Titanic II

2 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

An extra $0.77 in her bank account then.

At an average payout of 0.004 cents per play would require 250,000,000,000 plays for the artist to become a billionaire and be able to afford to go get crushed at the bottom of the Atlantic. This would mean every living soul on earth would have to listen to My Heart will go on 31 times.  So each person would have to listen to it for 136 mins. If each listen was singly played it would take over 2 million years to get your payout. By that time Celine Dion might have passed away.

4 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

At an average payout of 0.004 cents per play would require 250,000,000,000 plays for the artist to become a billionaire and be able to afford to go get crushed at the bottom of the Atlantic. This would mean every living soul on earth would have to listen to My Heart will go on 31 times.  So each person would have to listen to it for 136 mins. If each listen was singly played it would take over 2 million years to get your payout. By that time Celine Dion might have passed away.

Celine Begone.

12 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

This would mean every living soul on earth would have to listen to My Heart will go on 31 times. 

Given that I've listened to it against my will at least 6 billion times that, I'm sure I've brought down the average a bit. 

On 25/06/2023 at 15:36, Zetterlund said:

Yup, plenty of material in there for the Nope thread.

Quite why anyone would go within 20 miles of the ocean is beyond me.

Japanese Spider Crab (Macrocheira kaempferi) - by Anotheca - JungleDragon

That's going right alongside they coconut crabs that - *checks notes* - climb fucking trees, on the list of things that must be killed with fire if seen.

15 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Going by this past weekend and advances in medical science, she could be headlining Glastonbury by then.

This you tuber was on a trip with oceangate just a few weeks ago.  In the end they didn’t make the titanic dive due to bad weather and technical issues.

Probably opportunistic bringing out the video in the wake of what’s happened, but he’s fairly respectful.

You do get the impression it wasn’t the slickest operation possible.. 

Skip to 3:35 when he first boards the ship.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This you tuber was on a trip with oceangate just a few weeks ago.  In the end they didn’t make the titanic dive due to bad weather and technical issues.

Probably opportunistic bringing out the video in the wake of what’s happened, but he’s fairly respectful.

I thought he was very respectful and in my opinion he wasn't trying to be opportunistic. Actually, I thought his video was a great insight into the whole Oceangate operation. The youtuber seemed to me to fit the profile of a person who would be naive enough to go on that kind of expedition but overall seemed like a nice, polite and well raised guy and not someone out to exploit.

I had no idea deep diving in submersibles was a thing done by anyone other than people who require to do it as part of their work so this entire episode has been interesting to follow. I have myself done a few questionable pursuits at possibly a lower level of risk than deep sea diving (caving, parachuting etc) and my approach was generally to assume and accept I was going to die before doing any of those activities which helped relax my mind so hopefully they had done something similar.

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I thought he was very respectful and in my opinion he wasn't trying to be opportunistic. Actually, I thought his video was a great insight into the whole Oceangate operation. The youtuber seemed to me to fit the profile of a person who would be naive enough to go on that kind of expedition but overall seemed like a nice, polite and well raised guy and not someone out to exploit.

I had no idea deep diving in submersibles was a thing done by anyone other than people who require to do it as part of their work so this entire episode has been interesting to follow. I have myself done a few questionable pursuits at possibly a lower level of risk than deep sea diving (caving, parachuting etc) and my approach was generally to assume and accept I was going to die before doing any of those activities which helped relax my mind so hopefully they had done something similar.

My missus follows him on Tiktok and had showed me his clip from there. He seems a decent guy, she's showed me lots of his other clips, he finds some fascinating stuff on some of his dives.

Interesting video and respectful too. I would think any operation out in the mid-atlantic might have been better prepped for rough seas. Was he just invited on for covering the operation free of charge for his channel?  Says he was a stand by for the dive so doubt he would have been paying top dollar to be there.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

My missus follows him on Tiktok and had showed me his clip from there. He seems a decent guy, she's showed me lots of his other clips, he finds some fascinating stuff on some of his dives.

^^^ misses is looking for a deep diver.

8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I just meant some might perceive it as opportunistic bringing it out that video within 3 days of the news of the sub imploding.  He’ll certainly take in the views I expect.  I don’t really have an issue with it as it paints an accurate impression of what it was like, and is better than the hundreds of others online jumping on the bandwagon pretending to know what they’re talking about.

Agree, the lad comes across well.

Some of the joy over people dying because they’ve got more money than you seems odd. It’s like folk down the road who can’t afford to go on a foreign holiday cheering when you and your family get wiped out in a plane crash!

As for the safety aspect, I bet there’s loads of folk on here bungee jumped, parachuted, been on roller coasters etc just trusting the folk that run it without asking to see their safety certificates. If you were paying £200k and it had done a few successful missions maybe you would trust it in your eagerness to go on the adventure.. who knows?

Stockton Rush reminds me of those eccentric inventors on sci-fi movies who become so obsessed with their dream that they lose sight of the basic principles of physics, science etc.  In this instance it only affects those on the submersible, but you look at psychos like Elon Musk with his passion for AI and see there should be strict regulation as it affects all of us.