Johnstone Burgh statement

On 09/08/2023 at 12:30, Plantar fasciitis said:

It can be done though with the right people behind it and the right bottom to top infrastructure. 
Inverness and Ross County are two prime examples of teams who started in Highland league but made it all way to top. I've no idea the types of regulars home support they had prior to seniors but would be interesting to know if they did increase significantly.

I appreciate the argument that people don't change clubs and yes I still follow my senior team on paper but would still rather take in a junior (WOSFL) game now for value for money. 
The kind of interest Johnstone are generating may just encourage the younger generation to want to go along and drag their senior supporting parents with them which in turn will create a new fan base for futures to come if the clubs vision and progress comes to fruition.

I don't agree with the signings or money they are paying out but no one can deny it's put Burgh on the football map again and might just be the catalyst to a whole new sustainable support 

Ross County and the Inverness teams were always "seniors".

1 hour ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

Highland league though prior to any pyramid system and on joining the Scottish leagues quickly went up through the league with shrewd investment 

ICT have never played in the Highland League.

Think we are splitting hairs here and missing my point, I am just using these teams as an example of what can be down with sustained investment, starting at the bottom and working way up season to season to the premier league. No reason why Johnstone can't if done right. And I queried if the fan base of the two Highland teams have expanded considerably since the times in the lower reaches ? 

11 minutes ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

Think we are splitting hairs here and missing my point, I am just using these teams as an example of what can be down with sustained investment, starting at the bottom and working way up season to season to the premier league. No reason why Johnstone can't if done right. And I queried if the fan base of the two Highland teams have expanded considerably since the times in the lower reaches ? 

Are you saying the more money you spend, there's a better chance you'll be successful? This is a game changer!

2 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

As explained by Jacksgranda above, the Highland League teams were always senior.

Whilst the level was maybe classed as senior it’s not too much of a stretch to say that, at that time, it was a similar situation to the juniors. A strong league with no pathway to the top 4 divisions.

I’ve got no idea how big a club Ross County were prior to getting into the then Division 3 but, from my memory, Junior clubs have always been at a similar level on the park to most of what was previously classed as the highland league……although I’m probably basing that on 2000 onwards so appreciate 8/10 years earlier  it might be different.

Edited by Sortmeout

59 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Whilst the level was maybe classed as senior it’s not too much of a stretch to say that, at that time, it was a similar situation to the juniors. A strong league with no pathway to the top 4 divisions.

I’ve got no idea how big a club Ross County were prior to getting into the then Division 3 but, from my memory, Junior clubs have always been at a similar level on the park to most of what was previously classed as the highland league……although I’m probably basing that on 2000 onwards so appreciate 8/10 years earlier  it might be different.

The juniors had no access to the Scottish Cup way back then. The Senior Leagues, SFL, SPL, HL, EoSL, SoSl, plus outliers like Girvan, Glasgow Uni and Golspie did.

3 minutes ago, rockson said:

The juniors had no access to the Scottish Cup way back then. The Senior Leagues, SFL, SPL, HL, EoSL, SoSl, plus outliers like Girvan, Glasgow Uni and Golspie did.

Aye. I actually forgot when I was making my earlier post that Highland league teams wouldn’t have played in the Junior Cup, there was so many ties between the Junior sides and the HL in the last 10/15 years since they’ve been in the senior cup.