US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

29 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Nope, but Biden fully supports the genocide Israel is committing just as Trump would. During his career he has been fully supportive of the crimes committed by Israel as well as the crimes of the wider US empire. 

The point I’m making is that it is disingenuous bullshit to paint Trump as uniquely evil. Any leader of the US empire is an evil person. 

I’m putting you on ignore.  I’m sure it will improve my browsing experience.

16 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hang on a minute.

IMG_1500.jpeg

I had no idea that former President Gerald Ford was on the Reagan security detail.. 

17 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Pretty sure if you look hard enough on YouTube some c**t is predicting something that will eventually come true.

I predict that Dundee will win the Scottish Cup

Signed

Nostrabamus

2 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

And just like that Project 2025 talk is forgotten.

I just looked through it there. That's a genuinely terrifying list of policies, making America a theocratic dictatorship.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I just looked through it there. That's a genuinely terrifying list of policies, making America a theocratic dictatorship.

I’ve only seen the introduction paragraph. Apparently America is in “the grip of the radical left”. That’s as much as I can take in one sitting.

The risk is that Trump's shooting boost and low Dem turnout given apathy for Biden will mean down ballot losses so no Congress to block the mad stuff.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The risk is that Trump's shooting boost and low Dem turnout given apathy for Biden will mean down ballot losses so no Congress to block the mad stuff.

That is the concern.  If they control the House and the Senate (both now chocked to the gunwales with MAGA nut jobs) together with the Presidency and a totally compliant SCOTUS then there is no telling just how bad this will get.

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That is the concern.  If they control the House and the Senate (both now chocked to the gunwales with MAGA nut jobs) together with the Presidency and a totally compliant SCOTUS then there is no telling just how bad this will get.

The Senate filibuster. If they’re stupid enough, they win, change the rules and drop it completely. With 2026 being an election with roughly twice as many Republican as Democratic seats up for choice, they would be risking losing all control if they slip-up. Trump would be reduced to executive orders to do stuff. Also, with 90% of economists predicting a Trump win and implementation of his policies causing renewed inflation, 2026 and 2028 (another slight more R’s than D’s election) could be ugly for R’s.

On a related note, there’s little indication the attempt is moving the dial on Trump’s popularity or chances. There is a small concern circulating in R circles that this event might hurt his chances, as the more religious types may see it as a sign Trump will win anyway, and might be less likely to vote.

I understand that some Americans are claiming that a god saved the Donald.  Two thoughts come to mind.

1) as a potential alternative, my mum used to say "the Devil looks after his own".

2) If a deity did intervene, I would confess that I'm a bit puzzled why the creator of the universe saw fit to arrange/allow/fail to prevent the death of that poor firefighter bloke.

12 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I understand that some Americans are claiming that a god saved the Donald.  Two thoughts come to mind.

1) as a potential alternative, my mum used to say "the Devil looks after his own".

2) If a deity did intervene, I would confess that I'm a bit puzzled why the creator of the universe saw fit to arrange/allow/fail to prevent the death of that poor firefighter bloke.

I remember from Primary School that God communicated by setting light to bushes, it's not surprising he would take a dislike for fire fighters. Trump's orange face probably saved him.