Dundee United 23/24

Is Walton top flight good? Never really seen him be tested on the TV games. Usually had nothing to do or conceded a goal that he could do nothing about.

Who do you lads think Goodwin is going to keep going into next season?

37 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is Walton top flight good? Never really seen him be tested on the TV games. Usually had nothing to do or conceded a goal that he could do nothing about.

Who do you lads think Goodwin is going to keep going into next season?

He's been decent, and seems to be a calming influence on the defence.

I'd be more than happy to start a Premiership season with him, though I do admit that judgement may be clouded by our previous bad experience

I’ll be happy enough with Walton as our number 1 next season.  

Will there be better keepers out there? Absolutely

Do I trust United to find a better keeper? Absolutely not

Still utterly haunted by the Birighitti gamble that spectacularly failed.  Goalkeeper is not a position to take a chance on.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Would be happy for us to bid 100k or similar for him. Young with potential and we should just go for it putting him and Graham in from the start of the season and building the partnership further.

Gallagher for experienced back up plus another would be fine for the prem.

There's no expectation from me for next season other than not going straight back down. Don't really want to see the club over extend with cash in chasing a dream and putting us in a precarious position.

If we can get Walton back, and make some astute signings that keep us up and give a platform to build on I'll be a happy man.

If we get top 6 then that will be great, not expecting cup wins and rainbows though.

There will be a section of the support that's got some serious dissonance between expectations and reality and I'm not looking forward to the inevitable knifes out of things aren't going well.

I agree that the club cannot just throw money at trying to stay up, particularly given the financial mess we are in.  But there is targeted and judicious spending that can have a huge effect.

For example had we brought in a decent keeper in the January transfer window in the 2022/23 season there’s a good chance we would not have been relegated.  The cost of doing so would have outweighed the cost of relegation.  It was glaringly obvious to the supporters that Birighitti was a disaster but the club failed to act.

Which brings me on to another key point, we are sadly lacking people at the club with a knowledge of football.  Having finally go rid of Ashgar, a total fraud of a man, Ogren has not brought it anyone with a footballing background who has any strategic oversight.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

How's McClelland been played? 

He looked brutally slow to turn/adjust/run when he did play for us, so any balls in the channel were a nightmare as you'd know the opponent was getting the ball.

His chances of playing for us probably depend on what division we're in, and there's more chance he stays if we're relegated if anything.

He is slow, which is my only issue with him.  Everything else about him seems solid

5 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

I think there are a lot of young guys who haven’t really done much to enhance their reputations this season. One of the only silver linings of being relegated was that I thought it might result in guys like Mochrie, Meekison, McLeod, Cudjoe etc establishing themselves as first team players - it could have been the making of them, but very few of them really managed to make much of an impression. Fotheringham certainly, Graham (if he hadn’t already) and Cudjoe in fits and starts have probably shown they are of the standard required but the rest haven’t done themselves any big favours. 

I'd say taking two Academy players from nothing to first team regulars over the course of one season, whilst having to keep a championship winning team going is pretty impressive. Add to that Graham's re-emergence and Mochrie's match winning contributions from the bench and there's four guys who have played a significant role. Then there's Cudjoe and Glass who both made an impact, albeit for a shorter period and who now seemed to have slipped out of the picture. Meekison would surely have got more games but for injury. Seems rather churlish to look at all that and say the young guys haven't made an impression.

6 hours ago, SGMilne said:

I think there's very little difference between a balanced Premiership squad from 4th down compared to what we've got as Championship winners.

If we let Moult go, he would 100% be snapped up by one of our rivals for next season.

You're seriously deluded/have no clue what you're on about. IMO.

15 hours ago, SGMilne said:

I think there's very little difference between a balanced Premiership squad from 4th down compared to what we've got as Championship winners.

So no significant upgrades needed for next season?  The money men at Tannadice will be delighted to hear that.  

10 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

I know what we don't need and that's blue nosed priks coming on here telling us what we need.

They’re only worried that one of their rare periods as the “Big Club” in the city are over again, this time after one year. 

Ticket purchased for Friday night. Similar to a lot of you, I'm too young to have enjoyed Dens in 83, and the only other league title in my lifetime was the COVID one.

As a result, to be perfectly honest, I'm not getting my hopes up!

On 21/04/2024 at 13:39, ArabianKnight said:

Him and Graham have struck up a good partnership last few games. Doesn't seem to be that slow but he's definitely in the mould of no nonsense defender who clears most of what comes his way. He might not be that great when facing pacier forwards in the prem but he's been good this far. 

Yeah he was kind of signed and heralded as a "blood and snotters" type of CB, and I was never sure if his struggles were just because he came into a struggling shambles of a side more than anything about his quality.

On 21/04/2024 at 19:04, WhatDayIsIt said:

He is slow, which is my only issue with him.  Everything else about him seems solid

It's something I think you can work around, but i think it's under rated how much more physical/mobile top flight strikers are. Folk like Simon Murray and Jordan White just kind of destroyed him as a duo.

On 21/04/2024 at 13:56, Mark Connolly said:

A competent keeper has to be the priority.

That can be hanging on to Walton, or getting someone else, but it's absolutely key

☝️showing signs of PBSD

11 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

BBC Gossip page saying Wotherspoon wants to stay. Fine with me. He's certainly too good for the Championship

No.  He is old and missed most of his games with us through injury.  This is the most obvious type of signing to avoid.

2 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

No.  He is old and missed most of his games with us through injury.  This is the most obvious type of signing to avoid.

Not sure what his fitness record before coming to us is like and I can’t be arsed checking, but I totally agree that signing known crocks is a big no no.

2 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

If it was a pay as you play sort of thing I'd probably be fine. I like him, but his injury record is a bit of a concern. I guess St Johnstone must have got rid of him for a reason