Dundee United 23/24

32 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I've got the weird feeling Goodwin is going to go with something different on Saturday. I do think he'll mix the formation about given the injury to McMann and with what happened against Inverness.

Will that be enough to both throw Raith off and get a result.

Remains to be seen 

If McMann is out then he can go to a back three of Graham, Gallagher & McClelland with Thompson and Middleton as wing backs.  Sibbald, Doc & Tillson (shivers) in the midfield and then Watt playing off Moult. 

Ideally Grimshaw and Grieve do not make the team, no matter what.

2 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

If McMann is out then he can go to a back three of Graham, Gallagher & McClelland with Thompson and Middleton as wing backs.  Sibbald, Doc & Tillson (shivers) in the midfield and then Watt playing off Moult. 

Ideally Grimshaw and Grieve do not make the team, no matter what.

That does seem to be the logical option! That line up has been touted on twitter etc and it's hard to disagree with the logic of going with that.

I do think either have Tilson or Grimshaw in the destroyer role allowing Doc and Sibbs to play their own game would be much of a muchness. Grimshaw has marginally better technical skills than Tilson although I think Tilly is better at actually defending.

20 hours ago, TxRover said:

Fair enough, I wasn’t seeking a fight on it, it just seemed peculiar, but looking for afar can distort things.

On the figures, I struggle to see how you could ever be rid of Ogren, given that data…but we thought Sims was our particular combination savior/albatross too, so there’s little room to squawk. It’s a quite chipper summary on most fronts, but that’s a nasty dark cloud on the horizon.

With average attendances down over 1,600, and prize money almost non-existent vs the Premiership, this really is a potentially make or break game coming up. Do you think Goodwin has it in him?

2022/2023.in Premiership ave attendance 8625

2023/24 in Championship ave attendance 7934

That's a difference of 691. That isn't bad considering we've lost games against Celtic, Rangers*, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs.

Season ticket sales were healthy, all be it a bit down from last seaon where we beat our records STs by almost 1000. We also pocketed £500,000 from Aziz Behich's move from ASL to Saudi. Add in we have dropped £2 million in outgoings from July to December 2023 compared to the previous season. Shifting Edwards, Behich, Fletcher, Levitt, Harkes, Mulgrew, Niskanen & Erikson will have made a big difference to the wage bill as their replacements will be on fractions of their wages. We are on course to drop just over £4million from our outgoings compared to last season. The wages some of these guys were on was rediculous, Watt for example is on 4K a week. Our previous DOF chucked money about like confetti!

Prize money is.far,far lower & we've missed out on boosting the coffers thanks to bottling it in the cup games but the figure should look far, far better for this season. Admin won't happen as the money is all due to Ogren & he'll lose a load of money if he does, nothing is owed to anyone outside of the Ogrens.

If fat Tony and his hangers on hadn't left it would have been much worse.

Coming to Goodwin, he stated at the Courier's "Evening With Jim Goodwin" that he could "only fail" at United. No matter how many points United win the league by, if we do,  no one will say "well done" it will be "OK that's what was expected, now next season..." Add in Watt in his interview shown at half time during the televised game from Starks Park, mentioned the manager saying "do not lose!".

To me this is the route of the problem. His failure at Aberdeen has given him the yips. He sends the team out not to lose, rather than going out to win. We play too slow and safe, rather than moving the ball quickly. If he'd take the shackles off I think we'd do better, but his negativity has spread to the players.

I want him to do well, seems a decent guy, speaks well etc but I have absolutely no confidence in the management team nor playing staff in a must win game, and from what I've seen if we're in the playoffs we're here next season!

Edited by Tannadeechee

Agree with @Tannadeechee above, nonetheless I've spoken to fans who have sat behind Goodwin at away games, and contrary to the majority view that he's negative and does little during matches to influence players and the game, they insist he is positive, coaxing the team forward, encouraging faster movement on the ball, and talking specific players through the game. 

I've not witnessed that, and don't think Goodwin will ultimately be at Tannadice for long, yet there's no reason, you'd think, for these fans to make this up.

55 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Agree with @Tannadeechee above, nonetheless I've spoken to fans who have sat behind Goodwin at away games, and contrary to the majority view that he's negative and does little during matches to influence players and the game, they insist he is positive, coaxing the team forward, encouraging faster movement on the ball, and talking specific players through the game. 

I've not witnessed that, and don't think Goodwin will ultimately be at Tannadice for long, yet there's no reason, you'd think, for these fans to make this up.

That's something Ronnie Costello on the Dode Fox has mentioned too. If that is the case then that is an even bigger problem in that the players are not carrying out instructions. I have at times watchd Goodwin on the sidelines & have witnessed a few "angry" responses to some player decisions.

