Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

We actually played quite well today but simply no team at any level can give goals away like we did and expect anything.

Ballantyne will need a few games to get back up to speed and Donnell showed up well but ditto. More importantly lets hope Fordyce is back soon as he is sorely missed!

I mentioned during the week that we needed a forward with a bit of guile, Jamie Murphy's set up for the 2nd goal was a good example of what I meant.

We had a reserve game.on midweek where we got our usual riding 7 - 1 from Queens Park,  is this not the type of fixture to get players extra time in the legs,  Ballantyne, McGill could have done with a tune up, Gall as well but not sure due to PT status.    We are cannon fodder to most teams in that league, which is basically irrelevant, but we don't seem to maximise it for additional game time..  

That's 3 times we have seen Donnell play is he any good ?,  jury must still be out, he certainly has no pace and a severe lack of awareness of his defensive duties.   Lyall looks a class act though  and we surely must.play him...

9 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye would be good if manager could strengthen upfront,our minus 4 goal difference is worrying,doing great though before I get jumped on ,

We have one potential loanee only to come in, 2 weeks left of the final window of the season,  what do we do....

Apparently we have asked Hibs about Megwa again and been knocked back, even although the lad wasn't even on the Hibs 18 today..  do we keep knocking on that door till it opens,   or have we enough full back options. And we could.maybe explore the option of a potential centre back that could give us a hand on basic defending skills in what os bound to be a fraught end to the season..

37 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We had a reserve game.on midweek where we got our usual riding 7 - 1 from Queens Park,  is this not the type of fixture to get players extra time in the legs,  Ballantyne, McGill could have done with a tune up, Gall as well but not sure due to PT status.    We are cannon fodder to most teams in that league, which is basically irrelevant, but we don't seem to maximise it for additional game time..  

Yeah that's how I presumed we'd use the reserve team, but seemingly not. ATS has hardly played for months so not sure how ready he'd be to play when needed (like today!), but he doesn't play for the reserves, Ballantyne, McGill and Gallagher all coming back from injuries but not featured. Even early on in the season when Todorov was only getting 10 mins as a substitute he wasn't playing for them (from what I remember).

I've said before I couldn't care less about the reserve results, but if it's just a team full of fringe players who never play for the first team then I'm not sure what the point is. It seems more like a youth team than a reserve team.

McCabe is probably worried about these guys picking up more injuries playing reserves so would rather get them back to fitness by gradually getting them back into the first team where the risk is at least worth something in terms of maybe getting us results, but that's really not an optimal solution. I know first team games will obviously be much quicker and higher intensity, but they shouldn't really be used to get players up to a basic level of fitness which seems to be the case with a few of them.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

That's 3 times we have seen Donnell play is he any good ?,  jury must still be out, he certainly has no pace and a severe lack of awareness of his defensive duties.   Lyall looks a class act though  and we surely must.play him...

Aye , Lyall was development player of the year at Rangers,must have something  about him,

Mental heads gone stuff in the Facebook group. A shiter of a performance in many ways there’s no doubt about that but don’t know how everyone can be so reactionary.

We have one of the best home records in the league and only Dundee united have conceded less than us.

Just a blip, let’s chill out eh

Edited by Diamonds02

10 hours ago, Passionate said:

We have one potential loanee only to come in, 2 weeks left of the final window of the season,  what do we do....

Apparently we have asked Hibs about Megwa again and been knocked back, even although the lad wasn't even on the Hibs 18 today..  do we keep knocking on that door till it opens,   or have we enough full back options. And we could.maybe explore the option of a potential centre back that could give us a hand on basic defending skills in what os bound to be a fraught end to the season..

If we have 1 loan space left I would be going all out to get someone who can put the ball in the net for the last 3 months. Easier said than done I know but we must have a few quid spare from the cup runs. Someone scoring 5-8 goals would be the difference between getting dragged into a relegation scrap and comfortably finishing the season anywhere 8th and above.

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

If we could guarantee that Ballantyne & Hancock remain fit for the rest of the season then the preference would be a centre back however how hard it is to turn Megwa down. However, if Fordyce is out, even for another 2 or 3 games then a centre back would be an absolute necessity!

It seems pretty much a universal opinion since pre season about our need for a centre back.

2 hours ago, ElDiamondo said:

If we have 1 loan space left I would be going all out to get someone who can put the ball in the net for the last 3 months. Easier said than done I know but we must have a few quid spare from the cup runs. Someone scoring 5-8 goals would be the difference between getting dragged into a relegation scrap and comfortably finishing the season anywhere 8th and above.

