Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

25 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

what could happen thou, Murray to Hibs McCabe to Raith ?

Right you enough FFS,      our fanbase have got no finger nails left as it is, without making up permutations,  the one I heard today was Rhys to Livi,  Martindale going upstairs, and Rhys and chipper to take on the world,  no issues with coaching badges with them already dripping off Martindale and chipper...

Airdrie in return will appoint ,'housewives' favourite Bryan Prunty who also doesn't have any badges....

Onwards and upwards

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Right you enough FFS,      our fanbase have got no finger nails left as it is, without making up permutations,  the one I heard today was Rhys to Livi,  Martindale going upstairs, and Rhys and chipper to take on the world,  no issues with coaching badges with them already dripping off Martindale and chipper...

Airdrie in return will appoint ,'housewives' favourite Bryan Prunty who also doesn't have any badges....

Onwards and upwards

livi not a bigger club than Airdrie surely

4 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

livi not a bigger club than Airdrie surely

Well they have been in the Premier for years,  ,  I would say yes they are bigger but on the slide ...

Why might McCabe to Hibs make sense? For Hibs he’s probably a cheaper option than most, and it’s clear they trust him to coach their players since they were so keen to send three players to us on loan. They’d also be getting a young and ambitious manager that favours a positive style of play which helps with getting the fans behind him (if they get an experienced hoofball merchant the fans would turn as soon as results did). He’s also got experience managing us which sets him apart from failed attempts to go for a really young manager in the SPFL (Maloney at Hibs and Cathro at Hearts who had only been coaches/assistants before those jobs). For McCabe he’d be stepping up a division, getting a bigger budget, a bigger wage, and advancing his career. Of course it makes sense. But McCabe must know it takes time to get his team playing the way he wants. We had some horrendous results in the first half of the 22/23 season. You can’t do that at a club that’s sacked four managers in three and a half years. McCabe will leave at some point and I genuinely believe he could go very far in management, but he’s very secure at Airdrie and has a squad he’s coached in the way he wants to play. If Hibs were to come calling it’s not like it would be his one chance to step up, he’ll get plenty of offers over time and he’s still only 31. Personally I can see him staying with us for another season or two then moving to the English Championship or something.

I'm sure Hibs are very aware of McCabe but I can't see them going for him just now. Hibs fans seem pretty unhappy, can you imagine the reaction (particularly from the yer da types) if after several failed appointments in a row they go for a 31 year old who has never managed above the Scottish Championship? I think they'll either go for a reliable appointment (McInnes, Robinson etc.) or a big name to spend the Bournemouth millions. 

Dundee United are the Scottish team I worry about with McCabe. I could easily see Goodwin being punted in November and them turning to McCabe. You do have to take these opportunities when they come along (if they feel right) or risk ending up missing your chance, Billy Reid turning down the Swansea job only for things to end up going a bit stale at Hamilton a prime example (though his career worked out ok in the end!). I think England could be McCabe's next move too. Obviously he played down there for a few years so he'll know a few people and I could easily see an ambitious League One team coming in for him. 

Looking at some of the early contenders for the Hibs job, it’s unlikely Rhys will be in with a chance of making that move.  His name will likely come up when a vacancy appears in the top half of the Championship/bottom half of Premiership.   Realistically, this one will attract big names and the Hibs board will want someone well established to take over.  Rhys is still an unknown and a gamble at that level.   Not panicking on this one, there will be other positions opening up where he will be a much more likely candidate but hoping we get another few months or a season from Rhys before he moves on.   I’m just a little worried that we haven’t announced a new contract for him - would seem logical before discussing player contracts etc 

2 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Looking at some of the early contenders for the Hibs job, it’s unlikely Rhys will be in with a chance of making that move.  His name will likely come up when a vacancy appears in the top half of the Championship/bottom half of Premiership.   Realistically, this one will attract big names and the Hibs board will want someone well established to take over.  Rhys is still an unknown and a gamble at that level.   Not panicking on this one, there will be other positions opening up where he will be a much more likely candidate but hoping we get another few months or a season from Rhys before he moves on.   I’m just a little worried that we haven’t announced a new contract for him - would seem logical before discussing player contracts etc 

whos going to get sacked?    St Johnston and Ross co maybe ? inverness >? wouldn't say any of them all that attractive for him

12 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I'm sure Hibs are very aware of McCabe but I can't see them going for him just now. Hibs fans seem pretty unhappy, can you imagine the reaction (particularly from the yer da types) if after several failed appointments in a row they go for a 31 year old who has never managed above the Scottish Championship? I think they'll either go for a reliable appointment (McInnes, Robinson etc.) or a big name to spend the Bournemouth millions. 

Dundee United are the Scottish team I worry about with McCabe. I could easily see Goodwin being punted in November and them turning to McCabe. You do have to take these opportunities when they come along (if they feel right) or risk ending up missing your chance, Billy Reid turning down the Swansea job only for things to end up going a bit stale at Hamilton a prime example (though his career worked out ok in the end!). I think England could be McCabe's next move too. Obviously he played down there for a few years so he'll know a few people and I could easily see an ambitious League One team coming in for him. 

your getting me horny, stop it

For me

POTY - Telfer

YPOTY - Hancock

Goal of the season - Gallacher vs. Raith.  There were some pretty excellent ones to choose from, but I think that (or maybe Gabby vs. Dundee United) is the best example of a goal coming from the way we've tried to play.  It's McCabeball at its best.

POTY - Charlie Telfer

YPOTY - Kanayo Megwa

Goal of the Season - Adam Frizzell vs Raith Rovers (Goal J). The build up play was superb and the finish was tremendous.

Can't argue against either Fordyce or Hancock winning POTY and YPOTY, or a few of the goal of the season contenders.

It's a tough, tough league and any positive results are a result of pretty much the whole team putting in a good performance.  There's very little coasting, or games where just one or two players can carry the team.  Just about every game we've won there could have been four or five reasonable shouts for MOTM and that's even more true across the whole season.  An excellent team effort, and all them, including some who have come in for some merited criticism at times (I'm thinking of O'Connor in particular), made valuable contributions at times and can hold their heads up high.

POTY...TELFER

YPOTY....  HANCOCK

Goal of Season...  Plenty to choose from, a player I criticise a lot,  but Liam McStravick in the Cup final...  We needed that goal and it ignited the whole support.