League 1 23/24 Final table predictions

13 hours ago, bod said:

And we could well be starting the league season without a recognised left back as we have in the cup games.

Yes Church was on the bench last week but hasn't featured in a game so far this season!

At least you have the option we literally do not have a right back in the squad. We have Finn Yeats playing there and he's a central midfielder with the back up option being Brad McKay who's a centre half (and not a very good one). 

On 04/08/2023 at 21:48, bod said:

And we could well be starting the league season without a recognised left back as we have in the cup games.

Yes Church was on the bench last week but hasn't featured in a game so far this season!

On 05/08/2023 at 11:35, ebobsboy said:

At least you have the option we literally do not have a right back in the squad. We have Finn Yeats playing there and he's a central midfielder with the back up option being Brad McKay who's a centre half (and not a very good one). 

As was feared and to compound things with huge detriment to the team Efe didn't start!

• 7 months later...
On 23/06/2023 at 17:44, ebobsboy said:

QoS

Falkirk

Hamilton 

Alloa 

Cove 

Montrose

Kelty

Edinburgh

Stirling

Annan

No real rhyme or reason to it, any of the top five could make the playoffs, I just don't see McGlynn winning us the league. I think Stirling and Annan could both go straight back down.  QoS under Bartley will be a different animal this season and Hamilton I don't think will be far away. Cove could be anything but I don't see them winning it. Rice will hope to get Alloa into the playoffs again. You could say the league this season would be weaker without Airdrie and Dunfermline but equally I think there will be three or four at the top with very little between them. We should be stronger but any advantage we might have had will be lost with McGlynn's tactics and formations.

That summary of McGlynn went well 

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/08/2023 at 09:50, DG_RRFC said:

1st - Falkirk 

2nd - Hamilton

3rd - Qots

4th - Cove 

5th - Montrose

6th - Alloa 

7th - Stirling

8th - Kelty 

9th - Annan 

10th - Edinburgh

Not a bad attempt that one!

I think QOTS are the big disappointments this season and the one that threw everyones predictions!

In hindsight, 9/4 odds for Falkirk to win the league was an outstanding bet! 👍

On 22/07/2023 at 23:40, JMDPco said:

1. Stirling

2. Cove

3. Falkirk

4. Montrose

5. Hamilton

6. Queen of the South

7. Edinburgh

8. Kelly

9. Annan

10. Alloa

THAT WENT WELL ...LOL .

On 02/08/2023 at 12:20, Ian Mcleod said:

As it's getting closer to The first match now I'm going to get my final Prediction in

1st Queen Of The South 

Personally for me I think Queens actually have a weaker squad than both Accies and Falkirk the difference though will be that Bartley will be able to grind results out far better than Rankin and Mcglynn which will see them win the league. I do expect they will probably add a couple of more loan signings in the coming weeks.

2nd Falkirk

Another 2nd for Falkirk for me I don't think they will win the league and I think they will lose in the playoffs. 

3rd Accies (P)

Now on to my own team for me we have far the best squad in the league but the problem will be Rankin which will see us miss out on winning the league. We have this negative mentality of when we go 1-0 up we start getting deeper and deeper rather than finish the team off which cost us on Saturday and will cost us many times this season if we keep doing it. If we were to have Rankin gone by the end of September and got someone like Ian McCall in I would be confident that we can win the league but with Rankin in charge I think if promotion is going to happen it will have to come through the playoffs.

4th Alloa

They've had a very tough pre season but it does seem like they are missing a couple key players in Scott Taggart and Luke Donnelly. I think the loan market in the next month will be huge in Alloas season. I've seen a lot of people put Alloa 6/7/8th some even relegation trouble however with Rice in charge I don't see that happening in league 1. I think they will surprise people again and make the playoffs.

5th Montrose 

They've got one of the best best striking partnerships in the league with Hester and McAlister however I think the rest of the squad is a bit weak compared to the top 4 which will see them just miss out on playoffs they are still needing a couple of signings. However 5th in league 1 for Montrose would certainly not be a bad finish. I really like Stewart Petrie as well.