I don’t think there’s a limit to how many loan players we have in the squad. We have four at the moment and if Wikipedia is right Dunfermline have six and Inverness have eight. Obviously the limit is whatever we can afford but I’d still be jumping at any good players we can get and if Megwa’s available he’s worth getting. I would say though that the priority should probably be a centre back (I think Hancock was maybe planned to be a centre back for us but has done so well at left back he has to stay there) and a striker.

I think the main points that we've learned from the game are that;

Aaron Lyall needs to start, I thought he was excellent when he came on.

McCabe is good at centre back but only when Dycey is playing next to him.

Watson is far better as a right back and is a complete bombscare at centre back.

Lewis McGregor is a better player playing his new role in a front two.

If Dycey is out for a longer period of time I'd probably look to switching Hancock to centre half to play along side McCabe, I don't think Watson and McCabe work playing there together. I'd put Ballantyne at left back and Watson at right back.

I agree with most of the posts above, I don't think we played badly at all but you can't be gifting teams 3 goals, not just at this level but at any level.

On a positive note there's only one more game left vs Ayr and only one more binfire of a match thread left this season.

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I don’t think there’s a limit to how many loan players we have in the squad. We have four at the moment and if Wikipedia is right Dunfermline have six and Inverness have eight. Obviously the limit is whatever we can afford but I’d still be jumping at any good players we can get and if Megwa’s available he’s worth getting. I would say though that the priority should probably be a centre back (I think Hancock was maybe planned to be a centre back for us but has done so well at left back he has to stay there) and a striker.

There's a limit of 5 domestic loans. International loans don't count to your quota but can't be made outside the regular transfer window which closed at the beginning of February.

19 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Watson is far better as a right back and is a complete bombscare at centre back.

If Dycey is out for a longer period of time I'd probably look to switching Hancock to centre half to play along side McCabe, I don't think Watson and McCabe work playing there together. I'd put Ballantyne at left back and Watson at right back.

I agree with most of the posts above, I don't think we played badly at all but you can't be gifting teams 3 goals, not just at this level but at any level.

On a positive note there's only one more game left vs Ayr and only one more binfire of a match thread left this season.

Aye and easy games against Morton and Dundee United  coming up,Fordyce back will Bea big improvement,and mcGregor and any one except Gal and Toddy will be an improvement ,think I would play Lyall,

McGill again showed his composure and experience in the box but McGregor has become our cutting edge up front. Toddy is still a question mark for me. Lyall needs to start and looks like he may chip in with some goals.

Cammy gave the ball away for their first gift then scored to make up for it. Janny caught and robbed for their second gift then scored to make up for it. Unfortunately Rae was in no position to score but the Ref was talking to him and booking him on the edge of the box and should have given him time to get back in his goals before letting them take the free kick. If there were Ayr officials on the park as claimed they should forfeit the game and give us the three points. It's only fair.

26 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

McGill again showed his composure and experience in the box but McGregor has become our cutting edge up front. Toddy is still a question mark for me. Lyall needs to start and looks like he may chip in with some goals.

Cammy gave the ball away for their first gift then scored to make up for it. Janny caught and robbed for their second gift then scored to make up for it. Unfortunately Rae was in no position to score but the Ref was talking to him and booking him on the edge of the box and should have given him time to get back in his goals before letting them take the free kick. If there were Ayr officials on the park as claimed they should forfeit the game and give us the three points. It's only fair.

Get it up you

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Lyall definitely has ability but I'm not sure of his best position. It appears that he would best in Frizz's role.

Dycey's fitness needs evaluated quickly as we are so reliant on him.

I get the point about moving Hancock into central defence but what a loss that would be the left back role. Our best player by a mile at this time.

Concur about Ayr threads!

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Lyall definitely has ability but I'm not sure of his best position. It appears that he would best in Frizz's role.

Dycey's fitness needs evaluated quickly as we are so reliant on him.

I get the point about moving Hancock into central defence but what a loss that would be the left back role. Our best player by a mile at this time.

Concur about Ayr threads!

Think the manager hinted that Fordyce would have a week off as to limit any further damage ,hope I read him right anyway , we certainly need him ,

See there’s a lot of talk on the fb page about Megwa coming back, also see comments on P&B about us approaching Hibs.  Does anyone know if we really have a shout at bringing him in?  With Hibs dropping him out of their squad it seems the final weeks of the campaign would be better spent with us playing competitive football and maybe a trophy for him too. Just wondered if anybody knew more 

2 hours ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Life isn’t fair. That’s why you’re an Airdrie fan.