Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Is Ian Murray not further up the food chain for the next bigger job,   consistent performer...

Not for me, McCabe's achieved far more in 2 seasons than Murray. You could argue that the club has transitioned from part time/hybrid to virtually full time which has aided McCabe.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Nobody has considered down south an option. It won't only be Scottish clubs keeping an eye on McCabe.

Absolutely and the financial benefits are massive. Football finance analyst, Kieran Maguire, had an article last week revealing that the average wage in League 1 in England was £3600 per week therefore it wouldn't be a surprise for him to head South.

9 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Not for me, McCabe's achieved far more in 2 seasons than Murray. You could argue that the club has transitioned from part time/hybrid to virtually full time which has aided McCabe.

Absolutely and the financial benefits are massive. Football finance analyst, Kieran Maguire, had an article last week revealing that the average wage in League 1 in England was £3600 per week therefore it wouldn't be a surprise for him to head South.

Play offs great achievement, promotion and he is gone for sure,

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Nobody has considered down south an option. It won't only be Scottish clubs keeping an eye on McCabe.

There was somebody on Twitter quoting him as a 'leftfield' shout for the Gillingham job. 

33 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Although he's pretty much got free reign at Airdrie and can still play, that money would be considerably hard to turn down. I doubt he'll even be on 4 figures a week at us. 

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Is Ian Murray not further up the food chain for the next bigger job,   consistent performer...

Ian Murray has done more for Airdrie this season than he did in three years with us, so on that basis… yes.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

40 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Although he's pretty much got free reign at Airdrie and can still play, that money would be considerably hard to turn down. I doubt he'll even be on 4 figures a week at us. 

Interesting few weeks ahead. Play offs, Manager/Assistant Manager future, free transfers, new signings - then it it starts all over again!

I can’t see McCabe going this season unless there’s a ridiculous offer on the table. He has a young family and made it clear that he didn’t want to move too much for that very reason. 

He’s young but so was Kevin Thompson who hasn’t had a sniff anywhere else. It can all change pretty quickly if you move too soon. 

12 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I can’t see McCabe going this season unless there’s a ridiculous offer on the table. He has a young family and made it clear that he didn’t want to move too much for that very reason. 

He’s young but so was Kevin Thompson who hasn’t had a sniff anywhere else. It can all change pretty quickly if you move too soon. 

or if your stock goes down

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

He's just signed a three year deal before Christmas. 

No matter how much deflection is done, McCabe will be the most in demand manager in the league. The only saving grace is that it really comes down to whether he wants to give up the playing side of things. 

At some point though, a club like St Johnstone will wade in and offer him an opportunity. Football is a very fickle business but there's no reason McCabe can't put himself into a position like Alex Neil where he ends up down south earning big money.

12 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

He's just signed a three year deal before Christmas. 

No matter how much deflection is done, McCabe will be the most in demand manager in the league. The only saving grace is that it really comes down to whether he wants to give up the playing side of things. 

At some point though, a club like St Johnstone will wade in and offer him an opportunity. Football is a very fickle business but there's no reason McCabe can't put himself into a position like Alex Neil where he ends up down south earning big money.

I think the way McCabe wants to play might put some clubs off as they would need make massive changes to their hoofball squads

18 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

which part isnt true like ?   all 3 clubs are a big step up in terms of support and budget

Dundee United yes. Dunfermline and Falkirk will have bigger budgets but, at the moment, would think they are sidewards steps.

Most Airdrie fans are not stupid. They are just enjoying this season and the manager. He will absolutely leave at some point. Hopefully not to someone like St Johnstone. It’s a tough one as if he makes the wrong move then could end up taking a step back. If he stays and has a shot season next season then might also look bad for him. 

He comes across as very reasoned so I would think he will make the right decision.

3 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

I think the way McCabe wants to play might put some clubs off as they would need make massive changes to their hoofball squads

Could you go and gush over McCabe on your own thread?

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

My impression of Thomson was that he moved on too soon before he'd actually shown enough to be an attractive option for a club. Walking League 2 with a huge budget doesn't really show much managerial ability, and even if it does, most clubs are in the market for someone who can get a group of players playing above their level, which he wasn't really able to show as most of his team were playing below the level they should have been at. Whether it's the case or not, from the outside it just looks like he enjoyed being a flat track bully in League 2 and then bailed when he realised they'd be struggling in League 1.

