Early 2023/24 predictions

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

If only Airdrie fans were as precious as they are in this thread about the racists and Nazis in their fanbase, wearing an Orange Order inspired away kit, and generally being a Currant Buns tribute act. 🤔

If the law of diminishing returns had a pulse it would be this bore.

1. Queen's Park

Seems to be steadily strengthening, year on year. With a bit more consistency, will be favourites for me.

2. Dundee United

On paper easily winning this. But also possibly, enough of a basket case, to f**k it up.

3. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Much the same as last year. Hopefully without as big an injury problem this year though.

4. Greenock Morton

Well organized, if unspectacular. The leagues new Arbroath

5. Raith Rovers

Seems stronger. But still not a playoff side, for me.

6. Dunfermline Athletic

Too reliant on average championship, and inexperienced players to be any higher

7. Airdrieonians

Pretty weak looks squad. But another team I see doing well, from being well organized

8. Patrick Thistle 

lost a lot of good players. And don't seem to have done much to to replace them. Should be worried.

9.Ayr United.

Won't have the goals of last season. Despite finishing near the top, weren't a very good side.

10. Arbroath

They're finished.

10 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

1. Dundee Utd
2. Morton
3. ICT
4. Raith
5. Partick
6. Dunfermline
7. Ayr
8. Airdrie
9. Queen's Park
10. Arbroath

On 15th June you said

1. Morton
2. Dundee Utd
3. Dunfermline
4. ICT
5. Raith
6. Queen's Park
7. Arbroath
8. Partick
9. Ayr
10. Airdrie

So do we all get two picks, a bit like having 2 x 8 from 10's on the football pools or is this just a revised prediction?

1 hour ago, Paisley Ton said:

On 15th June you said

1. Morton
2. Dundee Utd
3. Dunfermline
4. ICT
5. Raith
6. Queen's Park
7. Arbroath
8. Partick
9. Ayr
10. Airdrie

So do we all get two picks, a bit like having 2 x 8 from 10's on the football pools or is this just a revised prediction?

I think any prediction back then was hardly a prediction that can be held in any regard, considering how much squads and situations have changed.

I've revised mine, and I would suggest anyone else who did it then should be able to.

1 hour ago, Chippyminton said:

How so? Please explain what you mean, exactly .......

Arbroath were up in the playoffs and challenging. While bringing in players from lower markets than all the teams around them. 

Morton could do the same this season imo.

6 hours ago, Juanhourjoe said:

Arbroath were up in the playoffs and challenging. While bringing in players from lower markets than all the teams around them. 

Morton could do the same this season imo.

You have spotted our strategy.

Aka two ICT players in last few months.

I wonder if Imrie will last the season?  Although he constantly loses against us, he has turned Morton from a running joke to a solid side, made good signings, improved existing players, all on a shoestring budget while battling financial problems.  He's done an outstanding job.

Surely a bigger club will come in for him?  He's more than earned his shot!  After that, Morton can go back to being a banter team with delusions of grandeur, and all will be right with the world again.

The thing is that managers who do well with a tight budget can often struggle when they go to a club who are spending a lot more. I think Morton fell off a bit last season when he started muddlinh about with the starting eleven and that came from getting extra players in January.

I always saw Imrie being a natural successor for Martindale at Livingston just because they are both in a similar situation in their respective leagues. That’s not a given though as Martindale likely has that job for however long he wants it. 

Edited by D'Jaffo

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

The thing is that managers who do well with a tight budget can often struggle when they go to a club who are spending a lot more. I think Morton fell off a bit last season when he started muddlinh about with the starting eleven and that came from getting extra players in January.

Nope, that is fake news you've swallowed from the weirdo Lewis McGrattan cult in the Morton fanbase.

The real reason why we fell off a bit was that we played six consecutive away matches over December and January, culminating in a 5-0 loss at Celtic Park which also saw Strapp injured for the rest of the season). We took three points (3 draws, two narrow defeats) from the five away league games, then lost our next game after Celtic at home to Arbroath. It was a brutal run of games - partly caused by our groundsman's incompetence - that simply drained confidence in the team at that time.

