League 1 23/24 Final table predictions

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Is it a year deal or 2 Rankin's on? He's recruited well but Hamilton have a QoS last season feel about them the now. 

We don't get told that sort of stuff but I'm pretty sure that every accies manager in the past while has been on a 1 year rolling contract so I'd imagine Rankin will be on the same. I think this season could go every well or very wrong. I think Cove will be that team that does much worse than expected though with Hartley being sacked by Christmas. 

6 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

If we are around 4th-7th I don't think rankin will even last. I don't think Zengin will let him see out the season if we are struggling to make playoffs.  if Rankin has a bad start to this season I think he's gone. I have a lot more faith that Zengin will make the right decision than McGowan did if things go wrong again.

I really hope so, because i think we are building a squad that's capable to compete for 1st, so just a fairly competent manager would do.

For me I'll give Rankin the first quarter of games and if we're not and least challenging, then I'll be calling for him to go.

14 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

We don't get told that sort of stuff but I'm pretty sure that every accies manager in the past while has been on a 1 year rolling contract so I'd imagine Rankin will be on the same. I think this season could go every well or very wrong. I think Cove will be that team that does much worse than expected though with Hartley being sacked by Christmas. 

9 minutes ago, Laid-back Accie said:

I really hope so, because i think we are building a squad that's capable to compete for 1st, so just a fairly competent manager would do.

For me I'll give Rankin the first quarter of games and if we're not and least challenging, then I'll be calling for him to go.

It just looks very much like Gibson for us. Signed what we thought looked like a decent squad (the majority of fans, myself included, certainly seemed happy) but Gibson was so far out of his depth management wise. If Hamilton don't hit the ground running it'll be interesting to see how much time Rankin gets. Teams take time to gel but how long can you risk it if they don't appear to be gelling? 

We left it too late. I doubt we'd have got through the playoffs but I reckon we'd have made them had MB been given another month or so. 

1 minute ago, Laid-back Accie said:

If I'm being honest I've probably been one of the nicer fans on Rankin I'm OK with him starting this season as he was left in a shocking position to start last season due to the mess both Colin McGowan and Allan Maitland made disgrace that it seems like Maitland is staying on the board btw after the damage he's caused in the past couple of the years. This time last season we only had 2 players signed by August and both were gone by January. The rest of the summer signings/re signings after that was Jamie Hamilton and Thomson. Thomson who left and never played a game in October. Jamie who never played a single game all season and after that we signed Tiehi one of the worst strikers I've ever seen. Zannata who is a non trier hope he's gone by the end of the window. And Lucas De Bolle who wasn't fit until December. This season we've signed 10 players so far and re signed Martin and Tumilty. I do think Rankin deserves another chance however if we fail to get out of a league cup group which we should be getting 2nd from and start the league badly then he has to go he can have no excuse this year he's been backed this season and must go if he still can't get the results needed.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It just looks very much like Gibson for us. Signed what we thought looked like a decent squad (the majority of fans, myself included, certainly seemed happy) but Gibson was so far out of his depth management wise. If Hamilton don't hit the ground running it'll be interesting to see how much time Rankin gets. Teams take time to gel but how long can you risk it if they don't appear to be gelling? 

We left it too late. I doubt we'd have got through the playoffs but I reckon we'd have made them had MB been given another month or so. 

For me if we fail to get out of the league cup group stage which we should be getting out of considering we have basically 3 home games in Clyde,Brechin and Cove which should be 9 points with a good GD that's enough to get through as one the best 2nd places so if we fail to get out of that then start the league badly I would be getting rid of him very quickly. Our first 5 games are against Cove and Montrose at Home and Kelty,Edinburgh City and Stirling away if we fail or on course to fail to get at least 9 points from those games I would sack him there and then.

1) Queen of the South

2) Cove

3) Hamilton 

4) Falkirk

5) Edinburgh City

6) Montrose

7) Stirling

8) Alloa

9) Kelty

10) Annan

Ouzy See for the Golden Boot. Edinburgh City to surprise a few people again with some decent squad additions to be announced in the next few days. 

1. Falkirk

2. Queen of the South

3. Hamilton

4. Cove

5. Montrose

6. Alloa

7. Stirling

8. Annan

9. Kelty

10. Edinburgh City

Falkirk have a stronger squad than last season and McGlynn tends to see an upturn in his second season with a club. If they don't get promoted this season they never will.

Bartley has been very impressive but there's only so much he can do with the squad at his disposal. Hamilton's recruitment has been fantastic with several players who'd get a game for every team in the division and a few Championship sides as well, but there's only so much they can do with John Rankin as manager.

Looks extremely challenging for Kelty and Edinburgh with the financial constraints, although Kelty have made some decent signings despite the conservatory money going elsewhere.

On 14/07/2023 at 16:03, RubyTuesday said:

1) Queen of the South

2) Cove

3) Hamilton 

4) Falkirk

5) Edinburgh City

6) Montrose

7) Stirling

8) Alloa

9) Kelty

10) Annan

Ouzy See for the Golden Boot. Edinburgh City to surprise a few people again with some decent squad additions to be announced in the next few days. 

Ruby, Ruby ... you been on those dodgy mushrooms for breakfast again, aye?

My wild guess - caveat alert - I seem to have even less knowledge than normal of the squads across all of the clubs this season (and that's saying something) ...

