Dundee United 23/24

Certainly not a happy clapper, but on the face of it having such a positive goal difference and won the vast majority of our games you would think United were somehow really really struggling to make in roads for a title challenge this season!

Has the football been as free flowing as we would like? No.

Have we rode the struggle bus at times? Yes.

I totally understand for a lot of United supporters their point of reference is European glory and winning cups etc in the 80s but for us that started in the 90s not being the great and glorious gives us a bit of a more balanced perspective.

I'm totally unsure of how we'll cope in the prem when we go up but given half the squad will be away it's a coin toss.

Not sure Goodwin will be the man for the job then but as it stands we're getting promoted with a near record amount of points if we carry on as we have.

Don't understand the frothing at the mouth that's happening in some quarters.

A 2-1 win away from home and my first thought (and not the 1st time this season) is Dull, lucky and boring.

Ofcourse this season is all about getting promoted, however, when you see what we have in players compared to the rest I'm expecting much more quality and threat. We really struggle against most teams in this league. Goodwin will get eaten alive in the Premier, again. 

The object of the exercise this year is to win the league, and we are in a good position to do that. It's been a slog recently, and we are probably fortunate that Raith Rovers have fallen to bits since beating us at Tannadice. I'm not convinced Goodwin will be a good enough manager in the Premiership, but let's get there before worrying about that.

34 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Certainly not a happy clapper, but on the face of it having such a positive goal difference and won the vast majority of our games you would think United were somehow really really struggling to make in roads for a title challenge this season!

Has the football been as free flowing as we would like? No.

Have we rode the struggle bus at times? Yes.

I totally understand for a lot of United supporters their point of reference is European glory and winning cups etc in the 80s but for us that started in the 90s not being the great and glorious gives us a bit of a more balanced perspective.

I'm totally unsure of how we'll cope in the prem when we go up but given half the squad will be away it's a coin toss.

Not sure Goodwin will be the man for the job then but as it stands we're getting promoted with a near record amount of points if we carry on as we have.

Don't understand the frothing at the mouth that's happening in some quarters.

Great result in the end today which is obviously the most important thing and we are not going to steamroller teams every week but I feel Goodwin has us playing far more negatively recently than we were earlier in the season. We started the season playing a high pressure pressing game and eventually we started playing with Watt and Moult as more of a pair and we were scoring for fun, the pressing game has gone recently and been replaced with a slow ponderous build up. The last few games have seen us back to having 1 isolated striker with very little support. Part of the problem is that the form of our various attackers has dropped but I can’t help but think if Goodwin was a bit more positive then there would be a better chance of them rediscovering their early season form. 

20 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Great result in the end today which is obviously the most important thing and we are not going to steamroller teams every week but I feel Goodwin has us playing far more negatively recently than we were earlier in the season. We started the season playing a high pressure pressing game and eventually we started playing with Watt and Moult as more of a pair and we were scoring for fun, the pressing game has gone recently and been replaced with a slow ponderous build up. The last few games have seen us back to having 1 isolated striker with very little support. Part of the problem is that the form of our various attackers has dropped but I can’t help but think if Goodwin was a bit more positive then there would be a better chance of them rediscovering their early season form. 

Can't disagree with this at all, think it's a reaction to the pressure personally.

I  hope that we can open up a bit of a lead up top so we can get back to that way of playing and finish the season on a high.

Tbf though, if United can win through ponderous and slow play and clearly can win with a bit of pace that's an indicator that we can mix it up a bit.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I always thought winning a league would be a lot of fun. 

If you had told me at 2.30 this afternoon that United would beat Ayr, and Scotland would win in Cardiff, "Aye but..." would not have been my expected reaction

17 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The object of the exercise this year is to win the league, and we are in a good position to do that. It's been a slog recently, and we are probably fortunate that Raith Rovers have fallen to bits since beating us at Tannadice. I'm not convinced Goodwin will be a good enough manager in the Premiership, but let's get there before worrying about that.

As a club/team we need to have one eye on the Premier and planning for it so, I'm not in the camp of let's get promoted THEN worry about our next step. 

Huge question marks over Goodwin and even if he walls this league he still has it all to prove and probably should be given the chance to prove it. 

IMO he needs to be showing now that he can change a game, have different ideas and know how to break teams down and in this league with the resources we have against the rest it should be more comfortable than it has been. 

Maybe I'm asking too much 

We should expect, no, demand 3-0 wins in every game from now till the end of the season.

If we fail to do so, Goodwin should be sacked and banished to Perth, Fife or some such hell hole for the rest of his career.

If we don't get promoted then liquidate everything.

I think that's fair and reasonable. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch
Typo due to excessive mouth frothing and keyboard smashing

2 hours ago, Tap in 94 said:

Anyone any idea who the defender is that we're signing early next week?

Saw a rumour last week of Barry Maguire from Motherwell, think he had a loan spell at Dundee last season. Might be him 

2 hours ago, Loemba90 said:

Saw a rumour last week of Barry Maguire from Motherwell, think he had a loan spell at Dundee last season. Might be him 

And you tell me
Over and over and over again, my friend
How you don't believe
We're on the eve of destruction

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Loemba90 said:

He’s already played for us and Kidderminster this season so probably not.

Rumour is he’s away to LOI.

13 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Win the Chumpionship or not, you're sailing towards disaster with Cpt Birdseye at the helm, that much is certain. IMO.

Keep going.

Thank you.

I love some fans of the wee team. 

Dundee spending a couple of seasons in the Premier is like an 18yr old passing his driving test.

He has spent his life standing at bus stops but now, he is driving a Kia Picanto with a fake exhaust and loud music playing nipping around town thinking he is one of the BMW's that the big boys drive. Next thing he realises he is caught speeding, banned for a year and back standing at the bus stop watching the big boys continuing cruising by in their nice cars.

Dundee FC, Please never stop giving

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

And you tell me
Over and over and over again, my friend
How you don't believe
We're on the eve of destruction

Reveal hidden contents

Dickies version is better. 

1 hour ago, Glen Scotia said:

I love some fans of the wee team. 

Dundee spending a couple of seasons in the Premier is like an 18yr old passing his driving test.

He has spent his life standing at bus stops but now, he is driving a Kia Picanto with a fake exhaust and loud music playing nipping around town thinking he is one of the BMW's that the big boys drive. Next thing he realises he is caught speeding, banned for a year and back standing at the bus stop watching the big boys continuing cruising by in their nice cars.

Dundee FC, Please never stop giving

image.jpeg.ebfc4a8c565b2cec66b11146e661fc42.jpeg