Female breadwinner, male househusband

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

As for the question of would I prefer she was also unemployed, I'm not sure it's a great question. Wouldn't everyone be happier if they could spend more time with their partner? (Insert joke about how much you hate your wife here). 

I would have assumed this was due to jealousy, paranoia, or feelings of emasculation at not providing for their family.

My partner earns approximately double what I double I do so if this is probably quite plausible in my household if ever have a family.

I feel pretty much duty bound to contribute to supporting myself and any future kids we have. Being at home wouldn't sit right with me. Part of personal pride for me is getting up and working.

The problem o lot men will face in this scenario is the lack of a feeling of purpose if they aren’t the ones earning and providing for their family.

I have a cousin who is 42 now and married her husband in 2004 and had 3 kids together and she was the one with ambition, it was her money that build the house they lived in and he provided very little other than a few shifts a week in an outdoor shop. They live in middle of nowhere as well  and he never even attempted to learn to drive so he wasn’t exactly doing all the running about for the kids either. Was only last year she decided to leave him but fair fucks to him for dragging it that far.

A distant relative of mine is married to a man who has never worked, never tried to get a job and just sits around all day playing video games. She works and provides everything for the house. I don’t think he even does much housework. They don’t have kids, don’t have pets, live in a small flat. Unsure how anyone can live like that.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A distant relative of mine is married to a man who has never worked, never tried to get a job and just sits around all day playing video games. She works and provides everything for the house. I don’t think he even does much housework. They don’t have kids, don’t have pets, live in a small flat. Unsure how anyone can live like that.

Total lad.

I earned more than my wife for the entire time we were together, then as soon as her earnings overtook mine, she ditched me.  

Maybe she discovered my plan to quit work and look after the kids?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Find out will you?

I think in the future we’ll see more and more of this reversal of ‘traditional’ gender roles. I was reading an article recently which stated that women in their 20s are now earning more on average than their male counterparts. 

I like the idea of being a househusband in theory and I reckon it would be class in the short term. 30/40 years of it and I’m not sure it’d be for me.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Once the kids are in school, househusbanding/wifing must be a piece of piss.  How long does it take to do a bit of hoovering, load up a dishwasher, stick some clothes in the machine and hang them out?  An hour, if that.  Then you've got the rest of the day to yourself, you could take up pottery or marathon running or learning Old Norse to read the sagas in their original language.

Although not a house husband or kept man, given the nature of my job, I'm home/off work roughly 30 weeks a year and I can tell you that your hour of housework sure flies in the closer it gets to the wife getting in from work once you've decided to do all the more interesting things for that day before the chores

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If i was her I wouldn't be happy but If the both of them are happy who cares. 

The thought of sitting around on my arse all day with nothing more than a few household chores to do is appealing, but the prospect of giving up my career to be financially dependent on someone who can change their mind on a whim is a total no go. 

I've never understood women who do it, and then somehow act like they had no agency when they find out the husband has been shagging someone else and she's going to end up homeless, jobless, skint, and lumbered with a screed of bairns, so there's no way I'd ever put myself in that position. People who think they are safe just because their relationship has been solid and predictable to that point and 'they'd be decent if we split up' are delusional.

Edited by Boo Khaki

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

The thought of sitting around on my arse all day with nothing more than a few household chores to do is appealing, but the prospect of giving up my career to be financially dependent on someone who can change their mind on a whim is a total no go. 

I've never understood women who do it, and then somehow act like they had no agency when they find out the husband has been shagging someone else and she's going to end up homeless, jobless, skint, and lumbered with a screed of bairns, so there's no way I'd ever put myself in that position. People who think they are safe just because their relationship has been solid and predictable to that point and 'they'd be decent if we split up' are delusional.

I think this is generalising a bit. Even a generation ago woman tending go stay at home so having the means to leave was difficult as they'd been out the work system for 5/10/15 years. 

Then there's those who genuinely have no agency due to abuse.

I’m currently a kept man and it’s absolutely glorious.

I go back to work next year and would love to go back with my resignation letter in hand.

I’ve absolutely no qualms about Mrs Mathematics being the breadwinner. Being from the scheme, that was odds on to happen.

7 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Have you been through a situation like this or is it just what you worry might happen?

13 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I think in the future we’ll see more and more of this reversal of ‘traditional’ gender roles. I was reading an article recently which stated that women in their 20s are now earning more on average than their male counterparts. 

I like the idea of being a househusband in theory and I reckon it would be class in the short term. 30/40 years of it and I’m not sure it’d be for me.

When can we start campaigning for equal pay? I will get the crayons out.

16 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Has your relative got any single sisters you could put me in contact with?

I'd love a skive but neither of us earn anywhere near enough for either of us to do it.

Even with no childcare costs, our outgoings for everything would be exactly one of our wages.

My wife has two friends who are both university educated but don't work. Both have 2 children and they are all free nursery/school age. Their respective husbands both earn good money but it's 'only' circa £60,000 - £70,000. I'd be frankly furious if I were either of the husbands. Knocking your pan in earning a good wage but not even able to enjoy a particularly luxurious lifestyle.