League 1 23/24 Final table predictions

On 14/07/2023 at 16:03, RubyTuesday said:

5) Edinburgh City

Edinburgh City to surprise a few people again with some decent squad additions to be announced in the next few days. 

Ruby, what happened to these decent signings that were being announced?

Unless they're all top defenders we're going down unfortunately.

I'd sign up for 8th place right now!!!

44 minutes ago, CRFC Blue said:

1. Falkirk

2. Hamilton

3. QotS

4. Cove

5. Alloa

6. Montrose

7. Kelty

8. Stirling 

9. Edinburgh 

10. Annan

After our last few outings I'm a bit more positive & fancy us to finish higher than last season. Edited above for my new final standings prediction.

1 Hamilton

2 Falkirk

3 Montrose

4 Queen of the South

5 Cove

6 Alloa

7 Kelty

8 Stirling

9 Annan

10 Edinburgh

Feeling more conservative this year despite the defence and midfield looking no bad. I just can't see how Sammo will pull another 19 goals out and not sure who will step up in the meantime.

36 minutes ago, JMDPco said:

1. Stirling

2. Cove

3. Falkirk

4. Montrose

5. Hamilton

6. Queen of the South

7. Edinburgh

8. Kelly

9. Annan

10. Alloa

It was the 22nd of July when you sent that mate now the 23rd of July not the 1st of April 

In trying to avoid talking about a dismal week for Alloa, our podcast episode this week is a bit of a League 1 preview if anyone fancies a listen:

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Also available on Spotify etc - Wasps Nest Pod

Wee bit of Alloa chat to start and then rough timings for chatting about each club are:

Annan (7:00)

Cove (14:00) - (recorded before McGowan signed)

Edinburgh (22:00)

Falkirk (31:00)

Hamilton (43:00)

Kelty (52:00)

Montrose (1:01:00)

QoS (1:09:00)

Stirling (1:19:00)

Enjoy as we attempt to butcher our way through the going ons at each of your clubs and try to predict the League table

Spoiler

1. Hamilton

2. Cove

3. Falkirk

4. Montrose

5. QoS

6. Alloa

7. Stirling

8. Kelty

9. Annan

10. Edinburgh

51 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

In trying to avoid talking about a dismal week for Alloa, our podcast episode this week is a bit of a League 1 preview if anyone fancies a listen:

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Also available on Spotify etc - Wasps Nest Pod

Wee bit of Alloa chat to start and then rough timings for chatting about each club are:

Annan (7:00)

Cove (14:00) - (recorded before McGowan signed)

Edinburgh (22:00)

Falkirk (31:00)

Hamilton (43:00)

Kelty (52:00)

Montrose (1:01:00)

QoS (1:09:00)

Stirling (1:19:00)

Enjoy as we attempt to butcher our way through the going ons at each of your clubs and try to predict the League table

Reveal hidden contents

1. Hamilton

2. Cove

3. Falkirk

4. Montrose

5. QoS

6. Alloa

7. Stirling

8. Kelty

9. Annan

10. Edinburgh

Good podcast.

I think Queen's will do better than expected, I suspect Marvin's plan is to spread the goals throughout the team, he is hoping to bring in another 4/5 players. With 5(?) Players out injured, it is quite possible they could be there or there abouts. 

33 minutes ago, Rouky said:

Good podcast.

I think Queen's will do better than expected, I suspect Marvin's plan is to spread the goals throughout the team, he is hoping to bring in another 4/5 players. With 5(?) Players out injured, it is quite possible they could be there or there abouts. 

Thanks Rouky.

Queen’s are the side I’ve been most back and forward with, been a little underwhelmed with the signings so far but if Bartley can utilise his connections to grab a few gems in the loan market I can see them doing well.

1 minute ago, Kevchenko said:

Thanks Rouky.

Queen’s are the side I’ve been most back and forward with, been a little underwhelmed with the signings so far but if Bartley can utilise his connections to grab a few gems in the loan market I can see them doing well.

So far Marvin has utilised the loan market well with Johnson and McClelland coming in on loan from hibs. I'm presuming McClelland and Bryden have played together before which bodes well for a good central defence partnership when Bryden returns from injury. 

1) Falkirk 

Surely this time? Hopefully not. 

2) Hamilton

Feels very much like us last season. Fans have been optimistic with the signings but a rookie manager at the helm. Hopefully a similar outcome to us last year. 

3) QoS 

If we can match the levels of the Motherwell game we'll be right up here. MB seems to be bringing in round pegs for round holes, even if some of the names have been underwhelming. I think his next 3/4 signings will determine where we end up. 

4) Cove

Decent squad and the hybrid(?) set up may benefit them. They're Achilles heel may well be Hartley. 

5) Montrose

Seem to have kept most of their squad which could get them off to a flyer. Will most likely have the best strike partnership in the league. Wouldn't be surprised to see them take 4th. 

6) Stirling

This years FCE I reckon. Don't think they'll be in bother of relegation but will fall short of the playoffs. 

7) Alloa 

Think it could be a long dull season for Alloa. Similar to Stirling in that they won't be in any danger but won't come close to the top 4. 

8.) Kelty 

Could be a tough season now the money man has pissed off. Interesting to see how they're striker gets on. 

9) Edinburgh City

Can't see them getting any higher. Fear for them during this preseason. 

10) Annan 

Haven't added and are apparently struggling to do so. They'll raise their game against us and likely take at least 6 pts. But I think a lot of their players aren't good enough for this division and it'll be a long season for them. 

TL;DR

1) Falkirk 

2) Hamilton 

3) QoS 

4) Cove

5) Montrose 

6) Stirling

7) Alloa

8.) Kelty

9) Edinburgh 

10) Annan 

Ok, the friendlies and league cup group matches are out of the way and its less than a week to league kick off so time to have a go...

1. HAMILTON

2. QoS

3. COVE

4. FALKIRK

5. ALLOA

6. STIRLING

7. MONTROSE

8. KELTY

9. ANNAN

10. EDINBURGH

In terms of my own club Falkirk, with the existing manager and squad I can see us having another tough season, not to dissimilar to previous seasons, especially if we don't get off to a good start. Main issues IMO are the lack of a right back (which would free up the talented Yeats for cover for midfield), the lack of a natural goal scorer and not knowing what style of team we want to be, or being able to tactically change things during matches once we are inevitably found out. If we get a couple of decent loanees in soon then it could make all the difference. I do believe we have a good enough squad to win this league if deployed and motivated correctly, however based on what I've seen the last 4 or 5 months that's not likely. I expect McGlynn to persist with zonal marking at corners, a largely isolated front man, no plan B, mistakes arising from playing out from the back and starting with players like McGinn, who of course in his time was an excellent player but very regretably time has now caught up on him and should be used very sparingly, for example when we need a cool head to see games out. I really like McGlynn and want him to succeed, however, I think there is every chance we could have a new manager in place (cheap and potentially logical option might be McGinn!?) before Christmas.

I think Hamilton have signed well and see them doing well, my only doubt about them is how Rankin will be as a manager, however Airdrie seemed to do well with a relatively inexperienced manager last year so he may do okay.

I think Stirling could be the surprise team finishing comfortably mid table and registering a few "shock" results.