#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

Arteta shares the Pep and Klopp characteristic of being an entitled spoilt moaning wee shite when things go against him.

Arsenal barely created a chance all game, and the Newcastle goal wasn’t that much of a howling decision. Debatable that Joelinton pushed the Arsenal lad, but definitely not a sure thing as he didn’t put any force on it and was arguably just getting his hands up to stop any contact from the arsenal player.

The ball wasn’t definitely out so you stay with the on-field call, and the offside shout was laughable.. Joelinton’s header went back the way, so how can Gordon be offside?!!

6 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm amazed how often this comes up. It's the relative positions of the players that are important, not the direction of the football. 

You are right, I was talking shite.

Regardless, I still don’t think Gordon was further forward than Joelinton, so still not offside for me.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You are right, I was talking shite.

Regardless, I still don’t think Gordon was further forward than Joelinton, so still not offside for me.

It's hard to tell, and it looks like (I didn't watch live) they had issues finding the point of contact and that meant they weren't able to draw the lines? Seems mad but that's VAR for you. I think it was a foul by Joelington anyway, but maybe not enough of an error to overturn it even though we've all seen goals disallowed for similar. I was surprised the VAR didn't disallow it for that though given there were so many question marks already. We all know how they like the easy way out.

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Can someone explain to me the outrage over the Newcastle goal? I’ve just watched the VAR check and I don’t get it.

All the pro-VAR shaggers on social media are raging about it.

Same here. I get that certain aspects if it were debatable but there's nothing hugely controversial about it for me.

On another day a foul might be given but it's 50/50 at worst.

40 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Same here. I get that certain aspects if it were debatable but there's nothing hugely controversial about it for me.

On another day a foul might be given but it's 50/50 at worst.

I think it was a foul. Joelinton didn't celebrate the goal because he knew he had pushed the defender over. 

I watched MOTD and its one of those you're raging if it is against you but happy it goes for you. You can't really blame folk being outraged, it's the fact we see them regularly given both ways for the same challenge that causes it.

I have no doubt the exact same thing will happen next week in the EPL and it'll be chopped off.

5 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I watched MOTD and its one of those you're raging if it is against you but happy it goes for you. You can't really blame folk being outraged, it's the fact we see them regularly given both ways for the same challenge that causes it.

I have no doubt the exact same thing will happen next week in the EPL and it'll be chopped off.

Agree, like @Zetterlund says it’s a 50:50 call. But the reaction of Arteta is crazy, way out of proportion.

A debatable decision, but not the massive glaring error he’s making out.

Some things are just down to individual opinion/ interpretation where there will never be full agreement either way, so var did the right thing and left it to the ref’s original call.

On the subject of VAR, I cannot wait for the first goal from a corner being disallowed because the ball was placed outside the arc. It is as much a clear & obvious error as the rest of the shite that they seem overly keen to police but no one ever seems to bring it up.

9 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

On the subject of VAR, I cannot wait for the first goal from a corner being disallowed because the ball was placed outside the arc. It is as much a clear & obvious error as the rest of the shite that they seem overly keen to police but no one ever seems to bring it up.

IMG_9008.thumb.jpeg.2e08423950b6dfb57b14c9283ac88623.jpeg

This is still in play.

IMG_9009.jpeg.e75f42f6b94a94f3d714ad07d58f4a12.jpeg

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

IMG_9008.thumb.jpeg.2e08423950b6dfb57b14c9283ac88623.jpeg

This is still in play.

IMG_9009.jpeg.e75f42f6b94a94f3d714ad07d58f4a12.jpeg

It isn't, that is yet another incorrect decision. My initial statement remains. It really isn't difficult, I would have loved to have all this information while fat drunken arseholes were telling me I was getting my head kicked in after the game in bigoted hell holes like Cumnock & Maybole when I was an 18 yo reffin an u 14 game. They have everything they could ask for but they still get it wrong. The salient fact remains that every time a player deliberately places the ball outside the corner arc & a goal, or any other interaction, results, then that is a clear & obvious error by the Referee & his Assistants, whatever happens as a result must be disallowed. It is in The Laws of the Game.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

It isn't, that is yet another incorrect decision. My initial statement remains. It really isn't difficult, I would have loved to have all this information while fat drunken arseholes were telling me I was getting my head kicked in after the game in bigoted hell holes like Cumnock & Maybole when I was an 18 yo reffin an u 14 game. They have everything they could ask for but they still get it wrong. The salient fact remains that every time a player deliberately places the ball outside the corner arc & a goal, or any other interaction, results, then that is a clear & obvious error by the Referee & his Assistants, whatever happens as a result must be disallowed. It is in The Laws of the Game.

If any part of the ball overhangs the line, it’s in. From the side there can be space between the ball and the line and it’s still in as from above you can see it overhangs.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

If any part of the ball overhangs the line, it’s in. From the side there can be space between the ball and the line and it’s still in as from above you can see it overhangs.

The "whole" of the ball is over there from what I can see, it is out of play.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree, like @Zetterlund says it’s a 50:50 call. But the reaction of Arteta is crazy, way out of proportion.

A debatable decision, but not the massive glaring error he’s making out.

Some things are just down to individual opinion/ interpretation where there will never be full agreement either way, so var did the right thing and left it to the ref’s original call.

It’s not even the worst decision of the day. The penalty Sheffield United got was an absolute joke. 

Have to agree that anyone who thinks that the decision to let the goal stand is the worst decision in football history can't have watched that much football. It was one of those calls which wouldn't have been overturned whichever way the onfield decision had gone, if it had been disallowed there's no way it would have been reversed, for exactly the same reasons that it was given. The only contentious bit out of the three things looked at for me was whether it was a push by Joelinton or not.

One thing they should take from last night though is that if they are going to use VAR to decide if a ball is out of play or not, it might be handy to have a camera looking right along the line.

Edited by peasy23