Premier In: the EOS Premier Division 2023-24

On 11/09/2023 at 16:51, HoBNob said:

Is that considered to be a good appointment? Haws have burned through a few management teams recently. 

Not for me, example Stevie craw going to rosyth surely haws would be viewed as a better option than a poor Rosyth set up or does this only highlight the demise of the hob legacy 

9 hours ago, Buzzwoody said:

Not for me, example Stevie craw going to rosyth surely haws would be viewed as a better option than a poor Rosyth set up or does this only highlight the demise of the hob legacy 

Crawford comes from/lives in Rosyth tbf, he has an emotional attachment to the job. 

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Glenrothes have been deducted 3pts for playing with a child in their 0-5 defeat to Jeanfield on Tuesday 1st August.

They now drop below Hill of Beath into 13th.

League tables - East of Scotland Football Association & League (eosfl.com)

Could've worded that a bit better HJ 😂

What is the rule with playing u16s? Have they changed recently? 

I noticed even amatuer teams only signing over 16/18s now for the insurance etc but I imagine there are a few other new laws regarding it too. I definitely played my 1st (legit) amatuer league game at 15, played as a trailist at 14 with a few mates so either our team was dodgy or it was allowed in 2002. I definitely put my real DoB on the form from what I remember! 

21 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I noticed even amatuer teams only signing over 16/18s now for the insurance etc but I imagine there are a few other new laws regarding it too. I definitely played my 1st (legit) amatuer league game at 15, played as a trailist at 14 with a few mates so either our team was dodgy or it was allowed in 2002. I definitely put my real DoB on the form from what I remember! 

Honestly think that is nuts! Glenrothes get hammered by Jeanfield and still get 3pts deduction. I don’t know why under 16s are not permitted to play at this level (will try and find out), but surely a warning to the club would have been suffice on this occasion. If you are good enough to be playing at 15, what is the issue. 

Tbf letting clubs off with offences as they lost heavily may be problematic. Less of a deterrent - and if another side lose narrowly/draw/win but are sanctioned, then get relegated behind such a club by 1/2/3pt margin, probably be uproar.

This regulation has come in across many leagues for child protection and player safety reasons. I actually thought it was required by SFA, but apparently North + Midland Juniors don't observe it, so perhaps only the senior leagues have adopted it. Certainly also applies in SPFL, Lowland, WOSL, SOSL, etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 16/09/2023 at 01:11, Buzzwoody said:

As pointed out, Craw was more likely to go to rosyth than another west fife team but I do think you’re right in the loss of HoB legacy.  I don’t know if it’s a direct result of Kelty shooting up the leagues but the loss of the rivalry does coincide with them going backwards a bit.  From them and Kelty being always the favoured clubs in central/west fife I don’t think they have anything left apart from the ability to offer Scottish cup games that’s going to make them anymore of an attraction over swifts or Crossgates for example.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf letting clubs off with offences as they lost heavily may be problematic. Less of a deterrent - and if another side lose narrowly/draw/win but are sanctioned, then get relegated behind such a club, probably be uproar.

This regulation has come in across many leagues for child protection and player safety reasons. I actually thought it was required by SFA, but apparently North + Midland Juniors don't observe it, so perhaps only the senior leagues have adopted it. Certainly also applies in SPFL, Lowland, WOSL, SOSL, etc.

I think it became a rule at spfl level shortly after airdrie and Alloa IIRC started playing rather young players and making a big deal over how young they were to be making the first team in an effort to promote their youth sides, probably right to bring in a rule to prevent a race to the bottom 

Edited by parsforlife

3 hours ago, Spyro said:

I remember my mates ammy team had a 15 yr old in the squad back in 2011. He was 16 shortly after the season started but he had to get changed by himself but was permitted to play 

A nice we Friday night jolly to Ainslie Park to take in Hutchison Vale v Crossgates Primrose. 

A comfortable 3-0 win for the home side who were worthy of the 3 points. They had more about them going forward, while Crossgates just never seemed to get going. Two very late first half goals where Crossgates just couldn't get it cleared and a 2nd half penalty did the job.

HV look a fairly decent side with quite a bit of pace and movement around them going forward. I thought they might struggle this season, but now having seen them, think they have enough to  e comfortable mid-table, if not a little higher. Crossgates looked a wee bit flat and struggled to create much... the 2 or 3 they did create were well saved by the HV keeper. Not sure if it was an off day for them, or the Friday night just doesn't suit, but from what I saw, they'll be doing well to stay up.

• 3 weeks later...

With about 1/3 of both the season and the fixtures elapsed: time to take stock.

Broxburn has built up a handy lead, though Jeanfield in particular could close this with games in hand.

Of last year's promoted quartet all but Dunbar are already battling going right back down.

image.png.4db7c6496b238d1948e16cedcde4bb4c.png

I’d been to Dunbar before but pre-stand and I hadn’t realised the community bar/hospitality area was there.  Putting football aside what a great venue this now is.  We walked into the hospitality area and had a couple of pints before the game. A decent menu of snacks and food available too. To cap it all off we are asked if we wanted to pre-order drinks for half time! Go on then.   We then sat in the stand which is ideal for this level and particularly today as it offered great shelter from the elements. Good banter between the fans. An unexpected Penicuik win to boot. What a great day. Sorry to Dunbar fans but your day will come, hopefully next week. Thanks for a terrific day.  

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Broxburn has built up a handy lead, though Jeanfield in particular could close this with games in hand.

As a Broxburn fan I have to say it’s good to be at the top. Another day we could have leaked points but didn’t. 

As well as Jeanfield there is Sauchie to worry about too. Since losing 3 of their opening 4 league games they are unbeaten and rapidly climbing the league must like last season.

43 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

As a Broxburn fan I have to say it’s good to be at the top. Another day we could have leaked points but didn’t. 

As well as Jeanfield there is Sauchie to worry about too. Since losing 3 of their opening 4 league games they are unbeaten and rapidly climbing the league must like last season.

In the 3 loses, Sauchie conceded 14 goals. After today’s matches only a further 4 goals have been shipped by the Sauchie defence. Haddington have lost their last 3 home league matches; to Sauchie, Broxburn and Musselburgh.

Only the Clackmannanshire team outplayed Haddington and appear, at this time, to be Broxburn’s main rivals, given amount of matches still to be played in the league. 

Edited by Casey Jones

On 22/10/2023 at 00:27, Jordi1977 said:

It is interesting to see the bottom 3 and it looks like it does show there is a little standard difference between the Premier and the First... so at that level, the pyramid is leveling out.

Luncarty have lost a lot of games by 1 goal and have now started winning

Of the bottom 3 i think they do stand a chance of staying up, especially once the Scottish cup run ends as that's been a massive focus for the club.

It does however show the conferences did their job as you are correct,  things are leveling out 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2023 at 16:22, Casey Jones said:

Honestly think that is nuts! Glenrothes get hammered by Jeanfield and still get 3pts deduction. I don’t know why under 16s are not permitted to play at this level (will try and find out), but surely a warning to the club would have been suffice on this occasion. If you are good enough to be playing at 15, what is the issue. 

If I was Glenrothes I would appeal the decision. 

If I was the player I would also appeal, if the player has the skill to do the job then is ageism not grounds for appeal