US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

The best case scenario for the Republicans is Kamala Harris (or any Democratic female) being the Democratic candidate.

There is absolutely no chance that Americans are going to vote for a woman.

It's a paranoid, troglodytic and macho nation.

They'll think a female president will hand over the keys to the country whilst being in that time of the month.

An American born Mary Poppins could run against Trump and he'd still win. Trump lost to a geriatric Bidin. That says it all.

I’m thinking Harris might be post menopausal mate 😂

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

There is literally no way a non-white, non-male beats Trump.

Obama was very much an anomaly that the Right have not forgiven.

Hillary beat Trump by 3 million votes and the election fell on a knife-edge in three states, all of which were within 0.7%. She was far from an ideal candidate and that was a poor campaign, especially in Michigan. She was a whisker from becoming President.

Since that election well over 10% of the electorate have died and been more than replaced by younger voters.

It may be harder for a woman to beat Trump, but the suggestion "there is literally no way a... non-male beats Trump" is a massive overstatement. 

36 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Dude's considerably more senile than Biden, only famous because of his surname and entirely devoid of self-awareness.

9 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

What happens if the Democrats want to select a candidate besides Harris? Do the registered party members get to vote on it again?

My friend's just telling me the Dems cannot use the electoral funds unless Harris stands, as that money was given for the Biden/Harris nomination. Does anybody know the answer to this?

Legally, without fancy footwork and some other side steps, Harris IS the candidate that gets the access to the Biden/Harris war chest. The whole thing cannot be accessed by anyone else, at this point.

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He's backing Harris now.

I hope she's electable in that mad place.

She is, but the attacks from the Reich-wing will be eye-bleeding.

7 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I keep seeing a Kamala/FBI Petey ticket getting floated, which would
make sense. Buttigieg is consistently the most impressive of the Cabinet in front of camera - boy does his homework and he doesn’t take pish. It could also be positioned very much as ‘old America’ - geriatric white (under all the slap) plutocrat vs ‘new America’. Might work. 

Pete’s the best person for the job, but being gay would be more of an issue than Harris being a woman (wait for the trans rumours to start getting pub).

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Accomplished stateswoman, universally likeable, Harvard Law Graduate and Law Professor. Aye shes not been a senator, but everything about the Obama’s was that it was an equal team etc. nah i think shes a far better prospective president than a failed DA and a convicted felon. 

Nah, she’s got more issues, and despite good polling, lots of historical attacks that would still work.

7 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Can't see Harris winning but wonder if the other big Democrats might want to wait for a shot at 2028. 

Harris is the easy choice, but will struggle versus Trump (but can win, despite your view). On the flip side, if she loses, the Democratic Party will be a very big fovourite for 2028 (if Trump then doesn’t declare martial law and refuse to leave). They would have a huge field of young and exciting candidates versus a MAGA-infected GOP. It would result in an absolute Republican bloodbath IF the 2028 election actually occurred.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t know him.  A quick Google suggests he would tick a lot of the boxes.  Seems popular across the political divide in a swing state.

Harris has to go for someone who has all the attributes and has voter appeal rather than a ‘buddy’.

Pete B. would be an outstanding VP but a dangerous pick. Might go either way, lots of woke attacks and some woke appeal.

6 hours ago, The Master said:

Buttigieg would wipe the floor with Trump in the debates.

Unfortunately, there’s very little chance America will elect a gay president. 

Yep, that’s the issue right now with him for even VP.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's all about TV ratings, some kind of speedy primary and an open convention would suck the oxygen right out of Trump, whoever wins. If it is Kamala Harris then she'd get much more chance to get her message out that way than a coronation. Everyone has already decided if they want or don't want Trump, it's about getting the don'ts to turn out and vote.

EXACTLY

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Still young enough that if he loses we'll all be back here in 2028.

Nope, he’d be slightly older than Biden now, leaving all his attacks on Biden available to hammer him.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Nope, he’d be slightly older than Biden now, leaving all his attacks on Biden available to hammer him.

I don't think Trump's base would care. I wouldn't be that surprised to see a defeated Trump run again in 2028. Could be trickier to get through the primaries I suppose, but it's his party now.

As for Harris (assuming it is her) I agree with you that she can beat Trump. The reason Biden was likely to lose is that people weren't enthused by him, not that voters had turned to Trump. Harris would surely enthuse more women, African Americans, Asian Americans to get out and vote. Whether it's enough I don't know, but I wouldn't write her off.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I don't think Trump's base would care. I wouldn't be that surprised to see a defeated Trump run again in 2028. Could be trickier to get through the primaries I suppose, but it's his party now.

As for Harris (assuming it is her) I agree with you that she can beat Trump. The reason Biden was likely to lose is that people weren't enthused by him, not that voters had turned to Trump. Harris would surely enthuse more women, African Americans, Asian Americans to get out and vote. Whether it's enough I don't know, but I wouldn't write her off.

You’re not wrong about Trump 2028, BUT his base is less than 35% of the electorate. And the age thing will resonate after they drove Biden out.

As I noted, this is a drag on the refreshment of the GOP, as the only young candidates moving forward now are Reich-wing MAGA style, something that appeals to a shrinking percentage of the electorate.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Robert Francis Kennedy Jr. (born January 17, 1954), also known by his initials RFK Jr., is an American politician, environmental lawyer, anti-vaccine activist, and conspiracy theorist. He is the chairman and founder of Children's Health Defense, an anti-vaccine advocacy group that is a leading proponent of COVID-19 vaccine misinformation  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_Jr.

With respect to Biden, I think the Dems were stuck in between a rock and a hard place. I think his senility has been pretty obvious to any objective person for years - Trump was calling him 'Sleepy Joe' during the last election campaign, IIRC. However, by forcing him out now, does it not appear that Biden's detractors were right all along - and either the Dems were unwilling to accept the truth or were lying to the public? 

They definitely have made the best decision to force Biden out. His presidential debate was a car crash and he had almost no chance of winning after that. However, it would have perhaps looked better if he'd resigned due to 'Covid' or simply decided not to run a year ago - he's an octogenarian after all, there would have been no shame in that. But to drop out after the debate, with 3.5 months to go, he's handicapped his party. I would have said he's selfish, but I'm not sure he's been fully responsible for his own decisions.

If the Dems didn't pick Harris now, then what does that say about their attitude to women and people of colour?

'not now Kamala, you'll honestly have a good shot at 2028 we promise'

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You’re not wrong about Trump 2028, BUT his base is less than 35% of the electorate. And the age thing will resonate after they drove Biden out.

As I noted, this is a drag on the refreshment of the GOP, as the only young candidates moving forward now are Reich-wing MAGA style, something that appeals to a shrinking percentage of the electorate.

Yeah, the chances of him winning in 2028 would surely be much reduced,  but I'd still fancy him to win the nomination. Whoever is the Republican candidate in 2028 will need Trump's endorsement (unless he's dead by then) and I can't see him not wanting to run.

19 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

If the Dems didn't pick Harris now, then what does that say about their attitude to women and people of colour?

I agree, although I think if it was a fair procedure and she lost out, then that's politics. If it seemed like a stitch up to get someone else in, it would be a very bad look.

Newsome and Buttigieg both backing her now. I can't see it being anyone else.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Now with Biden out I wonder if Democrat adverts will show their candidate running, jumping and swimming while Trump is just an old guy in a golf cart.

Willie Rennie 2024.

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

What does Harris' gender and race have to do with the task of nominating the most suitable candidate for political office?