1 - Hamilton's Academicals - seem to have made solid quality signings for this level, and they never lose to Queens so that's worth a 10 point start

2 - Falkirk's Bairns - despite the last 5 years or so, you just can't ignore the likely effect of that Big Club budget, despite what their management does

3 - Cove's Rangers - don't know why really, it's not from any knowledge but more a sense that there's money at that club

4 - The Mighty Mo - something of a wild shout probably, but they have goals aplenty up front and goals get you up the table

5 - The Beautiful South - hopefully I'm wrong, and I so want it to work out for Marvin - but I just can't see the "Goals For" column being kept busy with the current forwards in the squad (hopefully we do some more business in the window yet)

6 - Stirling's Albion - purely a guess here, but I sense that they'll not struggle and will be a solid mid-table side.  Looking forward to visiting Forthbank.

7 - Alloa's Athletic - could be a harsh forecast here, I've never known an Alloa side that wasn't solid and hard to beat - and they always trouble Queens

8 - Annan's other Athletic - four southern derbies will reap some rewards I fear, but ultimately the squad quality might prevent a higher placing

9 - Kelty's Jambos - won't have quite the same funding as before (I think) and may struggle to avoid the "doon" playoff spot

10 - The City of Edinburgh - continued upheavals at the club again this season, what it means I don't know - sorry in advance, but I fear for them this season and the new Meadowbank's just no place to watch the fitba'

I think the bottom half of the table is far harder to predict than the top half - and this season I don't expect two sides to be cut adrift like Clyde/Peterhead were last season, so I'm expecting a much tighter league this time around.

Edited by Otis Blue

56 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I think the bottom half of the table is far harder to predict than the top half - and this season I don't expect two sides to be cut adrift like Clyde/Peterhead were last season, so I'm expecting a much tighter league this time around.

Completely agree. Apart from being fairly sure that Hamilton and Falkirk will be in the top four, I'm struggling to go much further with predictions. At a push, I don't think that Edinburgh, Annan or Kelty will be in the playoff positions but, even then, that doesn't mean I'd put them as the definite bottom three placings.

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Ruby, Ruby ... you been on those dodgy mushrooms for breakfast again, aye?

Yeah, I know. Fair point Otis. This will be a tough season. I just don't quite understand why we are everyone's shoe in for 9th / 10th place ! 

31 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

Yeah, I know. Fair point Otis. This will be a tough season. I just don't quite understand why we are everyone's shoe in for 9th / 10th place ! 

You’re already a good few points and goals worse off not having Airdrie in the league!

Alloa - Decent defense, decent enough midfield but they could be doing with better upfront. May end up with Kieran Offord back as he looks out the picture at St Mirren, would take him at us.

Annan - Looked decent enough in the playoffs and have managed to keep the majority of their squad. Will be a tough away ground for most teams but I reckon they'll struggle this season.

Cove - Massive rebuild in progress and we know all too well recruitment's not Hartley's forte. Expect them to take a bit of time to get going but the experienced spine should see them well this season.

Edinburgh - Decent management duo but they look to be going backwards this summer.

Falkirk(us) - McGlynn wanted more pace, power and aggression in our team this season and the signings seem to have added that. Still lacking a right back and some energy/power in the middle of the park but hopefully we'll see that in loans soon enough.

Hamilton - Much like Cove a massive rebuild at Accies this summer but they've done a lot more business earlier in the window. Seem to have signed a lot of the same types of players and the midfield, aside from Scott Martin, doesn't look up to much. Keeping Fulton will be massive.

Kelty - Losing the money man to Raith was never going to be easy. Looking forward to seeing if Daramola can make the step up.

Montrose - Best strike partnership in the league and when Kerr Waddell's back they'll have a good centre back pairing but their midfield isn't looking up to much. Petrie's normally quite savvy on the loan front though so expect them to do well this season.

Queens - Bartley will have them even hungrier this season but they look pretty toothless attacking wise. Murray Johnson's an excellent addition but the defense infront of him doesn't look too clever. Expected better from Bartley this summer.

Stirling - Hardworking front two in Carrick & Hilton who will get a few goals and Jack Leitch seems to pull the strings in the middle of the park but defensively they'll struggle.

1. Falkirk
2. Cove
3. Hamilton
4. Montrose
5. Queens
6. Alloa
7. Kelty
8. Edinburgh
9. Stirling
10. Annan

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hamilton - Much like Cove a massive rebuild at Accies this summer but they've done a lot more business earlier in the window. Seem to have signed a lot of the same types of players and the midfield, aside from Scott Martin, doesn't look up to much. Keeping Fulton will be massive.

I personally think our midfield is OK as you mentioned Scott Martin is very good,Tait has looked good so far Barjonas was good at Kelty. Seems like we are playing Kyle Macdonald in there a bit as well who has looked quite decent and probably should start on Tuesday. I think our main weakness is at center half where we only really have Lee Kilday who does look good and Fergus Owens and Cian Newbury no point mentioning Jamie Hamilton as he's not made an appearance in over a year now. So far we've played Jackson Longridge at center half this season which hasn't really worked tbh hopefully we sign a center half and are able to play Longridge at left back. Also really needing to add a winger or 2 and maybe a striker depending if Rankin sees Euan Henderson as a striker or A left winger. We are really needing a right winger as Lewis Smith is struggling a bit at the moment. On the left wing it seems like Ryan One might be moving to Brighton guy has real quality and I think that's a name that will be heard a lot in the coming years. Hoping that we punt Zannata as well as he offers absolutely nothing and will free up wages to bring someone else in just hoping that another club is stupid enough to take him off our hands. 

20 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

... This will be a tough season. I just don't quite understand why we are everyone's shoe in for 9th / 10th place ! 

I think because most of us are lazy (myself included) and we just don't know enough about the EC squad for next season or what is happening behind the scenes in terms of funding etc - we read stuff, and we hear rumours and we expect the worst.  It's lack of knowledge basically and the usual idea that bigger budgets tend to (but not always of course) generate a higher league position.