Early 2023/24 predictions

On 01/07/2023 at 03:41, RossBFaeDundee said:

3/8 edit: Probably my last edit, but quite a big one with the entire middle of the pack shifting (i.e. QP were 4th, Pars were 7th and Ayr were 8th). The points difference between 2nd to 8th (mostly 3rd to 7th imo) will be tighter than a snare drum, should be great entertainment.

1st. Dundee United
2nd. Partick Thistle
3rd. Raith Rovers

4th. Dunfermline Athletic
5th. Greenock Morton
6th. Ayr United
7th. Inverness Caley Thistle
8th. Queen’s Park
9th. Airdrieonians

10th. Arbroath

1. Dundee United

2. Partick Thistle

3. Raith Rovers

4. Dunfermline Athletic

5. Greenock Morton

6. Ayr United

7. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

8. Airdrieonians

9. Queen’s Park

10. Arbroath

Not convinced by Goodwin but a bit like Kilmarnock I fancy Dundee United to win the league by default. Turner, Holt, Docherty and Tiffoney are all big losses for Thistle but I really like the McInroy and Adeloye signings. McMillan and Milne are the best full backs in the league and Graham will still hit double figures, so I fancy them to challenge. Raith have made some very solid signings and I think Murray will improve them this season, while Dunfermline might have a slower start due to injuries to key players but have a solidity that will mean they finish top four.

I think Morton, Inverness and Ayr will challenge for top four but all fall short. Morton look decent again, lost some key players but if Imrie sticks around they'll be fine. Ayr will fall away after losing Akinyemi but they did well in the cup and seem to be slightly less reliant on one player compared to the last couple of seasons. Inverness lose key players every year and that can only go on for so long before they drop off. 

Airdrie are in 8th mostly out of optimism. I think we'll surprise a few teams but need a couple of defenders minimum if we want to avoid any disasters of our own. Queen's Park are the hardest club to predict by far, wouldn’t be hugely surprised if they finish 2nd or 9th. I quite like bits that I’ve seen from then but I think they’ll start slowly with a young team adapting to a new style of play. Arbroath have improved their attack from last season but feels like their time might be up.

On 14/07/2023 at 14:12, Dunning1874 said:

1. Dundee United
2. Queen's Park
3. Inverness Caledonian Thistle
4. Morton
5. Raith
6. Partick
7. Dunfermline
8. Ayr
9. Arbroath
10. Airdrie

If I was doing this now with the recruitment since I'd be moving Partick up significantly and Inverness down significantly, probably Ayr up and Queen's Park down a bit as well, but I'll live with my original prediction.

On 17/07/2023 at 12:31, clashcityrocker said:

You sure about that ?

Have you not been keeping up to speed with Arbroath's summer signings ?

I highly doubt they will be troubling the bottom of the league this season.

Best revise your predictions.

This prediction looking solid, just 45 minutes into the new campaign. 

IMG-20230128-WA0003.jpg.12ec376b1f52d424a598c035ac877a17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2023 at 18:46, ExiledLichtie said:

9.  Queens Park

I don't think they'll finish last, not by a long shot, but the signings they have made and their manager's philosophy fills me with glee.  Arbroath's team of grizzled shitfesting pensioners know exactly what to do against a bunch of naïve academy kids passing the ball between themselves.  If we are on form, we are going to absolutely kick them in.  I think Queens will do well elsewhere, but I'm confident of getting plenty of points against this lot.

Three weeks into the season and this has already aged like milk.

• 1 month later...
On 19/08/2023 at 17:27, Zanetti said:

Three weeks into the season and this has already aged like milk.

Tbf outwith the bit about Arbroath beating you he seems to have the first bit spot on! 

On 02/08/2023 at 16:22, HoBNob said:

Dundee Utd

Partick

Raith

Dunfermline 

Morton

ICT

Ayr

Airdrie

Queens Park

Arbroath

Queens Park are impossible to guess, a gaffer we've never seen, with quite a few young players, it might hit off. I just can't help but think that a manager so obsessed with a philosophy, with such an inexperienced squads spells a bit of disaster, we seen ourselves a couple of seasons back that Hughes and Grant putting possession before substance spelled disaster. 

Think I nailed it. 

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Think I nailed it. 

Quite incredible how accurate that whole statement is becoming. So frustrating as we’re talented enough to compete but the sheer arrogance or stubbornness to move away from the ‘philosophy’ is bonkers and only heading in one direction