6th Cove Rangers 

A lot of very strange signings. An abysmal manager who is only there because he has family connections. Going part time to full time after struggling financially when being part time. What could go wrong here.

7th Stirling Albion 

They've had the best pre season results in the league. And fair play to them on making it to the next round of the league cup. I think the main goal for Stirling this year will be to stay up and go again next year which I think they will be able to do fairly comfortably.

8th Kelty 

At first I had Kelty to finish bottom but they've seem to made a couple of decent league 1 signings and from what I've heard Tiwi Daramola is supposed to be some player. I think the main goal this year for Kelty like Stirling will be to stay in the division.

9th Annan (R)

This is a tough one I don't actually think Annan have had a terrible pre season but the league is looking quite strong and they might not have enough to stay up. I would expect that they will probably have a couple of loan signings come in from Carlise by the end of the window which might help them stay in the league. If they do stay up it would be some achievement but currently i don't think they have enough.

10th Edinburgh City (R)

This just looks a disaster of a season incoming. If you go through every team in the league you can pick out 1 or 2 players who are standouts and would probably start for every team in the league. You can't do that with Edinburgh the full team looks very mediocre. And I can't see any other finish than rock bottom I also predict that they will be cut adrift at the bottom.

Cheers Marvin Bartley.

1 hour ago, Rennieball said:

Accies have by far the best squad in the league 😂😂😂😂

Yeah I definitely underestimated Falkirk however that doesn't change the fact that we have a really good squad and it's been wasted with a shocking manager. 

On 02/08/2023 at 12:20, Ian Mcleod said:

4th Alloa

They've had a very tough pre season but it does seem like they are missing a couple key players in Scott Taggart and Luke Donnelly. I think the loan market in the next month will be huge in Alloas season. I've seen a lot of people put Alloa 6/7/8th some even relegation trouble however with Rice in charge I don't see that happening in league 1. I think they will surprise people again and make the playoffs.

Most of what you said was correct with it being a tough pre-season and missing key players, especially Scott Taggart as you said. But you nailed it on the head, the loan market has been huge for us this year with Bobby Wales (9 goals) , Taylor Steven (8 goals and 7 assists) and Ally Roy who came up with 5 goals for Alloa and young Ethan Sutherland who at 17 looks to be a good player in the future and has shown glimpses of that so far. I expected a play-off place for us at the start of the season even though a lot of teams around the play-off nominees were having good/better pre-seasons and good transfer windows but on what you said about Rice, not sure what position in the table we would be if he was still at the helm, as by the time we reached November against Stirling if we didn't win he would of been sacked , we won but he was still gone (all be it to join Livingston) but then the new and breath of fresh air with Andy Graham in charge which was the most positive change in the club for a while and you've seen that with results and sitting 3rd in the table as we speak. 

23 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Yeah I definitely underestimated Falkirk however that doesn't change the fact that we have a really good big squad and it's been wasted with a shocking manager. 

FTFY

39 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Yeah I definitely underestimated Falkirk however that doesn't change the fact that we have a really good squad and it's been wasted with a shocking manager. 

Think most people underestimated Falkirk this year

On 11/07/2023 at 10:15, Laid-back Accie said:

With competitive football just about to start here goes.

1. Falkirk

2. Cove

3. QotS

4. Accies

5. Montrose

6. Stirling Albion

7. Alloa

8. Kelty Hearts

9. Annan

10. Edinburgh

In terms of ourselves it was just all too familiar on Saturday against the Colts. It showed that even with different players we will continue to suffer from the same issues, and thats all down to Rankin being unable to organise any sort of indepth strategy when attacking.

I actually think my prediction is more on the optimistic side. I think our recruitment in itself will be enough to avoid the bottom, but I fully expect us to float around the 4th-7th places. Then every time we manage to scrape a win or a draw against a team like Montrose, Rankin will come out with the same crap along the lines of "We will use this result to kick start a run that will move us up the table" but it will not materialise, keeping us stranded mid table.

Well shows where my faith in Rankin was at the start of the season and despite being 2 places higher, I still think we've underachieved. We've been limping to the finish line since the start of the year and if QotS or Cove had their act much more together, I think my prediction would have been more accurate.

