Dundee vs. Motherwell Saturday 5th August

Really enjoyable game of football on a tricky pitch. Well done to the Dundee groundstaff for getting the game on/finished.

Thought both teams played some nice stuff at times. The boy McCowan looks a player. Very impressed with him. Very unlucky not to get a goal which he would have deserved.

Thought we played really well on the transition, with just the final pass eluding us or holding up in the water a lot of the time.

A point was about right. Both teams will probably play worse this season and win.

8 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Must be the only game of football I've watched where VAR was present, yet no called upon a single time. Is it only there to ensure nobody incorrectly awards a penalty against the OF and gets their windaes panned in or something?

I seen @craigkillie try to claim it isn't handball as he "was touching the keepers arm" and it wasn't deliberate. 

:lol:

24 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

An inauspicious start for VAR at Dens. The most blatant of handballs? A clear deflection of a shot which is given as a goal kick rather than a corner? Never mind all that, no decisions to be made.

VAR doesnt get involved in corner/goal kick decisions, tbf.

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

We've got Hearts on the 26th, so prepare for the deluge of memes and Morton-level drivel posters.

Don't sell St Mirren short though, they've got their fair share of utter roasters. Very much a case of peaks and troughs with them, I find.

Motherwell posters by comparison are pretty decent lads to their credit.

Talking of VAR, I was surprised there wasn’t more of a check for our goal. I thought Soare might have been in an offside position when Bair hit his shot and could arguably have been interfering with the goalkeeper. He’s was basically in the net when the ball crossed the line. 

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Talking of VAR, I was surprised there wasn’t more of a check for our goal. I thought Soare might have been in an offside position when Bair hit his shot and could arguably have been interfering with the goalkeeper. He’s was basically in the net when the ball crossed the line. 

They probably just work off a simple flowchart -

Has the 'goal' just been scored against Celtic or Rangers - 

No - Carry on, nothing to see here 

Yes - pour the entire resources of the SPFL, BBC, Sky, NASA, and the Chinese Workers and Peasants Revolutionary Army into finding some reason to rule it out.

On 05/08/2023 at 20:56, Meeniedee said:

penalty or not...never saw that in a game before.

Screenshot_20230805_203410_X.jpg.931cb7561f3aa235e216c7b2b295a1b8.jpg

The keeper was certainly worried it might have been, you can see when he notices his teammate's hands are on the ball he pulls it away from him very quickly.

He also mouths something which seems like 'handball', although I've maybe made that up...

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The keeper was certainly worried it might have been, you can see when he notices his teammate's hands are on the ball he pulls it away from him very quickly.

He also mouths something which seems like 'handball', although I've maybe made that up...

Easy mistake to make when you're not a professional lip reader.

What he actually said was "What the f**k are you doing ya absolute moon unit. You're doing nothing to help dispel the lazy, stereotypical thick Irishman perception here, are you?. Get the f**k up the park." Going by the face he made when he pulled the ball away anyway. 

Edited by 'WellDel

12 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Don't sell St Mirren short though, they've got their fair share of utter roasters. Very much a case of peaks and troughs with them, I find.

Motherwell posters by comparison are pretty decent lads to their credit.

The Midden match thread 🤡

Whichever half of the league we finish in I hope tae f**k they're in the other one.

On 05/08/2023 at 20:56, Meeniedee said:

penalty or not...never saw that in a game before.

Screenshot_20230805_203410_X.jpg.931cb7561f3aa235e216c7b2b295a1b8.jpg

Fair play to Paul McGinn - still wins plenty of headers despite having Scottish football’s smallest head. 

9 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Easy mistake to make when you're not a professional lip reader.

What he actually said was "What the f**k are you doing ya absolute moon unit. You're doing nothing to help dispel the lazy, stereotypical thick Irishman perception here, are you?. Get the f**k up the park." Going by the face he made when he pulled the ball away anyway. 

I know a guy who played amateur football in the Motherwell area and his team once got a goalkeeper who had been on Well's books, but hadn't made the first team. My friend said he was taken aback by the abuse that a goalkeeper with that background was willing to give his defenders during a game.