US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Well Minnesota elected a wrestler as governor.

The USA elected a thick, lying, cheating, adulterous grifter as President.

No.  Really, they did.

And they’re maybe about to do it again - with added felonies.

I know it’s all speculation, but is there anything to suggest Harris can beat Trump?  I think she’d be a dreadful candidate.

Democratic consensus solidifies around Harris, should Biden step aside

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/20/politics/democratic-consensus-harris-should-biden-step-aside/index.html

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I know it’s all speculation, but is there anything to suggest Harris can beat Trump?  I think she’d be a dreadful candidate.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/20/politics/democratic-consensus-harris-should-biden-step-aside/index.html

Little obvious in her political acumen or capability, but her gender and ethnicity would be so irresistible to Trump and his misogynist and racist stormtroopers as to be potentially hugely counter-productive.

And at a mere 59 Harris would obviously leave Trump as the old man in the contest.  Batteries and sharks could swing it.

When Biden finally agrees that he’s not running again he will do it like a spoilt child with the minimum of grace and all the factions and ‘power brokers’ in the Democratic Party will start tearing themselves apart.

On 19/07/2024 at 18:34, Granny Danger said:

The USA elected a thick, lying, cheating, adulterous grifter as President.

No.  Really, they did.

And they’re maybe about to do it again - with added felonies.

A few times, actually

IMG_1404.jpeg.8cb3340dfb7e23e2dfd2aebe6ece86b5.jpeg

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

She'd be up against an old convict, a rapist, a defamer. 

She may be dreadful, but the number of anti-Trump votes out there are huge. Biden got the most votes of any US president, ever, in 2020. It wasn't because he was loved, it was because he offered a sane alternative. Now he doesn't.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

She'd be up against an old convict, a rapist, a defamer. 

She may be dreadful, but the number of anti-Trump votes out there are huge. Biden got the most votes of any US president, ever, in 2020. It wasn't because he was loved, it was because he offered a sane alternative. Now he doesn't.

In a sane world any decent rational person would beat Trump.  Sadly we don’t live in a sane world.

On 19/07/2024 at 16:44, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

The Hulk Hogan appearance is hilarious! 🤣  I mean, what sort of person would be influenced by the endorsement of a wrestler from the 1990s?

fitfinlay.jpg.783755b24df6a83cf65a9a559a79305e.jpg

I suspect Fit Finlay is in favour of Irish unification and I saw him in Weston Super Mare once.. does this influence me? Not really. 

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Her record as a DA was pish too. Shes not a winner. 

Everyone's already made their mind up on who they don't want to win, the election depends on turnout. People who don't want the Dems to win have got fired up by Trump's near assassination so will likely vote in big numbers. For the Dems to compete with that they need a proper show biz convention and speedy mini primary leading up to it, with more than just Kamala Harris, even if she wins. Trump would be furious as he'd disappear from TV. If Biden stays  Dem turnout will hand Trump the Whitehouse.

The Dems need to coalesce around one candidate and show a united front. I can't see how that is anyone other than Harris.

Seems to be a lot of 'Harris is useless/a bad candidate' takes on here. I don't really know, can't say I know her prosecutor and/or senator career at all. Getting elected as a woman of colour 20 odd years ago can't have been an easy feat and I remember her doing well in the debates against Pence flour years back.

I reckon she's a more formidable candidate than she's getting credit for. Whether she can beat Trump, I don't know but she'll definitely give the campaign a shot in the arm.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

The Dems need to coalesce around one candidate and show a united front. I can't see how that is anyone other than Harris.

Seems to be a lot of 'Harris is useless/a bad candidate' takes on here. I don't really know, can't say I know her prosecutor and/or senator career at all. Getting elected as a woman of colour 20 odd years ago can't have been an easy feat and I remember her doing well in the debates against Pence flour years back.

I reckon she's a more formidable candidate than she's getting credit for. Whether she can beat Trump, I don't know but she'll definitely give the campaign a shot in the arm.

From what I've seen she has the unpardonable sin of coming off as inauthentic. She's Hillary Clinton with less talent, a machine politician who comes across as phoney. Lots of people perceive Trump to be authentic, that he says what he means and that he talks and behaves in a way that's consistent with what kind of person he is. Of course that's not really true, he's a prolific liar and has fooled people into believing he's a Christian or a conservative. But the perception is that he's authentic, and voters are desperate for that now. 

She's also from California and offers them nothing in the battleground states. She's not even particularly popular among black voters, partly because of her record as a prosecutor. Throughout the past four years Biden has been more popular than her among black voters, which is pretty extraordinary. 

The Governors of Michigan or Pennsylvania might be better options, I don't know enough. All it might take is one electrifying speech or great political moment for someone to stand out from the crowd. But it has to happen right now, because if they don't have a new candidate tied up before the convention, the only way of replacing Biden would be if he has a health crisis. 

I remember Tulsi Gabbard slaughtering Harris in a primary TV debate when they were both 2020 candidates, giving examples of her blocking evidence which would've freed a death row inmate, and keeping prisoners locked up beyond their sentence for cheap prison labour. Harris was barely seen again after that.

Didn't Biden himself suggest she wasn't ready to be president? Strange thing to say about the person you picked as your VP.

15 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I remember Tulsi Gabbard slaughtering Harris in a primary TV debate when they were both 2020 candidates, giving examples of her blocking evidence which would've freed a death row inmate, and keeping prisoners locked up beyond their sentence for cheap prison labour. Harris was barely seen again after that.

Didn't Biden himself suggest she wasn't ready to be president? Strange thing to say about the person you picked as your VP.

Not ready and she's nearly 60, it should be now or never at that age :lol:

26 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Aye but at the same time she also refused to seek the death penalty for a cop killer as DA in San Francisco, although im not in favour of that penalty in any way, her reluctance to seek it there but then as California AG merily sought other death penalties alienated her from a massive section of the voter base in California. Then consider the absolute knick of California, particularly San Fransisco just now with the shops shutting down all over the place because of the weak approach to prosecution etc, part of her legacy, it doesnt make her look like an effective leader.