Dundee United 23/24

On 21/04/2024 at 13:28, SGMilne said:

I think there's very little difference between a balanced Premiership squad from 4th down compared to what we've got as Championship winners.

Speaking as someone who has experienced this recently with their own club I can say there is a huge gap between those final positions. 

14 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Speaking as someone who has experienced this recently with their own club I can say there is a huge gap between those final positions. 

Not sure that makes you a particular authority on the topic, we also finished fourth two years ago.

3 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

BBC Gossip page saying Wotherspoon wants to stay. Fine with me. He's certainly too good for the Championship

Not for me. He's clearly still a good player but not good enough to justify keeping a guy who is constantly injured. 

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Depends on which year and which clubs, perhaps. There were a few freak seasons where Hearts, Hibernian and the new Rangers were probably better performing entities on the park than clubs in the top half of the Premiership. 

And this season a few clubs with decent financial advantages over others have underachieved. 

Something that never can be proven anyway.

The Premiership is terrible, Dundee in the top six being exhibit A. Literally just need some competent, reliable 7/10 performers in a few key areas to be well clear of the relegation places. 

28 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

The Premiership is terrible, Dundee in the top six being exhibit A. Literally just need some competent, reliable 7/10 performers in a few key areas to be well clear of the relegation places. 

Plus a manager who knows how to manage.

If we'd signed Wotherspoon up on a longer deal initially then I'd be content with having him in the squad for next season. There were games that you could see what he had to offer as he was settling in. However, he's just not had a big enough impact, largely due to injury, to justify offering him an extension. If we release him I expect it'll be Championship clubs that will be competing to sign him up, not another Premiership team.

54 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Plus a manager who knows how to manage.

Yeah. There is that too. Dundee, in very un-Dundee like fashion, made a very sensible appointment last year. 

Edited by Gibby82

55 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Yeah. There is that too. Dundee, in very un-Dundee like fashion, made a very sensible appointment last year. 

In many ways, Dundee are the blueprint for what we would want to do next season. A sensible managerial appointment and a huge turnover in playing staff. Most of their signings have done well, and as a result they get top 6. Gits

10 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Not sure that makes you a particular authority on the topic, we also finished fourth two years ago.

I’m only really going from my own teams struggles last year with much the same squad as what won us the Championship.

I suppose United fans have got more experience of the Championship than I do so maybe it is possible.

Did Utd go Championship - 4th - 12th - Championship? I thought there was another premiership year in between.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m only really going from my own teams struggles last year with much the same squad as what won us the Championship.

I suppose United fans have got more experience of the Championship than I do so maybe it is possible.

Did Utd go Championship - 4th - 12th - Championship? I thought there was another premiership year in between.

Championship - 9th - 4th - 12th - Championship

You've unfortunately reminded me of Mellonball there.

12 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

In many ways, Dundee are the blueprint for what we would want to do next season. A sensible managerial appointment and a huge turnover in playing staff. Most of their signings have done well, and as a result they get top 6. Gits

We’ll need to stop spending so much on the pitch maintenance

50 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Looks like a good appointment on the face of it. In fairness, our recruitment in the last 12 months has been decent.

28 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Looks like a good appointment on the face of it. In fairness, our recruitment in the last 12 months has been decent.

It’s just over a year since fat Tony left.  These two things couldn’t possibly be related, could they?

6 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

Are fans of other clubs still perplexed at the timing our season tickets went on sale? 

Not complaining, it’s the same price as I paid for the Championship this year.