Dundee United 23/24

McMann was our most consistent player all season, but he's out of contract and there will be likely be better alternatives out there.

Surprised at Holt but considering how solid we were in defence I can understand keeping him. Still need to sign another centre back though and you'd hope he'd be of a higher standard and will be a stick on starter.

Cudjoe is likely not on the list so we can get compensation, but equally the likes of Meekison and Mochrie are on the list because we'll just want to help them get on with their careers.

It's all quite exciting thinking about how we could have a refreshed team next season, but there have to be lessons learned from the last season we were there.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Maybe not so much Goodwin but the new recruitment guy?

I think what you’ll find is boys like chalmers Mochrie, Archie were pulling in some good money that probably hasn’t been justified. Chalmers was reportedly pulling in close to 2k a week. So maybe did want to keep some and the new recruitment reckons we can get more moneys worth. Time will tell 

23 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

McMann was fine in the championship but think we are going 3 at the back next year and he doesn't produce enough going forward.

That depresses me.  :(

I'm guessing none of you are that desperate to see Greive back, there is a "useful player" in him not an outstanding one, but he may be returning to his parent club, however his deals runs out at the end of this month and will be a free agent.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm guessing none of you are that desperate to see Greive back, there is a "useful player" in him not an outstanding one, but he may be returning to his parent club, however his deals runs out at the end of this month and will be a free agent.

No thanks.  See also Jordan Tillson.

If we could somehow get Walton or McClelland back, that’d be great. 

Just now, adamntg said:

No thanks.  See also Jordan Tillson.

He's a genuine guy and clearly works hard during games, but from the little I saw of him for you, it's not like the drop down a division made him stand out more.

Maybe under a different manager, who knows, and he's got some international caps to his name so with luck he'll find a decent gig somewhere.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

On current ability I'd rather we had Jimmy Greaves 

Since we signed him I've been saying "he could be a great signing" let me down every time 

1 hour ago, SGMilne said:

McMann was our most consistent player all season, but he's out of contract and there will be likely be better alternatives out there.

I wonder if he had taken a wage drop for this season after we got relegated. If so, then presumably he would have wanted to go back up to last year's level (or maybe higher) with a new deal. I'd have thought he'd have been decent to keep around the squad, but I can see why we might release him.

Not particularly surprised by the rest. I think it says it all when you see a release list, and your biggest reaction is sheer delight at seeing one certain name on it!

35 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

It’s gone very quiet on the takeover/partnership talk, Brentford/Brighton lost interest?  The rumour was that a deal was dependant on promotion…

I don't think it's a takeover. 20% is what I heard. 

3 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

I don't think it's a takeover. 20% is what I heard. 

What the hell are we going to do with 20% of Brentford or Brighton?

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Nice laddie, runs about a lot, terrible footballer.

On the released list, I'm disappointed to see McMann, Mochrie and Meekison there. McMann has been one of our best players this season and whilst he struggled last time we were in the Premiership he would have been a solid squad player. Maybe that's just sentiment though. Mochrie and Meekison are good footballers and Mochrie in particular has made a good contribution in the few games he has played. I think both will go on to play at a decent level.

Holt, okay as back up. Cannae see Cudjoe staying and this is presumably just to ensure we get a fee. Not sure he's good enough to make up for his tiny stature.

5 hours ago, EuroArab said:

Holt and Graham to start, with Gallagher on the bench surely? 

I think after his performances towards the end of the season Goodwin would start him over Gallagher.

Nah, it's surely Graham or Holt with presumably Graham pushing ahead as first pick. Graham did okay when played out of position on the right but much better when he went back to his natural position. 

Maybe some of you knew this:

I was surprised the other day to learn Adrián Spörle had in January signed for one of the biggest clubs in Argentina, Club Atlético Independiente, on a two year contract. His manager is Carlos Tevez, and his club sit four points behind River Plate after 14 matches of the 2024 season.

Spörle's played a part on 8 of these matches, and been on the bench for the other 6.

Never thought he'd play at such a level when he left United in 2022, Tam Courts hardly gave him a minute on the park in the last few months of his time at Tannadice. 

03_adrin_sporle.thumb.jpg.7b4540ebab4b40582ee99e1c91988ffb.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Maybe some of you knew this:

I was surprised the other day to learn Adrián Spörle had in January signed for one of the biggest clubs in Argentina, Club Atlético Independiente, on a two year contract. His manager is Carlos Tevez, and his club sit four points behind River Plate after 14 matches of the 2024 season.

Spörle's played a part on 8 of these matches, and been on the bench for the other 6.

Never thought he'd play at such a level when he left United in 2022, Tam Courts hardly gave him a minute on the park in the last few months of his time at Tannadice. 

03_adrin_sporle.thumb.jpg.7b4540ebab4b40582ee99e1c91988ffb.jpg

I like Sporle. I'm not sure anyone knew what his actual position was though!

39 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

On the released list, I'm disappointed to see McMann, Mochrie and Meekison there. McMann has been one of our best players this season and whilst he struggled last time we were in the Premiership he would have been a solid squad player. Maybe that's just sentiment though. Mochrie and Meekison are good footballers and Mochrie in particular has made a good contribution in the few games he has played. I think both will go on to play at a decent level.

Holt, okay as back up. Cannae see Cudjoe staying and this is presumably just to ensure we get a fee. Not sure he's good enough to make up for his tiny stature.

Mochrie was offered a deal. He must have something else lined up.

55 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I like Sporle. I'm not sure anyone knew what his actual position was though!

I quite liked Spörle too. His big problem was perhaps that he was always too willing to bomb forward and attack. It would explain why several managers never seemed to fully trust him. If nothing else his constant reckless charges forward helped make the last 2-3 months of Mickey Mellon's shit-fest tenure slightly more enjoyable.

As for today's departures, Mochrie is the one that most surprises me. Meekison has really fallen out of the picture towards the end of this season, but Mochrie has at least popped up with some big moments this year. McMann I sympathise with, because he has had a really good consistent season. However, if we're being ruthless, I thought McMann was pretty stinking in 2022/23 and only didn't catch more flack for it because Smith, Freeman, Edwards and Mulgrew were hogging the attention with their declines instead.