We then went unbeaten in February taking ten points from twelve so the extra players from January thesis is just demonstrable bollocks, developed because a fan's favourite regen was left on the sidelines. 

Edited by vikingTON

On 15/06/2023 at 13:01, HoBNob said:

Very early prediction but I reckon that none of the 3 promotion playoff sides from last season, will finish in the promotion playoffs this year. 

Dundee Utd

Raith

Morton 

Dunfermline 

Partick

ICT

Queens Park 

Ayr

Arbroath 

Airdrie 

Bullen to be the first manager to be sacked, Imrie to be poached with Morton challenging for promotion. 

I await me looking foolish at the end of the season. 

Dundee Utd

Partick

Raith

Dunfermline 

Morton

ICT

Ayr

Airdrie

Queens Park

Arbroath

Not even three weeks after my original prediction and it's all change. 

Dundee Utd still look good for the title, even if Goodwin fucks it they'll just get someone else, probably Imrie. 

I read Particks statement and thought they were fucked, but the recent signings of Tomi and the future signing of McInroy are very good. They already had a strong squad and with Graham they're guaranteed goals, Doolan also seems like a cracking manager. 

Raith Rovers made some good signings early doors, I'm not massively convinced in there defence or in Murray to really have it in him to get the full potential out of the squad, despite that they've got electric options going forward. 

I'm biased and hopeful so I put Dunfermline fourth, and truthfully I think 3rd to 7th could be in any order, I just hope we're the ones in the playoff. 

I've got Morton fifth, I expect there's more squad options to come in for them in defence, in Imrie they've got the best manager in the league IMO, if he was to get poached I think that could derail them? Hopefully. 

No idea what to make of ICT, they never seem to be in danger, they'll probably have some journeyman who will turn class. Such is the way. 

I'm potentially being harsh to Ayr, I felt like I watched them a bit last season and outwith Dipo they just looked pretty bad. I've read they're playing better football just now but I reckon Bullen will revert to type, McGeady to oust him and it all to go a bit badly. 

Airdrie will surprise a few I feel, they'll score goals but inconsistency will stop them from troubling the promotion playoffs. 

Queens Park are impossible to guess, a gaffer we've never seen, with quite a few young players, it might hit off. I just can't help but think that a manager so obsessed with a philosophy, with such an inexperienced squads spells a bit of disaster, we seen ourselves a couple of seasons back that Hughes and Grant putting possession before substance spelled disaster. 

Arbroath bottom for the reasons outlined before on the thread. 

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Nope, that is fake news you've swallowed from the weirdo Lewis McGrattan cult in the Morton fanbase.

The real reason why we fell off a bit was that we played six consecutive away matches over December and January, culminating in a 5-0 loss at Celtic Park which also saw Strapp injured for the rest of the season). We took three points (3 draws, two narrow defeats) from the five away league games, then lost our next game after Celtic at home to Arbroath. It was a brutal run of games - partly caused by our groundsman's incompetence - that simply drained confidence in the team at that time.

We then went unbeaten in February taking ten points from twelve so the extra players from January thesis is just demonstrable bollocks, developed because a fan's favourite regen was left on the sidelines. 

I was under the impression that the whole Morton fan base was actually a cult but there you go. 

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

I've got Morton fifth, I expect there's more squad options to come in for them in defence, in Imrie they've got the best manager in the league IMO, if he was to get poached I think that could derail them? Hopefully. 

I think an Imrie departure mid-season would make the track a bit bumpy, but we'd stay on the rails. If it were before January, there is a chance Dougie could try and take a few players to his new club in the winter window, if it's afterwards, we would be fine, just not doing great.

Into the next season after it would probably derail us. Most of the players he's brought in are players that he knows, it's quite close to being the "Dougie's mates XI" at this point. To that end, they all get on with him and know what they need to do to satisfy him, and that's part of the reason we actually can call ourselves a good football team.

I think the money that will be available following the Rangers game will be enough to convince him to stay for the year.