Clyde Season 23/24

7 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

My first memory is Bomber Brown playing Pat Clarke (arguably the best striker in the Championship at the time) at left wing back!!

That was the beginning of the end for us under his tenure.

You mean Bummer Brown, I assume?

4 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I do feel bad for the likes of Duncan, Malcolm, Mulvanny, McCulloch, Hendji etc and all the baffling signings. They just get absolutely shown up at this level. There’s no way they could possibly have shown enough in training/friendlies to justify a professional gig. You get the feeling these boys have just been thrown to the lions to prove some kind of point, whatever it may be.

Hate to say this but I agree with you chairman 

5 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Josh McCullochs performance against Brechin is possibly the single worst individual performance I’ve ever seen. Looked like he’d never kicked a ball in his life.

7 out the door by the 5th January, incredible stuff. 

That game sometimes pops into my head. Absolutely remarkable how bad he was. 

13 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Josh McCullochs performance against Brechin is possibly the single worst individual performance I’ve ever seen. Looked like he’d never kicked a ball in his life.

7 out the door by the 5th January, incredible stuff. 

I also remember the Brechin game and genuinely felt very sorry for Mcculloch. He isnt yet at the level required, but the level of abuse directed at him in that game couldn't have helped his confidence and he seemed to get worse on the back of it as the game went on. I remember saying leaving the game that I didn't think he'd recover. 

I didn't think there was ever a lack of effort, so good luck to him in the lowland league.

On 03/01/2024 at 11:16, Walter said:

Mitchell is still a perfectly decent championship standard keeper so would be an excellent signing if you get him. 

Thistle signed another keeper today and Mitchell posted missing. 2+2=? 

1 minute ago, Chris reilly said:

Unfortunately Mitchell is out with a back injury. Sounds like he could be out for a while.

That’s exactly what a team trying to hide a wee fallout would say!

McCall has made a difference with moving on some of the deadwood and bringing in a couple of decent journeymen but I don’t think we factored in that Elgin would also do the same. Strap in guys it’s going to be a bumpy ride all the way to the lowland league.

3 hours ago, Glorious Purpose said:

It's almost like you want us to go down.   Strange individual.  

Sometimes in life you need to accept things for what they are and I’m very comfortable with everything that’s going on. I predicted 2 years ago we would be in this position and I told everyone and tell me what is strange about that. It’s not me who put us here it was Gordon Thomson. Have you anything constructive to say or do you believe like Berwick rangers Albion rovers east Stirling and Cowdenbeath that we are to good to go down. I will accept an apology from you and it takes a big man to apologise.

The obsession with Elgin as our only potential saviour is mad. Anyone all the way up to Bonnyrigg could be dragged into things yet. There's a long way to go and complacency is what kills in this league. Ourselves and Elgin are probably the only two sides in 'danger' who are doing something about it.

I had similar conversation 3 / 4 weeks ago about this. I agree that Elgin aren’t the main target to catch, obviously we need to catch someone to survive, but I think there are others who we need to put pressure on. It’s often the case at this level where things change very quickly after January. Loans returning in particular can cause huge impact to a club unable to replace like for like for example. It’s also often the case that at least one team goes into free fall for no apparent reason. Circa us under Barry!

Hopefully the promised new players due to arrive allows us to build on what was a hugely encouraging performance on Saturday. Pity the gifted goals took the shine off a little. 3-0 would have been a decent statement to send that perhaps we are after some of the teams close to us. 

On the footballing side, Saturday is encouraging and goes to show what having guys who have been about this level and can still get about the park gets you. Guys like Forbes and P Grant aren’t good enough anymore and shouldn’t have been here in the first place. A few more of that level of signing in the correct areas of the park and there is no reason we can’t get off the bottom spot. Stranraer have 7 more points than us and have scored 1 more goal and conceded the same amount as us. Elgin have a worse goal difference than us. Forfar struggle to score but are better at the back than us. 

Its fine margins down at the bottom end with a lot of football to play, obviously come end of Jan we will have a better picture but it’s 5 points with half a season to make it up. We have the best manager in the division and a board looking to back him. It’s not over yet.

Edited by Ocelot1877

Whyte not playing centre half is one of many missed opportunities. 

Hopefully his knee injury isn't that bad; was it ever reported what it was?