League 1 23/24 Final table predictions

37 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I think we could have this debate all day the reality of the matter is though these are the players and the squad Rankin wanted and he's been backed massively by our new owner and he has failed miserably even in a lot of games we've won this season he has almost killed us with his awful subs  he's made and his rotten system and it's more due to our players being milles better than the opposition that we've won games than him. This isn't his first season he got us relegated as well last year and should of been removed then. He will never be a manager and belongs on Sportscene and if we are to win this league next season bringing in a new manager is essential as he would make a mess of it again next season. Falkirk have been great this season though and deservedly have won the league that doesn't change the fact that Rankin must go. 

from what i've seen of both teams this season (3 times each) i'd agree with you. 

This looks like 'as good as it gets' with Rankin. Falkirk clearly improved from last season. 

player for player differences are minimal ability wise. it's the team spirit and belief that's the difference and that has to start with the manager. 

18 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Yeah I definitely underestimated Falkirk however that doesn't change the fact that we have a really good squad and it's been wasted with a shocking manager. 

Your squad is nothing special. Way over rated by you and other Hamilton fans. 

I think you have 3 at a push who would get In our side. Keeper, Scott Martin and the lad Owens possibly. 
I wouldnt swap any of your front/wide players for ours. There are other players at other clubs who are better than your front/wide players. EG Blair Lyons at Montrose and Lee Connelly at QoS are better than anything you have. 
I feel for Rankin saddled with that goon who is the DoF signing far too many players and a truly delusional support. 

Edited by BPM

I just think there's something off with that Hamilton team.

Reminds me of multiple teams we've had who could flatter to deceive at times but were soft as putty when it really counted.

In our first meeting they had us 2 0 down going on 5 but basically collapsed when we got one back. 

The difference between that and when we scored against Falkirk was massive.

At a minimum it's the second best squad in the league so finishing a decent second is no disaster but I can see where their fans dissatisfaction is coming from.

They watch them every week and  their belief seems to confirm what im seeing.

Just because they may have underachieved it doesn't take away from Falkirk dominance of the league either....

Accies squad reminds me of the squad McKinnon assembled in our first season down here. A team of individuals who on paper could probably play at a higher level or who had came from the higher divisions. From day one you could tell there wasn't really a style to their play. We finished second (season cut short to covid) however the majority of the season we played absolutely boring, dross football, and were dragged into a title fight solely by Declan McManus who ended up with about 6 million goals. 

IMG_2166.png

IMG_2167.png

IMG_2168.png

4 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Accies squad reminds me of the squad McKinnon assembled in our first season down here. A team of individuals who on paper could probably play at a higher level or who had came from the higher divisions. From day one you could tell there wasn't really a style to their play. We finished second (season cut short to covid) however the majority of the season we played absolutely boring, dross football, and were dragged into a title fight solely by Declan McManus who ended up with about 6 million goals. 

IMG_2166.png

IMG_2167.png

IMG_2168.png

I agree with everything you're saying but this is down to the manager.

I think Hamilton this season are also a reflection of what we were last season. Capable of playing good football and racking up pretty decent winning runs (Q1 for them, Q3 for us last season), but ultimately not consistent enough to mount a proper title challenge over 36 matches and will finish on around 70 points. The majority of our team is unchanged from last season apart from 4 key additions which were upgrades on what we had (especially Lang and Spencer), highlighted below

Hogarth
Yeats Donaldson Lang McCann
Spencer Henderson
Morrison Nesbitt Miller
MacIver

Couple that with adding better options to our bench such as Dylan Tait, Ethan Ross, Alfie Agyeman etc and the transformation has been huge. That Hamilton squad isn't a million miles away from being turned into league winners but I'm not convinced they are a better side than we were last season, or that getting rid of Rankin will solve all their problems.

3 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I think Hamilton this season are also a reflection of what we were last season. Capable of playing good football and racking up pretty decent winning runs (Q1 for them, Q3 for us last season), but ultimately not consistent enough to mount a proper title challenge over 36 matches and will finish on around 70 points. The majority of our team is unchanged from last season apart from 4 key additions which were upgrades on what we had (especially Lang and Spencer), highlighted below

Hogarth
Yeats Donaldson Lang McCann
Spencer Henderson
Morrison Nesbitt Miller
MacIver

Couple that with adding better options to our bench such as Dylan Tait, Ethan Ross, Alfie Agyeman etc and the transformation has been huge. That Hamilton squad isn't a million miles away from being turned into league winners but I'm not convinced they are a better side than we were last season, or that getting rid of Rankin will solve all their problems.

And can you remember the clamour for McGlynn to be sacked, imagine if the club had actually went for the knee jerk reaction and done that? Would we be sitting as champions at the moment? 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

And can you remember the clamour for McGlynn to be sacked, imagine if the club had actually went for the knee jerk reaction and done that? Would we be sitting as champions at the moment? 

It would have been a popular thing to change managers after such a traumatic result at Airdrie. But most Falkirk fans when they’d calmed and sobered - myself included - recognised that another turnover would have been daft.  Lucky our directors had the courage to lead and take a decision like that. 

Probably the same for Accies and Rankin, even if Rankin isn’t in the same ballpark. I actually think Accies have a better than Evens chance of promotion via play offs. 

4 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

This is such a ridiculous argument that some Falkirk fans have been using all season to defend Rankin. Even though I'm personally not a huge fan of McGlynn before Falkirk he had the experience of winning this league twice before with Raith. Rankin was simply a risk appointment that has really not worked out like Bartley at QOTS was and Rankin should have been well gone after he relegated us last season this isn't Rankins first shot like it was with McGlynn last season at Falkirk. Rankin got us here in the first place even though he was put in a difficult position last season and it wasn't fully his fault as our previous owner was a clown our squad last season was still far better than both the Cove and Arbroath squad and a better manager would have kept us up last season. Our new owner has got the majority of things correct but keeping Rankin on for this season was a huge mistake and he simply can't make the same mistake again next season.

1 hour ago, Ian Mcleod said:

This is such a ridiculous argument that some Falkirk fans have been using all season to defend Rankin. Even though I'm personally not a huge fan of McGlynn before Falkirk he had the experience of winning this league twice before with Raith. Rankin was simply a risk appointment that has really not worked out like Bartley at QOTS was and Rankin should have been well gone after he relegated us last season this isn't Rankins first shot like it was with McGlynn last season at Falkirk. Rankin got us here in the first place even though he was put in a difficult position last season and it wasn't fully his fault as our previous owner was a clown our squad last season was still far better than both the Cove and Arbroath squad and a better manager would have kept us up last season. Our new owner has got the majority of things correct but keeping Rankin on for this season was a huge mistake and he simply can't make the same mistake again next season.

McGlynn was given the league early once, and the other time was well over a decade ago. Poor argument. You strike me as a very angry little boy. 

23 minutes ago, Rennieball said:

McGlynn was given the league early once, and the other time was well over a decade ago. Poor argument. You strike me as a very angry little boy. 

Tbf I wasn't aware that he won it during the Covid season however all my previous points all still stand that McGlynn has history of winning this league and had an acceptable record at Raith in the championship. And that Rankin was a risk appointment that could have either went very well or been a disaster like it has been and that he relegated us last season this isn't his first chance like it was for McGlynn at Falkirk last season. Finally like I've said plenty of times now I'm not trying to take credit off Falkirk they've been excellent this season and deserved to win the league however that doesn't change the fact Rankin needs to be removed at the end of this season and that it was one of the few mistake that our new owner has made so far by not removing him at the end of last season.