#Barclays 24/25

Cheese

On 01/04/2024 at 17:30, DrewDon said:

TOP TIP: If you find yourself struggling to join in with football chat in the pub tonight, just drop this in. Stamp your authority on the conversation. 

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/15454fa2-a791-4df8-961f-292c43788773

Cant find a quality video of this unfortunately but aye. Hipsterism at its most pretentious.

38 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

There's some fecker standing in the Brentford end dressed as a beekeeper 🤦🏻

165127_v9_bb.jpg.9b5e23d9012d97495eef89052db55568.jpg

Jack Grealish is completely stealing a wage.

£300k a week and it must be about a year since he last did anything productive.

Complete fraud of a player. No idea what Pep sees in him.

12 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Jack Grealish is completely stealing a wage.

£300k a week and it must be about a year since he last did anything productive.

Complete fraud of a player. No idea what Pep sees in him.

He's been turned from the main creative force/roaming in a free role at Villa to a cog in a machine at City. Unless you're Lionel Messi you have a role in his system and you do it. Nothing more.

31 minutes ago, Comrie said:

He's been turned from the main creative force/roaming in a free role at Villa to a cog in a machine at City. Unless you're Lionel Messi you have a role in his system and you do it. Nothing more.

Yeah - it is easy to forget but he was a player that was good to watch at Villa. He just isn’t now! 

It can’t be as enjoyable to play in either, but ultimately if you are winning tons of trophies…

Grealish's role when he's in the team seems to be almost exclusively to receive the ball in his area of the pitch, hold onto it while other attacking players get in their positions, then pass it backwards or sideways. He almost never takes risks with his passing and rarely gives it away.

Eye-bleeding to watch after his performances at Villa, but an effective cog in Pep's machine.

Completely irrelevant, but I briefly lived with one of Jack Grealish's best friends while in Melbourne.

The lad was called Henry but insisted on being called 'Heng' and, despite very limited experience, he absolutely loved getting construction jobs. He'd call site foremen, sell himself in as a skilled worker and then just give the job to someone else. On a few occasions this resulted in lads with no English or construction experience turning up on site the next day to a completely bemused foreman.

On one occasion I came out of my room to find him measuring a radiator in the hallway - the reason being he had decided he was actually going to go to one of these jobs himself and was practicing using a tape measure in preparation. 

The last time I saw him he was heading for the airport as Grealish had got him a ticket to the 2015 FA Cup final, leaving nothing behind except the memories and about 3 months of unpaid rent.

2 hours ago, Comrie said:

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah - it is easy to forget but he was a player that was good to watch at Villa. He just isn’t now! 

It can’t be as enjoyable to play in either, but ultimately if you are winning tons of trophies…

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Grealish's role when he's in the team seems to be almost exclusively to receive the ball in his area of the pitch, hold onto it while other attacking players get in their positions, then pass it backwards or sideways. He almost never takes risks with his passing and rarely gives it away.

Eye-bleeding to watch after his performances at Villa, but an effective cog in Pep's machine.

HITC sevens touches on this and uses Grealish's heat maps to illustrate his more general case that top teams are now so strictly choreographed and scripted that the game has become more predictable and less entertaining, not so much in terms of results way as in the way the game is actually played

The Grealish bit starts at 13:00

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Aye I watched this the other day. I didn't agree with Alfie's conclusions and I don't think that the game being more popular than ever (in terms of people watching it) can be used as a great argument in favour of the game being more exciting considering a lot of these fans will be new and have no connection to the way the game used to be played. 

Anyway, I was thinking about trophies and wondering how much it is worth it to guys like Grealish. I have a feeling that, years from now, Grealish might regret giving up the expression of his truest footballing gifts  in exchange for some medals. It might seem heady now, but people will soon forget him. He may be one of those players from the wrong era.

Obviously it's best that England's best players don't fulfil their potential, but I can't help myself here because my footballing aestheticism and romanticism trumps petty rivalry. I'd love to see him move to a team on the continent where he gets to be the creative magician that we know he can be. 

Edited by velo army

I know a lad who has a mate related to someone who was at Liverpool's Academy.  The old days of buying the best Scottish players and letting them play five-a-side all week are long gone.  Apparently, the training is constantly getting stopped so all the players can be advised on what they should be doing,  on the shape of the team etc.   I can see how you'd go along with it to get potential first team football, but it is disappointing when flair is sacrificed for cash or medals.  Grealish seems like a lad who just wants to enjoy his life and I hope he is actually enjoying his football.