There's definitely a middle ground for young managers between jumping too early and protecting a reputation that you haven't even built yet like Thomson, and staying too long and undoing your good work. Unfortunately that middle ground for McCabe is in the next 12 months, but I think most Airdrie fans are fully aware of that.

For me the interesting bit isn't so much McCabe, but Fordyce. I think McCabe might hang up the boots this summer regardless so I don't think that's a hurdle to him getting a job. But Fordyce could easily play another couple of years at this level and probably more in leagues below, does he give that up to be an Assistant Manager somewhere? I'm not sure.

56 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

My impression of Thomson was that he moved on too soon before he'd actually shown enough to be an attractive option for a club. Walking League 2 with a huge budget doesn't really show much managerial ability, and even if it does, most clubs are in the market for someone who can get a group of players playing above their level, which he wasn't really able to show as most of his team were playing below the level they should have been at. Whether it's the case or not, from the outside it just looks like he enjoyed being a flat track bully in League 2 and then bailed when he realised they'd be struggling in League 1.

There's definitely a middle ground for young managers between jumping too early and protecting a reputation that you haven't even built yet like Thomson, and staying too long and undoing your good work. Unfortunately that middle ground for McCabe is in the next 12 months, but I think most Airdrie fans are fully aware of that.

For me the interesting bit isn't so much McCabe, but Fordyce. I think McCabe might hang up the boots this summer regardless so I don't think that's a hurdle to him getting a job. But Fordyce could easily play another couple of years at this level and probably more in leagues below, does he give that up to be an Assistant Manager somewhere? I'm not sure.

Good interesting points,  personally I don't see McCabe going anywhere yet,   next seasons Championship looks even more brutal than this,  with a lot of 'bigger clubs' currently underachieving,  Dunfermline,  Falkirk etc,    who knows how next season goes or if our recruitment goes to plan this off season,   IMO Rhys hasn't got another 'bad November ' in him,   if that's the case I could see him fall on his sword,  to keep his reputation intact,  Rhys has to keep moving forward with Airdrie or without,  can we with our limited revenue keep up or have we peaked,  look at clubs in previous seasons in our league. Arbroath, QP , they got one 'shot at glory' ,   our story is still not written this season,  can we go one step further .....  Time will tell very soon ..

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Dundee United yes. Dunfermline and Falkirk will have bigger budgets but, at the moment, would think they are sidewards steps.

Most Airdrie fans are not stupid. They are just enjoying this season and the manager. He will absolutely leave at some point. Hopefully not to someone like St Johnstone. It’s a tough one as if he makes the wrong move then could end up taking a step back. If he stays and has a shot season next season then might also look bad for him. 

He comes across as very reasoned so I would think he will make the right decision.

McCabe has proved he doesn't need a big budget to make a good team ,some of the big money players just can't play as a team it's all about themselves ,

15 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

I think a great time to announce a new contract for Rhys and Dycey would be this time next week, right before the playoffs.  Maybe even Saturday after QP.  Get the team fired up for the Thistle game.  I have to think that if that doesn’t happen, and we don’t achieve promotion through the playoffs, he’ll be picked up by a bigger club in the summer.  Him leaving later in the year when the inevitable bottom of the Premiership firings happen would be ok with me, particularly if we get good compensation.  Inevitably he’ll leave within the next 12 months unless the promotion happens….  It will be an interesting few weeks coming up 

Good point there, could be similar circumstances to Ian Murray in that he didn't achieve promotion with us but because he had done such a good job he was rewarded with a move.

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes though I can see him leaving before the year ends (unless we remain in the league but collapse in the Autumn, struggling along...in which case his stock reduces and he stays with us! 😩). 

24 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

If Murray got Rovers promoted,  it's a more impressive feat than what Mccabe has done.  Same can be said vice versa, of course.  

All depends. If neither Raith or airdrie get promoted then I’d say McCabe has had a better season than Murray. 

26 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

If Murray got Rovers promoted,  it's a more impressive feat than what Mccabe has done.  Same can be said vice versa, of course.  

Rhys is so positive and has so much belief in his squad that he would probably say that for them to achieve what they have done this season (4th in league, cup win, last 16 of the League and Scottish Cup) should be no surprise. 

He must have raised a few eyebrows when he said we could win the league, yet reversing the Ayr results would have put us in the title mix. 

From where we were and where we are now, with the resources we have, has been exceptional.