#Barclays 23/24

23 hours ago, ahemps said:

This morning backs up my point. Celtic getting praised for not winning, 3 games in to Europe and they have 1 point.

Does pressure only apply when they are playing the likes of Ross County?

Big Ange would not be under pressure for not beating Man City but he would be criticised for losing at home to Burnley, just like Celtic get a free hit at Lazio but are expected to beat Livingston. The pressure is exactly the same at every club, win the games you are expected to but in tighter games then there is more realistic acceptance of the outcome.

I am of the opinion the OF is a comfort zone, they get well paid, they play in front of big crowds, they win trophies by beating cannon fodder and yet when they play the big guns then they are happy to just be there. I don't think they have as much pressure as you think they do.

On the other hand, if you don't beat the other lot to the title, or even if you are looking a bit uncompetitive with them in the league, you get sacked. Spurs are quite clearly not going to sack Postecoglu for being 7 points behind Man City at a given point in the season, for example. 

I agree regarding Europe, however. Postecoglu made a complete and utter arse of Celtic's European fixtures and no-one cared. It's weird, yes, but the only thing that matters to the fans of that club is beating Rangers and having someone from a top European side praise the atmosphere at Celtic Park. 

33 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Spurs are quite clearly not going to sack Postecoglu for being 7 points behind Man City at a given point in the season

This is the point. Rodgers is not going to be sacked if Celtic end up bottom of their CL group. They have had a kind draw 2yrs in a row and have picked up 3pts yet they are only under Pressure to beat Rangers, a side they have a sizeable financial advantage over.

There is pressure on Tyson Fury to win tomorrow but the result is a foregone conclusion, the pressure is from not 'blowing it' rather than actually going and achieving something.

Just catching up with last week's action. Mudryk meant to chip Raya. Arsenal should have had a penalty when Sanches wrote Jesus off when coming to collect and got nowhere near it.

Edit : Jacob Murphy's goal for Newcastle was lovely. Not as lovely as his unbridled joy reaction, really looked like an 8 year old who just scored a worldie. 

Edited by Derry Alli

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

On the other hand, if you don't beat the other lot to the title, or even if you are looking a bit uncompetitive with them in the league, you get sacked. Spurs are quite clearly not going to sack Postecoglu for being 7 points behind Man City at a given point in the season, for example. 

I agree regarding Europe, however. Postecoglu made a complete and utter arse of Celtic's European fixtures and no-one cared. It's weird, yes, but the only thing that matters to the fans of that club is beating Rangers and having someone from a top European side praise the atmosphere at Celtic Park. 

But, surely, we can't expect the Rangers/Celtic manager to compete with Europe's superior finances? Let alone punish them if they fail!