Dundee United 23/24

23 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Rumour on twitter that we've got Liam Smith training with us, any positive thoughts on him as a player?

I don't remember him being very impressive when he's played against us previously. 

He's versatile, in the sense that he is equally mediocre in a number of positions 

ETA: he's way too good for League One, having said that.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

1 hour ago, Fife Arab said:

Liam Grimshaw. Signed 

Hoped he'd be moving out of this division rather than playing against us next season, but it was always a logical signing for Dundee United to make. The best full back in the league last season and can play in midfield just as effectively. Play him at right back and you've picked up the only one in the division who's an upgrade on Smith, play him in central midfield and between him and Docherty you've solved your total lack of defensive presence in the middle of park from last season.

18 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Hoped he'd be moving out of this division rather than playing against us next season, but it was always a logical signing for Dundee United to make. The best full back in the league last season and can play in midfield just as effectively. Play him at right back and you've picked up the only one in the division who's an upgrade on Smith, play him in central midfield and between him and Docherty you've solved your total lack of defensive presence in the middle of park from last season.

Think you will find that before his injury Milne was best full back in Championship. 

On 19/06/2023 at 15:45, ArabianKnight said:

Hinchcliffe away officially now. Thank god.

And is now our goalkeeping coach...

Doesn't do anything stand-outish but just does everything correct. So composed on the ball and seems to have more time on the ball than other players on the pitch in this league. There's many good players in the championship but not many you look at and think he's clearly too good for this level but grimshaw was one. 

Only worry for a Dundee utd perspective is that he's not a great attacking fullback and suited our style so perhaps he may not suit a side that wants fullbacks to bomb on. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I remain unconvinced by these signings until someone confirms that they "fit the system"

I'll wait until the resident Dees have confirmed how much we're paying them before deciding if it's good business.

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Only worry for a Dundee utd perspective is that he's not a great attacking fullback and suited our style so perhaps he may not suit a side that wants fullbacks to bomb on. 

TBH at the moment, we will settle for defenders who understand the concept of defending

Just to echo what other Morton supporters have said - that's a great signing for DUFC and a significant (but totally expected) loss for us. The best in the division by a country mile IMO - although I do take the point about Milne pre-injury.

All at Ton wish him the very best in his future career.

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Doesn't do anything stand-outish but just does everything correct. So composed on the ball and seems to have more time on the ball than other players on the pitch in this league. There's many good players in the championship but not many you look at and think he's clearly too good for this level but grimshaw was one. 

Not fussed about guys bombing on. We need solid,  aggressive workers. We had plenty of fancy shit last season and nothing behind them.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Genuine question, because I don’t know the answer.  Now you’ve binned your keeping coach, are you keeping your keeper?  

Absolutely not. 

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I remain unconvinced by these signings until someone confirms that they "fit the system"

Not only have i had assurances that they fit the system, I've also heard there's a guarantee the new signings will be bang at it and kick on after Christmas.