbarrowing sand onto the pitch to fill in holes big enough to hide toddlers in. In their first season in the league they were plagued by postponements and ended up playing their 'home' game against Lossie at Lossie on a Sunday at the end of the season. Their staggering incompetence re player registrations in their final SHFL season did them no favours.

The only thing Fort got right in their final season was their ability to bait their fans online with claims of how the league was out to get them, when what actually holed them below the waterline was the morons and conspiracy theorists running the club. 

They were on the clock re the pitch the minute the relegation playoffs were added to the season, and did nothing about it. 

Why are Buckie not being given midweek games this month already? Could understand them not wanting one before they play Celtic (though whether that should be taken out of their hands is a different question), but why don't they have a game the following midweek? Seems pretty close to certain they'll end up having to do a Sat-Mon-Wed-Sat at some point as a result, and then they'll no doubt moan about being tired going into the run-in and/or play-offs.

Edited by craigkillie