Johnstone Burgh statement

17 minutes ago, Shanner said:

The prices are mind-blowing for some Lower League teams in Scotland.

I think Edinburgh City are £11 this season in the league which is pretty good, but then you need to go to that awful stadium to see them. 

I have had the opportunity on severaL occasions to watch SPFL for free and turned it down.

I have watched some great entertaining football over the years in the WOSFL/ Juniors paying between 5-9 pounds and it really is good value.   

5 minutes ago, Mine Man said:

I have had the opportunity on severaL occasions to watch SPFL for free and turned it down.

I have watched some great entertaining football over the years in the WOSFL/ Juniors paying between 5-9 pounds and it really is good value.   

why did you turn it down if it was free?

2 hours ago, Mine Man said:

The product is generally boring and  very easy to predict.

Oh yes,  the SPFL is very easy to predict,  just look how easy it was to get winners every week at the bookies on championship results, you just know who was going to win every week.

13 hours ago, Shanner said:

Can anyone expand on the theory of why Johnstone are going to significantly grow their long-term fanbase off the back of this circus when there are umpteen examples of clubs spending money only to see the Fairweather fans abandon them as soon as it stops? 

People there are sitting on Glasgow's doorstep (where all the trophies end up) and then you have St Mirren doing their best to attract young fans. They'll all have club loyalties already if they're half interested in football. 

people in the johnstone area already support a team be it saints,rangers,sellic or another.the one thing you don’t do in life is change your team.their best bet this season may be attracting rangers fans who are disgusted with their club.

3 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

people in the johnstone area already support a team be it saints,rangers,sellic or another.the one thing you don’t do in life is change your team.their best bet this season may be attracting rangers fans who are disgusted with their club.

Disgusted with their club? Top 2 every year, european football every single year, biggest budget in Scottish Football but disgusted with their club? Im fucking disgusted with them. I suppose they do do walking away then? Honestly sickens me when old firm fans give it this ‘best fans in the world pish’, where were the celtic fans when they were shite playing at Hampden? All these die hards who go every week and brought Seville to a standstill? Where were the Rangers fans who flooded Manchester when they could have saved their club? 
Why any non league team would want to attract unreliable glory hunters to go and watch them is beyond me. 

9 hours ago, Mine Man said:

The product is generally boring and  very easy to predict.

If you find the Championship easy to predict you're probably sitting with your feet up on a Caribbean island and banned from every bookie in the country.

I never really get this thing about supposed football fans going out of their way to tell everyone they don't like football unless it's done in a very specific way. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the arguments about pricing, obscene wages, souless grounds, etc, but the actual product on the field is objectively superior because that's how a pyramid works. 

14 hours ago, Mine Man said:

You're preaching to the converted. We, on here, know it's good value. The issue is convincing others who don't attend any football.

Regulars at League clubs, will rarely become regulars at non league. The majority who stop attending, stop all together.

5 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

........the one thing you don’t do in life is change your team.

This is the important point. Real football fans know this and, not matter how good things are or how bad things are at your club, they are your team.

Building a support in an already populated area with lots of other teams in a close vicinity and easy modern transport links to these clubs is a hard task, I know it only too well from my efforts to raise Glencairn's profile. Yes you can get one-off special occasions where you attract a big crowd (e.g. 1400 fans supporting us at the Scottish Junior Cup Final), but in reality if you get one in twenty of them to come back regularly then you've won a watch.

I wish Johnstone Burgh well as, from what I've been told, there is more than just the "throw money at players" plan that is appearing on the surface at the moment. It's not going to be easy for them to develop the club quickly into an SPFL standard outfit, but let's not knock people for having vision and ambition.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

I wish Johnstone Burgh well as, from what I've been told, there is more than just the "throw money at players" plan that is appearing on the surface at the moment. It's not going to be easy for them to develop the club quickly into an SPFL standard outfit, but let's not knock people for having vision and ambition.

Well no, let's knock them for signing players they patently cannot afford on their club's existing revenue because that's not a demonstration of 'vision' at all. Any club at their level and indeed levels above in the pyramid would do the same but don't have the Walter Mitty backing to do so. 

If JB were getting the best from their existing level's group of players and building an excellent infrastructure to organically develop the club then that wouldn't be worthy of criticism. The Gretna/Darvel model of 'ambishun' is risible at every level of the pyramid.

It can be done though with the right people behind it and the right bottom to top infrastructure. 
Inverness and Ross County are two prime examples of teams who started in Highland league but made it all way to top. I've no idea the types of regulars home support they had prior to seniors but would be interesting to know if they did increase significantly.

I appreciate the argument that people don't change clubs and yes I still follow my senior team on paper but would still rather take in a junior (WOSFL) game now for value for money. 
The kind of interest Johnstone are generating may just encourage the younger generation to want to go along and drag their senior supporting parents with them which in turn will create a new fan base for futures to come if the clubs vision and progress comes to fruition.

I don't agree with the signings or money they are paying out but no one can deny it's put Burgh on the football map again and might just be the catalyst to a whole new sustainable support 

14 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Disgusted with their club? Top 2 every year, european football every single year, biggest budget in Scottish Football but disgusted with their club? Im fucking disgusted with them. I suppose they do do walking away then? Honestly sickens me when old firm fans give it this ‘best fans in the world pish’, where were the celtic fans when they were shite playing at Hampden? All these die hards who go every week and brought Seville to a standstill? Where were the Rangers fans who flooded Manchester when they could have saved their club? 
Why any non league team would want to attract unreliable glory hunters to go and watch them is beyond me. 

Hampden so I was

9 hours ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

It can be done though with the right people behind it and the right bottom to top infrastructure. 
Inverness and Ross County are two prime examples of teams who started in Highland league but made it all way to top. I've no idea the types of regulars home support they had prior to seniors but would be interesting to know if they did increase significantly.

I appreciate the argument that people don't change clubs and yes I still follow my senior team on paper but would still rather take in a junior (WOSFL) game now for value for money. 
The kind of interest Johnstone are generating may just encourage the younger generation to want to go along and drag their senior supporting parents with them which in turn will create a new fan base for futures to come if the clubs vision and progress comes to fruition.

I don't agree with the signings or money they are paying out but no one can deny it's put Burgh on the football map again and might just be the catalyst to a whole new sustainable support 

Ross County will be in the Highland League 5 years after Roy McGregor dies, closely followed by McMade Up FC.

19 hours ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

"Mummy, can we go and see Kyle Lafferty today?"

"No darling, he's a c*nt".