On 16/07/2023 at 11:08, Otis Blue said:

My wild guess - caveat alert - I seem to have even less knowledge than normal of the squads across all of the clubs this season (and that's saying something) ...

1 - Hamilton's Academicals - seem to have made solid quality signings for this level, and they never lose to Queens so that's worth a 10 point start

2 - Falkirk's Bairns - despite the last 5 years or so, you just can't ignore the likely effect of that Big Club budget, despite what their management does

3 - Cove's Rangers - don't know why really, it's not from any knowledge but more a sense that there's money at that club

4 - The Mighty Mo - something of a wild shout probably, but they have goals aplenty up front and goals get you up the table

5 - The Beautiful South - hopefully I'm wrong, and I so want it to work out for Marvin - but I just can't see the "Goals For" column being kept busy with the current forwards in the squad (hopefully we do some more business in the window yet)

6 - Stirling's Albion - purely a guess here, but I sense that they'll not struggle and will be a solid mid-table side.  Looking forward to visiting Forthbank.

7 - Alloa's Athletic - could be a harsh forecast here, I've never known an Alloa side that wasn't solid and hard to beat - and they always trouble Queens

8 - Annan's other Athletic - four southern derbies will reap some rewards I fear, but ultimately the squad quality might prevent a higher placing

9 - Kelty's Jambos - won't have quite the same funding as before (I think) and may struggle to avoid the "doon" playoff spot

10 - The City of Edinburgh - continued upheavals at the club again this season, what it means I don't know - sorry in advance, but I fear for them this season and the new Meadowbank's just no place to watch the fitba'

I think the bottom half of the table is far harder to predict than the top half - and this season I don't expect two sides to be cut adrift like Clyde/Peterhead were last season, so I'm expecting a much tighter league this time around.

Wasn't too far wrong generally - got Accies and Falkirk the wrong way round (should have realised that McGlynn's steady hand would be the key factor) and of course it was even tougher for City than most expected .  Like most Queens fans I wanted the Bartley project to succeed but could see that the squad being assembled wasn't going to be good enough - also underestimated the negative effect of Bartley's management style on that squad though.  (Yet another) shocker of a season from Queens ... still a risk of it getting even worse.

Edited by Otis Blue

12 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

FTFY

I think we could have this debate all day the reality of the matter is though these are the players and the squad Rankin wanted and he's been backed massively by our new owner and he has failed miserably even in a lot of games we've won this season he has almost killed us with his awful subs  he's made and his rotten system and it's more due to our players being milles better than the opposition that we've won games than him. This isn't his first season he got us relegated as well last year and should of been removed then. He will never be a manager and belongs on Sportscene and if we are to win this league next season bringing in a new manager is essential as he would make a mess of it again next season. Falkirk have been great this season though and deservedly have won the league that doesn't change the fact that Rankin must go. 

37 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I think we could have this debate all day the reality of the matter is though these are the players and the squad Rankin wanted and he's been backed massively by our new owner and he has failed miserably even in a lot of games we've won this season he has almost killed us with his awful subs  he's made and his rotten system and it's more due to our players being milles better than the opposition that we've won games than him. This isn't his first season he got us relegated as well last year and should of been removed then. He will never be a manager and belongs on Sportscene and if we are to win this league next season bringing in a new manager is essential as he would make a mess of it again next season. Falkirk have been great this season though and deservedly have won the league that doesn't change the fact that Rankin must go. 

from what i've seen of both teams this season (3 times each) i'd agree with you. 

This looks like 'as good as it gets' with Rankin. Falkirk clearly improved from last season. 

player for player differences are minimal ability wise. it's the team spirit and belief that's the difference and that has to start with the manager. 

18 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Your squad is nothing special. Way over rated by you and other Hamilton fans. 

I think you have 3 at a push who would get In our side. Keeper, Scott Martin and the lad Owens possibly. 
I wouldnt swap any of your front/wide players for ours. There are other players at other clubs who are better than your front/wide players. EG Blair Lyons at Montrose and Lee Connelly at QoS are better than anything you have. 
I feel for Rankin saddled with that goon who is the DoF signing far too many players and a truly delusional support. 

Edited by BPM