Titanic II

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Somebody said the pressure's equivalent to having the Empire State building sitting on top of it.

Is an Empire State Building an acceptable unit of measurement, is it not normally elephants, buses or even jumbo jets?

2 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Is an Empire State Building an acceptable unit of measurement, is it not normally elephants, buses or even jumbo jets?

Apologies, 140 million elephants.

Spoiler

I actually googled "weight of Empire State building in elephants" and it popped straight up. :lol:

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Somebody said the pressure's equivalent to having the Empire State building sitting on top of it.

One atmosphere is 14.7 pounds per square inch is the pressure exerted at sea level and it goes up an atmosphere every 10 meter depth so at 4000 meters you would be talking about the weight of a rhino per square inch. 

I don't have many life rules, but one I do have can be adapted to suit this situation.

I will avoid death or injury by not going in submarines, going up mountains, riding on rollercoasters, cycling, going in water more than waist deep, driving like a fucking lunatic...

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't have many life rules, but one I do have can be adapted to suit this situation.

I will avoid death or injury by not going in submarines, going up mountains, riding on rollercoasters, cycling, going in water more than waist deep, driving like a fucking lunatic...

I had always just assumed "chips with every meal" was about the stretch of your life rules.

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

One atmosphere is 14.7 pounds per square inch is the pressure exerted at sea level and it goes up an atmosphere every 10 meter depth so at 4000 meters you would be talking about the weight of a rhino per square inch. 

African or European?