The big one that stands out for me is the Morton 2-3 loss at Tannadice. We started the game with all the intensity of a training match (again) and find ourselves 2 down. We up the pace considerably, go extremely positive, direct and purposeful. Get the game back to 2-2 with 2 quick goals. Fans start to think if we keep going like that they are on the ropes could be looking at a 3-2 or 4-2 victory. Team has other ideas, pace slows down, intensity goes and we plod along in exactly the same way we did to lose 2 goals without return and shock of all shocks we lose.

If that is the players and Jim doesn't want to throw them under the bus in interviews then fine, but as said the behind the scenes "talking to" they are getting isn't working.

I'm not going to say it is ALL on Jim, but some of decisions and player loyalty is questionable (like most managers TBF), as is the unfortunate double guessing and I feel "panic" about not getting promotion that is making the players nervous. It is also on the players in that they take 3-5 touches to do something  other teams do in one, they are myopic in refusing to pass to those in space, rather to those with 2 or 3 defenders round them and they do not seem capable of realising and learning that if something works do it again!!

Best not get me started on wingers that won't run into space,pass back and refuse to take on a man, or players in shooting positions constantly abdicating responsibility and passing to someone else before it gets cleared. You could be here all day.

The more I type the less confident I am.

The reason these players are playing at Championship level is due to the factor that they can't follow instructions, they don't have the consistency and they don't have the tactical nous to be playing at higher levels.  

Now, perhaps what makes a successful manager/coach at this level is the ability to realise the above and to keep things very simple for the players to follow, although in turn makes for a very basic looking game and not very entertaining for fans to watch (the other week away to Morton is an example of that)

3 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

2022/2023.in Premiership ave attendance 8625

2023/24 in Championship ave attendance 7934

That's a difference of 691. That isn't bad considering we've lost games against Celtic, Rangers*, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs.

Numbers I’d seen were ~9,100 and ~7,600, both calculated for all home games, but I’d expect your source is better. It seemed to make sense with the one stand closed, thanks.

1 hour ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

The reason these players are playing at Championship level is due to the factor that they can't follow instructions, they don't have the consistency and they don't have the tactical nous to be playing at higher levels.  

Now, perhaps what makes a successful manager/coach at this level is the ability to realise the above and to keep things very simple for the players to follow, although in turn makes for a very basic looking game and not very entertaining for fans to watch (the other week away to Morton is an example of that)

I would dispute the first part to some extent

Declan Gallacher 154 premiership appearances 9 international caps
McMann 185 premiership appearances
Sibbald 109 premiership appearances
Glenn Middleton 74 premiership appearances and 23 U21 caps
Tony Watt 164 premiership, 30 Belgian top league, 15 Bulgarian top league and 1 Scotland cap
Louis Moult 91 premiership, 31 English Championship & 1 English Premier League appearances

Being able to follow instructions is a basic, not so much football but human life skill.  Players in the Lowland League can follow instructions. These players have all had a large number of games at a level far higher than the Championship AND are being paid amounts that compensate them "appropriately". My issue with them is they are not playing to show the abilities they have, nor that they are value for money and the same job could be done by some one else for a lot less. This "they are in the Championship because..." annoys me a lot as everyone else we are playing against is in the Championship too. They managed to attack at speed, convert shots to goals at a greater number than we do, especially in the last couple of months.

My issue is the bloody awful "Chuckle Brothers" me to you football that goes nowhere. Yes football is simple, but if you pass across the back to death all space is closed down. If you want to score more play with pace, get in behind the opposition so they are running facing their own goal.

There is no correct way to play football, parking the bus, counter attacking, fast blitz attacking, long ball to a giant glaikit run through a brick wall centre forward, long ball into space etc. They are all valid, but mix it up. Do one thing all the time is predictable and easy to defend against. To spend your whole time worrying about what the opposition will do rather than what you can do is detrimental to winning mentality.

With the budget we have and To some extent the players we do have we have shown at times this season the league should be over. The fact it isn't is down to Rovers keeping going and, to me, poor tactics, line ups and players not having the mentality of "winners" or arrogance of thinking it will happen and not making it happen during matches or a mixture of both.

Edited by Tannadeechee

4 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Name a striker with the physique and body strength of a 12 year old schoolgirl?

Genuinely, my 12, soon to be 13 year old lassy has a better touch and shot than him.

I think the only two qualities he has on her is stamina and about an inch taller.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Groundstaff jumping overboard now, before the ship goes down.

Dearie me.

Captain birdseye hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Thank you.

Four games this season postponed. Is he going to look after a football pitch or a tattie field? 

Tinpot stadium.