#Barclays 24/25

Cheese

1 hour ago, Hauzen said:

Ten Haag is an utter fraud of a manager. 

Harry McGuire turning down the move to West Ham because he knows he'll be getting the boot and the next manager might stick him back in the team... 

Not sure I'd be putting much weight on that eventuality tbh.

20 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

There was never enough for a foul. It was just another example of the rules applying differently to goalkeepers in those situations.

I disagree, he grabbed his arm and pushed it downwards. That’s enough for a foul.

24 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I disagree, he grabbed his arm and pushed it downwards. That’s enough for a foul.

From the footage available it's not 100% clear, but if anything it looks to me like the keeper reaches up and gets his arm caught under Wilson's.

Player for player that Newcastle side is miles off where their expectations will be this season. Gordon and Barnes are mid-table quality at best. I probably wouldn't even have Gordon that high to be honest, one of those players where you just don't see it - running fast in a straight line seems to be his one attribute. Defence and goalie are pretty average too, and Callum Wilson will get you some goals but he's hardly going to push you to the next level.

They overachieved last season by knowing their limitations and playing a style of football to get results. It was also a perfect storm of Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool all being dreadful and freeing up the top 4. I think they'll probably finish 7th or 8th at best this year, and I can't see their owners accepting that.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Player for player that Newcastle side is miles off where their expectations will be this season. Gordon and Barnes are mid-table quality at best. I probably wouldn't even have Gordon that high to be honest, one of those players where you just don't see it - running fast in a straight line seems to be his one attribute. Defence and goalie are pretty average too, and Callum Wilson will get you some goals but he's hardly going to push you to the next level.

They overachieved last season by knowing their limitations and playing a style of football to get results. It was also a perfect storm of Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool all being dreadful and freeing up the top 4. I think they'll probably finish 7th or 8th at best this year, and I can't see their owners accepting that.

Is is unbelievably harsh to say that Harvey Barnes is a mid table player at best - over the last few years he has had some of the best numbers in the league while mainly finishing in the top eight. 

We all know what happened to them last season, but 13 goals and an assist for a relegated side from midfield is obscene. 

21/22 - six goals and ten assists in 32 as they finished eighth. 

20/21: Nine goals and four assists in 25 as they finished fifth. 

19/20: Six goals and eight assists in 36 as they finished fifth. 

None of that points to mid table, never mind at best! 

Saying all that - I do agree with the general point of the post…

Edited by No_Problemo

21 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Is is unbelievably harsh to say that Harvey Barnes is a mid table player at best - over the last few years he has had some of the best numbers in the league while mainly finishing in the top eight. 

We all know what happened to them last season, but 13 goals and an assist for a relegated side from midfield is obscene. 

21/22 - six goals and ten assists in 32 as they finished eighth. 

20/21: Nine goals and four assists in 25 as they finished fifth. 

19/20: Six goals and eight assists in 36 as they finished fifth. 

None of that points to mid table, never mind at best! 

Saying all that - I do agree with the general point of the post…

Fair comment, mid-table was the wrong phrase. Given where Newcastle finished last season, for them to maintain that or improve that I don't think Barnes is the level of player they need. For me he's a level below that and won't really add much that they didn't already have, albeit he'll be a perfectly reasonable squad option to have.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Fair comment, mid-table was the wrong phrase. Given where Newcastle finished last season, for them to maintain that or improve that I don't think Barnes is the level of player they need. For me he's a level below that and won't really add much that they didn't already have, albeit he'll be a perfectly reasonable squad option to have.

It’s hard to quantify really, but yeah he’s possibly one of those players you look at and think is a very good top eight or so player but just not quite at that level to step up and be a regular for someone aiming to be top four. 

7 hours ago, Hauzen said:

Ten Haag is an utter, catastrophically bald fraud of a manager. 

FTFY. The free pass handed to him on MOTD was ridiculous. In what way does ownership of the club changing from one bunch of faceless billionaire goons to another have an impact on not getting hockeyed by Brighton and Hove Albion? It's not as if they're battling administration here - and spent a huge amount of money in the summer as usual.

Also zero scrutiny of the bald fraud's personal insistence on spending £80 million on a useless sand-dancer from his former club, who makes Russell Brand seem like ideal son in law material.

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Hannibal Mejri celebrating like he'd bagged a winner when he notched Man Us pathetic consolation at home to Brighton was very, very Barclays IMO.

My favourite Barclays Heritage moment was the Man United fans taking photos of Joao Pedro as he was getting it right up them after Brighton’s third goal.