Huw Edwards

1 minute ago, jimmy boo said:

I've been in Ayr for 17 years and never heard such a thing from the 6 fingered yokels up country. Plenty of yins and twas and similar annoyances though. Its like they can't possibly be heard to pronounce words 'properly' and feel the need to change them to something incomprehensible. 

That your rant feeneeshed?

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I remember primary 1. This would be 40 years ago now. We started the class and one boy pronounced th as f. The teacher was a right stickler and we went over our sounds over and over again. But this lad got extra attention, over and over again. He had to say th. 

It did work, I should add. He changed his f to th. But the way it was done would never get allowed nowadays. Singled him out, and made him go over it over and over and over again.

Fank Thuck all that effort paid off.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I remember primary 1. This would be 40 years ago now. We started the class and one boy pronounced th as f. The teacher was a right stickler and we went over our sounds over and over again. But this lad got extra attention, over and over again. He had to say th. 

It did work, I should add. He changed his f to th. But the way it was done would never get allowed nowadays. Singled him out, and made him go over it over and over and over again.

I remember when I was in primary 3 getting pulled up by the teacher for saying baffs instead of baths. I have to keep saying it until I said it correctly.  It done me nae harm. 

7 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I remember when I was in primary 3 getting pulled up by the teacher for saying baffs instead of baths. I have to keep saying it until I said it correctly.  It done me nae harm. 

A few from my time in Manchester -

keckle for kettle

Pacific for specific

Wedensday for Wednesday 

Edited by hk blues

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

keckle for kettle

Pacific for specific

Wedensday for Wednesday 

A guy in engineering science in high school kept saying 'pacific heat capacity'. He really got the piss taken out of him by the teacher. 

Just now, Soapy FFC said:

A guy in engineering science in high school kept saying 'pacific heat capacity'. He really got the piss taken out of him by the teacher. 

The thing is, it wasn't one or two folk - it was pretty much everybody in the plant.   

It's been surreal to watch the Thames estuary accent evolve from using 'auhh' at the end of words with a hard 'a', to appending an 'r' after it. Goin' dahn ta Asdauhr, babes.

Congrats to Huw for managing to deflect onto his horrific accent, BTW. Dunno how he did it, but here we are.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

thank thuck for that

34 minutes ago, hk blues said:

keckle for kettle

Pacific for specific

Wedensday for Wednesday 

But this is how it's pronounced, or am I being whooshed?

1 minute ago, velo army said:

But this is how it's pronounced, or am I being whooshed?

My first thought too.  He is doing well to detect the difference anyway.  Must admit I foun it a struggle to spell Wednesday when in primary school.....often wrote Wedensday.

15 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

There's the other gear grinder of the tendency to switch grammar conventions. Namely, "I were outside" and "we was outside". 

Best read in a Lancashire accent to give full effect.

I were outside t'house t'other day.

2 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I started primary school in 1960.  Looking back the things that teachers seemed to place most importance on was utterly bizarre.

The only positive ‘fixation’ of that time was mental arithmetic.  Being able to deduct 15 from 90 without using a calculator may not seem important but is surely good for mental acuity.

People in shops who cannot do very simple sums pisses me off (I know PTTGOYN for this pish).

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I started primary school in 1960.  Looking back the things that teachers seemed to place most importance on was utterly bizarre.

The only positive ‘fixation’ of that time was mental arithmetic.  Being able to deduct 15 from 90 without using a calculator may not seem important but is surely good for mental acuity.

People in shops who cannot do very simple sums pisses me off (I know PTTGOYN for this pish).

Our grandson is amazed when I can answer radio quizzes like - "If you have 75 guineas and 75 half crowns how much do you have in total?", sometimes before the presenter has a chance to immediately repeat the question. 

£88.2/6d

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

My father claimed he was thick but he could work out the potential winnings from a Yankee in a heartbeat.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

My father claimed he was thick but he could work out the potential winnings from a Yankee in a heartbeat.

Many working class men were similar. A lot of them probably still are.

11 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Stuck a feather in his hat & called it macaroni?